Fireworks and pets

Tringa

Numpty of the Day'
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone have a pet that is badly affected by fireworks?

Have to say our dog, Dino, is startled by many loud, sudden noises but he becomes a quivering, drooling wreck when he hears fireworks.

This is him doing, probably, his second favourite thing -

- his favourite thing is wanting to making life shorter for anything fox sized or smaller. I haven't mentioned people, all of which he doesn't like unless he knows them.

We try to manage fireworks with Nutracalm, Apadtil and getting him under a table. Anyone else got any ideas.

Dave

Just spent the last 3 hours searching woodland for a dog that got startled and ran off last night. He’d been alone in the woods petrified since 7.30 last night after the owner opened the front door to put something in the bin and the dog bolted when a firework went off.
He was spotted about 5 miles away last night, and then several sightings this morning suggested he was heading in the direction back home.
Thankfully he was found a little battered and bruised a little while back. He did well to survive out there overnight with all the wild boar about.

Our dog sebbe hates them, he violently shakes and cries. Part of the reason we moved to the middle of nowhere, we just really get them anymore. When we lived in the city, it was pretty much everyday from the end of October to New Year’s Day.
Other puppy Tilly has never experienced them, but she hears gunshots everyday, so hopefully she’d be ok with them.

My old German Shepherd absolutely hated them, and would get really quite scared. Our current lurcher on the other hand couldn't get a tinkers cuss, barely seems to notice them at all.

2 just bark, our Border Collie panics. We'll be at home tonight to try and comfort her and keep her distracted.

My old GSD absolutely loved fireworks and thunderstorms. She would sit in the garden and watch them. Quite bizarre.

Benny the cat isn't so keen. Not petrified, but prefers to be on the sofa this time of year until the noise dies down, then off on his nightly jaunts again.

Get yourself some Dr Bach Rock Rose Just a few drops in the water normally does the trick. My Wolfhound was terrified the first night of fireworks last year. Used the Rock Rose and the second night, he was still frightened but actually fell asleep whilst they were all going off. Holland and Barrett normally stock all of Dr Bach's remedies.

Our Husky-x-Labrador will be a trembling wreck again once they start tonight. She's always been like it and living in the city certainly doesn't help her.

She had an early walk this afternoon so won't need to go out again tonight. We've tried all sorts of medication but none of them are totally effective. It'll be a late night making a fuss of her tonight :)
_DSC5445-Edit.jpg by Steve Goodfellow, on Flickr

Our cat doesn't really bat an eyelid and usually sleeps through them. Sometimes if she is awake though she will sit at the living room window and watch them.

Varies. Seems to depend how close they are, i the distance and one of our cats gets very anxious. One year he got stressed out and ended up with bladder problems.

Wouldn't be so bad if you could predict the things, but it seems to be every night for a fortnight either side of bonfire night.

Our Cats used to be terrified of them, but now they are old, they are fine with them. Our dog used to bark, and go berserk when she heard the fireworks. But now being an old dog, she is fine with it, as her hearing is not so good.

Our Husky-x-Labrador will be a trembling wreck again once they start tonight. She's always been like it and living in the city certainly doesn't help her.

She had an early walk this afternoon so won't need to go out again tonight. We've tried all sorts of medication but none of them are totally effective. It'll be a late night making a fuss of her tonight :)
_DSC5445-Edit.jpg by Steve Goodfellow, on Flickr

Is that Bungle from Rainbow? :D

My cat never cared, might look round if there was a loud bang fairly close, but that was about it.

Cat isn't too fond of them but is getting better than she was. Seems happy enough on the sofa beside Mrs Nod at the moment. Probably won't want to go out later but she's got the litter box option if she needs it.

Mum and Dad's previous cat used to love 'em and would sit on the window sill watching them in the field behind the cottage.

Benny is happily snoozing on the back of a sofa.
Armageddon going on outside.
I think he's sorted. :)

The battle of the Somme started a little while ago, no dogs here to be scared.
In fact all mine were "Manned" to noise, from a very early age, they never worried about bonfire (fort)night.

There was a guy on the TV earlier defending the public use of fireworks, claiming they are much quieter than they were 10 years ago.
Anyone else thinks he was lying?

As I write this our cat Willow is hiding behind the sofa due to fireworks outside, she hates it.

fireworks have never really worried them

20481-1541273850-40826814dbbb772507348008155b827e.jpg

In fact all mine were "Manned" to noise, from a very early age, they never worried about bonfire (fort)night.

There was a guy on the TV earlier defending the public use of fireworks, claiming they are much quieter than they were 10 years ago.

He is either lying or deaf.
Those types who infest parliament think that everything can be solved by making laws. There is legislation governing the power of fireworks, but it is widely ignored and no significant attempt is made to enforce it.
I can understand how some people can enjoy the visual spectacle of fireworks, but why anyone would want to hear deafening bangs is beyond comprehension.

I love fire works but since seeing a perfectly strong willed confident dog visibly shake uncontrollably at the first salvo i wont use them again.

3 xanax at 5pm is the only solution

He is either lying or deaf.
Those types who infest parliament think that everything can be solved by making laws. There is legislation governing the power of fireworks, but it is widely ignored and no significant attempt is made to enforce it.
I can understand how some people can enjoy the visual spectacle of fireworks, but why anyone would want to hear deafening bangs is beyond comprehension.

Sound is a key part for me. All the bangs and whizzes. Quiet fireworks don’t have the impact.

Our cat has always been scared when the fireworks start,he is almost 16 years old now,he is a little better.
When i hear the fireworks starting i either turn the tv up or put music on & turn the volume up.:D

When i hear the fireworks starting i either turn the tv up or put music on & turn the volume up.:D
I see from your avatar that at least you have the decency to give him ear phones rather than annoy the neighbours :D

This week we discovered that our 7 month old Labrador is frightened of Fireworks, someone let a couple off mid-week and Holly was in the living room trembling. We live right on the edge of Strensall Common and we often hear gunfire from the ranges, this doesn't seem to bother Holly.

Where we live now is in a village for the last 7 years & it is not too bad,my cat loves music.:):banana:

Our 6 month old cat had his 1st experience of bonfire night last night (school around the corner hosts an annual extravaganza and it's very loud) and he pretty much ignored the whole thing.

7 year old tom cat went out 1st thing and finally came home at 10 30 demanding his supper. God knows where he'd been but he was probably out somewhere watching the fireworks and twirling a sparkler going "ooh, ahh"! :D

Our Miniature Schnauzer is currently on a 3 day course of, 3 times a day, tranquillisers, he is that badly affected. My wife & I spent two hours in a lay-by in the middle of no-where last night with "Dave" the dog, engine running, fan on, radio on, as our local school has a display every year. Last year I did a 120 mile round trip to somewhere, just to get him away. Not good, dreading the next two nights...

My greyhound would snooze through an A- bomb test, but I know a lot of other pets have real problems. I love fireworks but wish displays could be limited to bonfire weekend and New Years Eve rather than dragging on for days and days either side.

No mate, that's the wife hiding behind the dog :)
OUCH! donations or flowers? :D
but he was probably out somewhere watching the fireworks and twirling a sparkler going "ooh, ahh"! :D
:LOL:

I love fireworks but wish displays could be limited to bonfire weekend and New Years Eve rather than dragging on for days and days either side.
Exactly! re my point about fireworks (fort)night

I hate to say it but the in-laws dog always seemed much better if MIL wasnt around fretting about how it’s coping, I suspect it was picking up her anxiety for the dog and thinking it should be worried.

Luckily it’s gone deaf now anyway...

I think there's something in that, but some dogs are just inherently more bothered than others. The collie we had when I was growing up had issues with fireworks and thunder, we didn't fuss over her or anything. It might be to do with whether they experience such things as pups.

I've never had a dog that reacted at all to fireworks, or to any other loud noise.
The problems are almost invariably caused by by nice, sympathtic owners who reassure the dogs and try to protect them, often by taking them away from the noise as far as possible, which of course has the opposite effect because it makes the dogs think that there is actually something to worry about. If, on the other hand, we ignore the noise ourselves, the dog will look at us, see that we're not bothered and will feel safe.
fireworks have never really worried them

20481-1541273850-40826814dbbb772507348008155b827e.jpg
Precisely. I've always taken my dogs clay pigeon shooting with me, and they've all enjoyed it immensely.

My sister's neighbour had a firework party last year, scared the living sihts our her Tan-coloured Welsh border collie that he jumped the wall and went missing for three days.

He hadn't jumped the wall before but got the taste of it, second excursion ended by a car. Touch and go whether he'd get round but had a front paw amputated as it wasn't healing... Can't help just feeling the hate for fireworks now.

They really should stop selling fireworks to the great unwashed and just have organised local displays at schools/parks. Wouldnt be so bad if everyone let them off on the same night at roughly the same time. But no, they all want to set them off when it suits them.

haha, sounds like she's a smart cookie!

Oh yeah, make a fuss of her and she'll be your friend for life ... well, until the next person comes along and makes a fuss :)

They really should stop selling fireworks to the great unwashed and just have organised local displays at schools/parks. Wouldnt be so bad if everyone let them off on the same night at roughly the same time. But no, they all want to set them off when it suits them.

Agreed - the largest problem of misuse lies with the snivelling little scrotes that get their hands on them.
In the last 10 years the amount of injuries requiring hospital treatment has doubled.
There is no justification for allowing the general public to have fireworks.

Last edited:
Back