first attempt at water droplets

Edit My Images
Yes
well, i have myself 3 weeks off work so i thought i would make a start in doing all the creative photography i've wanted to do for ages, decided to start off with water droplet's. out of 300ish clicks these were the ones that made me feel i actually achieved something. :)

camera set on tripod, stool placed against a wall, oven tray with water put on it. crayon put in water to manual focus. latter placed over stool and bag of water hung from ladder with pin hole in it. my god did i make a mess... got a strange look from the Mrs almost saying "im not even going to ask" :LOL:

full manual setting, iso800, shutter 1/200, f/8 speedlight set to manual, power set to 1/16 - 1/32.

please be gentle.... :p

DSC_0199 by ghumra, on Flickr

DSC_0159 by ghumra, on Flickr

DSC_0112 by ghumra, on Flickr

DSC_0092 by ghumra, on Flickr

DSC_0083 by ghumra, on Flickr

DSC_0074 by ghumra, on Flickr

thanks for looking.

thanks, i think the metallic sheen came from the oven dish i was using, it had the granite type specles on it.

im lighting it the most basic way possible. the sb-600 mounted on the camera angled towards the wall im bouncing off.

hoping to get a hotshoe extender soon which i hope will give me more creativitiy.

im lighting it the most basic way possible. the sb-600 mounted on the camera angled towards the wall im bouncing off.

hoping to get a hotshoe extender soon which i hope will give me more creativitiy.

I'd suggest a cheap off camera flash cord (about a tenner on ebay) or a set of manual radio triggers. Great for all sorts of applications:)

ghummy, these pics look a lot like mine are coming out at the moment. Good for a first attempt, and I hope we can improve to the levels of some on here.

Getting the focus right seems to be the hardest thing!

ghummy, these pics look a lot like mine are coming out at the moment. Good for a first attempt, and I hope we can improve to the levels of some on here.

Getting the focus right seems to be the hardest thing!

to be honest i found the focus part the easiest using the pencil in the water method. one the bag was dropping water i placed a bright yellow pencil exactly were the drops were landing and then set the camera to single poing autofocus. set the af point to where the pencil meets the water, pressed the shutter half way to let it focus, then whilst keeping the shutter half way pressed just flicked the switch on the lends to manual focus and let go of the shutter.

thanks.

Great pics. No2 is my personal fave. All the others seem a little on the dark side for me. Great tip on the focusing too. Cheers for that ;)

no problem at all. :) yes they are dark, maybe because i bounced the flash off dark colours, so next time i might try bouncing off white and set the sb-600 to flash at 1/16 rather than the 1/32 i used.

heres one i tried to salvage, since i shot them all in RAW i thought i would have a play with the exposure compensation, heres the result

edit. by ghumra, on Flickr

Last edited:
far better than my first attemps really like the single droplet shots

Back