First camera and latest camera

My first 35mm camera was a Cosmic 35, my latest buy was I think A lumix TZ80.

Boots 126 in 1979 when I was 11, followed by a Kodak Retinette and Retina Reflex S handed down.

First camera I bought with my own money is a Chinon CP-7m

Latest Nikon D850, on this forum.

My first was a Zenith EM followed by a Pentax MX. This was a brilliant camera and I learned an awful lot with it. Still wish I'd kept it.

My first camera was a Kodak 36 Instamatic and I still have it but haven't used it for decades. I wonder if you can still get film for it? The last camera I bought and still have was either my Panasonic TZ100 or Gm5, I'm not sure which. I did buy others after those but I sold them on.

I am sure that my over 10 year old Sony A7 is the best camera I've ever owned and the worst was a keychain digital camera I briefly had years ago. I can't think what happened to it but the pictures it took were technically awful by just about any standard :D

As far as interchangeable cameras go, mine was a 350D, back in 2007 (ish). My latest camera purchase was an R7, which I run alongside a 5Div.

If we really go back, to about 1990 ( I wasn't into photography then ), I was given a Zenit E, that never worked. I ran one film through it and it was blank when processed. I never ran another film through it but I still have it to this day, makes a great ornament. (y)

My first interchangeable lens camera was a Canon AE-1 for my eighteenth birthday. My latest is a Canon M5.

I no longer have the AE-1, but do still have it's replacement (I have a bit of a problem discarding things), a Canon F-1. I still use it, and still love it. I think I must have got it, secondhand, in 1984.

First interchangeable was my Yashica FX3 Super 2000 - mid 90's, still use it now.

Last interchangeable was the A7Riii body about a year ago to go alongside the A7.

A Nikon F + 50mm lens back in the early '80s

Most recent, a Ricoh GR3X

First ILC (but not first camera, which was a Kodak Instamatic) was a Zenith of some sort. Latest is my Nikon Z5

My first proper(?) camera was the Exa1a with IIRC 50mm Distagon lens & waist level viewfinder (always craved the pentaprism finder but could never afford it! Long since sold .....kind of wished I still had it.

Currently the Olympus OM1 (OM System)

Reactions: zx9
First ICL camera was a Nikon F-301 (various point and shoots before that), now using a Fuji XT-5 :)

Last edited:
I got my first ILC (not first camera) in the early seventies and it was an Olympus OM1 (I still have it). I really can't understand why they've called their recent one the OM1 too. :facepalm:

My most modern (I have many cameras) is the Nikon D850.

My very first camera was a Kodak Brownie 127.
My first ILC was a Zenith E & Helios 58mm in 1971.
My current one is an OM System OM-5.

First DSLR was a Sony A200, stayed with Sony and now have an A6000 for travel, an A7iv as main camera and an A900 as backup (the A7iv replaced the second A900).

First was a Pentax ME Super bought in 1981. Latest is a constantly changing situation as I just bought some Topcon SLR's at auction along with a Canon T90.

I guess you could say my Olympus EM1 MkII is my 'latest' camera being made in 2016.

My first interchangable lens camera was a Voigtlander VSL1 about 1977
Latest camera bought a canon 90D last spring and just got a 5Dii

Last edited:
Pentax S1a. Although it was an SLR, I didn't change lens for a couple of years since I couldn't afford anything other than the (IIRC)55mm f/2.2 lens it came with! Most recent is a Fuji X-H1.

My first camera would have been a little Instamatic, I think. In some ways I haven't progressed that much because my last camera was a Canon FTB QL. Although, that just because I'm a bit of a collector, and that's not taking into account my Fujifilm XT3, which I suppose was my last, proper camera.

First: Canon AE-1 (1981)
Latest: Canon EOS R6 Mk II (2023)

First : Praktica MTL3 which went all over the world on Her Majesty’s voyages.

Last : Nikon Z6 brilliant little camera.

A Nikon D50 with 18-70mm lens back in about 2005. A nice setup, bit the slowness of it lead me to a D2H, which was quick for sure, bit not up to the sensor in the D50. I've since gone D300 - D7100 - Z6. With an F80 I used a bit in the middle.

1976. Pentax Spotmatic. Lost in motorcycle accident.
Currently GFX 100S

First....Praktica MTL3....

Now..... Nikon D810

Couple of years ago came across a mint MTL3 and that became the start of me collecting cameras I've previously owned and have added mint a Chinon CE-5, Nikon D70 and D200 since.

What was you first interchangeable lens camera and your latest.
Ok, 'interchangeable' is a bit of a qualifier that you didn't stress in the thread title. That's a hint that you could communicate better - but you could be some sort of '-lexic' or '-istic', and I forgive you anyway.

My 1st interchangeable was a Praktica FX2, bought used when I was about 18.

fx-2.jpg

But it didn't have that lens on it, I bought it as body only. I got one of these:

teleennalyt2890.jpg

And that's what I had for years. Blimey, those were the days.

None of it should matter to anyone any more. It's all just memories. But here's a picture taken with the above: it's a long- fallen beech tree that's sprouted a row of trunks ...

beech-resprout.jpg

Last edited:
Praktica MTL5b
Latest Canon R6
If I ignore quantities and cameras bought for experiments and trade. It’s my 11th.

Hi, 1. PORST (PRACTICA) CX6 in 1973, latest purchase SONY A7ii.

What an interesting selection, good to see a few Praktica's in there. If my memory is correct you could buy the Praktica and Zenit's from the catalogues. Thats how I got mine with my mum paying for it weekly. No Minoltas in there, I still think it's a shame their name stopped once Sony bought them.

What an interesting selection, good to see a few Praktica's in there. If my memory is correct you could buy the Praktica and Zenit's from the catalogues. Thats how I got mine with my mum paying for it weekly. No Minoltas in there, I still think it's a shame their name stopped once Sony bought them.
Hi, my second SLR was a MINOLTA XD7, bought 1981, and my first digital camera was MINOLTA F300 (5MP), bought 2003.

Yep, my Praktica came from a catalogue, and of course paid for by my mum!!! My mate had a Zenit EM, but I chose the MTL3 for the TTL metering.... My next camera was a Chinon CE-5 which I bought myself and I got much better results with that one... I still have the CE-5 and it still works!!!

My Zenith was with TTL metering. At that time, the Practika was almost three times as expensive. My current camera is a Canon R6, but I stil using the lens from my first camera. It produce amazing swirl bokeh.
Yep, my Praktica came from a catalogue, and of course paid for by my mum!!! My mate had a Zenit EM, but I chose the MTL3 for the TTL metering.... My next camera was a Chinon CE-5 which I bought myself and I got much better results with that one... I still have the CE-5 and it still works!!!

My Zenith was with TTL metering. At that time, the Practika was almost three times as expensive. My current camera is a Canon R6, but I stil using the lens from my first camera. It produce amazing swirl bokeh.
Are you saying I was posh with a Praktica :) I still have photos taken with my MTL50 in albums that I will always cherish

Back