First Flashgun

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys,
Looking for a little advice...
I'm looking to buy my first flash for my Nikon d5100 it will be used mainly with a 35mm lens for indoor portrait and candid shots. The SB700 ticks all the boxes but i can't really justify spending that much just to use around the house? I would like the flash to work with Nikon ttl if possible, any thoughts or ideas....

Thanks!

Hi pal. I too have the D5100 and have literally just received my first Flashgun today!! I opted for the Metz 44 due to it looking fairly simple to use and having some good reviews. I have only had it out the box a matter of hours but must say I am VERY pleased with the results!

Thanks Lee
For the price of a used sb600 on ebay around £140+ I think i would rather buy new and have a 12 month warranty, I did notice a brand called yongnuo they have a few different models, does anyone have any experience of these?

Higgy

Will have a look at the Metz 44, does it work with Nikon ttl ?

Yongnuo seems to have started as a budget Chinese brand whose sole selling point was rock bottom prices.

It seems from reading around that their reputation is growing a lot for reliable good value flashes.

Personally I'd love a 568 but the only thing missing for me is the ability to plug in an external power pack. But then for the price they are selling them for maybe I'm being unrealistic!

I have just purchased the Yongnuo YN468-11 for my 5100,as i couldnt justify the price of a Nikon one,works well and seems reasonable quality.

Andy

I have just purchased the Yongnuo YN468-11 for my 5100,as i couldnt justify the price of a Nikon one,works well and seems reasonable quality.

Andy

I didn't realise the YN468-II was iTTL. Could you tell me how many seconds it takes to recycle from a full powered flash please? On the website it says 5 seconds but I've seen some manufacturer's be a bit optimistic with their timings.

Where? I'd have snapped their hands off for that but I dont see it on their website. Just a Nissin 866 Mk2 I saw today when I was visiting which looked like it'd been dropped owing to a plastic bit which had broken off.

Kingpin, Yes the Metz 44 works with Nikon TTL and is very simple to use with no daunting screens. It's build quality is very sturdy with it being German and has a lovely feel to it. The recharge time is approx 4 seconds...

Thanks Guys,
Both the Metz and Yongnuo look good value, I'll have to do a little research and see which models will best suit my needs...or bite the bullet and get the sb700...arrrgh!

I have a Yongnuo 467 II. I use it either as a walkabout flash - on camera bounced off walls and ceilings in ttl mode for auto settings. Or for more thoughtful things I use it off camera with wireless triggers with the camera in manual mode.

It does the job. It's lasted a year so far. Build quality is good enough to mean it has lived for a year in a house full of cats, babies and clumsy old me.

Back