First trip to Longleat - what's the advice?

Edit My Images
No
Hi,
I'm planning my first trip to Longleat in the summer (Mrs Pints and the HalfPints in tow), and I'm looking for some advice on how to be best prepared for getting at least one or two decent shots out of my DSLR.

Several years ago I visited Addo Elephant Park in SA, and managed to get a few respectable shots with my bridge (Canon S3 is).

So what should I look out for when it comes to setting up my camera beforehand? Presumably longest lens in my kit bag (55-250mm), low ISO, white balance to prevailing conditions, high shutter speed. Or if that's all poo, tell me.

I'm still a novice user and wasn't especially pleased with the Bristol zoo shots I took last summer, so all advice appreciated.

Any tumbleweed smileys available?

Have I posted in the wrong section?​

Hiya.

I pretty much live in Longleat, so can help where I can.

There are two main parts to Longleat. The safari park and the house and sourrounding attractions / animals.

This is what I normally do.

Go straight to the Safari park entrance - not the house entrance and be there ten mins before opening. Go straight round the safari and don't stop at the giraffe (african village), you can do that again later. You will get as quiet a drive through as is possible. Use the longest lens you have, put the camera in an ISO setting which you feel comfy with and that allows at least 1/200th of a second. When shooting in the open areas this will be fine and you won't struggle. When you get to the lion enclosure don't worry if you don't get anything too exciting, the lions will be closer and in the open in the second one. Again being there early you won't feel too pressured from cars behind you. The tigers are normally by the gates waiting for food if you are there early, so they will be nice and close by.

When you have done the Safari go and park by the house and go straight to the boat. It will be busy later, but plenty of people take ages to find it, so get in there early. Again you will need the long lens for Nico if he is out. The sealions are pretty cool too. From there chill out and spend time in the gardens, other animals, house etc. We normally do the 12 noon bird show, but come what may make sure you do one of them. Sit on the far side halfway up. The light is good there and the birds fly right over your head. The front isn't so good - in my opinion.

When you have finished doing everything that's on offer go back and do the safari again, this time stopping the African village. The lemurs are brilliant and I quite like the Wallabys too. Again some people miss them, but they are worth a look.

Oh and when you have finished there is a walk on the outside of the park that takes you to a really nice view point with some monuments on it. It looks over the house etc. I recommend half hour there too.

With regards to settings. If the animal is static use one shot, if it's moving (bird show) use AI Servo. I shoot in AV and the results are normally not too shabby.

Feel free to have a look at my FlickR page for sample images and ask any other questions. Oh and who knows, I might even see you there.

One point that Gary missed is to get the windows as clean as possible before going through the cats' enclosures - you'll be shooting through them!

One point that Gary missed is to get the windows as clean as possible before going through the cats' enclosures - you'll be shooting through them!
Very good point. I'll have to remember to take glass cleaner and microfibre cloth along. Even if I set off with a clean car, the windows will pick up crap on the trip down.

(y)

I haven't been for years but I do remember getting there early being a must. Some good tips on this thread.

Oh and no damage done to the car, think we had the head monkey sat on the roof:woot:

Last edited:
Back