First Wedding On Friday - Preparation Help Please

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
I've got my first wedding on Friday and I'm sooo nervous, just trying to get everything ready and be as prepared as possible.

The bride and groom are friends of friends and know this is my first wedding. The groom is a full time pro automotive tog, they had another tog lined up but were let down. He has openly said he like the idea of giving someone their first shot at a wedding and has seen the stuff we normally do on our website.

SWMBO is going to be there assisting and organising, she has great people skills and will also act as a second tog when possible.

We've met the B+G at the venue, they have specifically asked us to concetrate on candid shots with just a few posed groups.

We've made up a shots list, with a timeline so we can try and make sure we are in the right place at the right time and can see on paper how they day should flow.

I've also got a list of the detail shots they would like, so will be taking some test shots later to experiment with positioning of shoes/rings etc.

As for gear, I think we are just about there now.

Im intending on using -

D700 with
17-35mm Tamron
24-70mm Nikon
85mm f/1.4 Nikon

D300 with (SWMBO)
17-55mm Nikon

backup/alternative lenses -

70-200 Nikon
50mm f/1.4 Sigma

Other gear -

SB900 x2
Ezyfold softbox x1 + stand
studio strobes+softboxes x2 (in case of crap weather)
lightmeter
Silver/white reflector

4 x 4gb Sandisk Ultra II cards
4 x 8gb Sandisk Ultra II cards
20 x 2100mah AA batteries
7 x camera batteries (EL3e)

2 x umbrella's (1 x white, 1 x black)
1 x wooden coathanger
1 x nice pen

chargers for camera batteries and AA's, just in case.

We'll be taking our laptop so can clear down some of the memory cards if we look like running out of space.

So what am I missing (apart from wedding experience), anything else I can practice or prepare for before the day? I think what I'm most nervous about is it being blazing sunshine as there is very little shade outside (see this thread HERE). Then again the light inside the hotel is awful, relatively small windows and high ceilings, with fake candle lights with orange glass shades! Good job they like black and white......

thanks in advance :)

I'd say NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER clear down memory cards on the day. What if your hard disk fails, or more likely what if you accidentally clear down a card you haven't backed up - yes this is possible, you're doing your first wedding, you'll be stressed.
buy more cards, Myself and my assistant take 4x4gb plus 4x2gb cards in total just to make sure - and at some weddings you can still run out

Other than that - NEVER NEVER NEVER clear your cards!!

Do you think I have a strong opinion about this?

So let me just clarify - so don't think I should clear down any cards on the day LOL? (it was only going to be something we would do if we absolutely had to)

I can't see SWMBO getting through more than 2 x 8gb, which leaves me with 4x4gb and then 2 x 8gb as spares. Do you think thats enough, if not I need to get an order in sharpish!

So let me just clarify - so don't think I should clear down any cards on the day LOL? (it was only going to be something we would do if we absolutely had to)

I can't see SWMBO getting through more than 2 x 8gb, which leaves me with 4x4gb and then 2 x 8gb as spares. Do you think thats enough, if not I need to get an order in sharpish!

How many images does a 4Gb card hold roughly in a D700?

Kit wise you seem to have it nailed, you've got far more than I've had for my first 2 weddings, so I'm sure there won't be a problem.
Learning from my mistakes I'd say that you need to be totally sorted on how you are going to use flash, make sure that your atrocious weather plan is thought through, so that you don't waste valuable time on group shots. Oh, and find a flock of sheep so that you can practise rounding everyone up for the big group :D

Edit totally agree on not wiping the cards!!

I think thats loads of cards - bear in mind that if you shoot compressed, lossless raw on a d700 you'll get ca 350 shots on a 4gb and (I presume) 700 on an 8 gb. You're going to have ca 3.5k shots before you run out of memry and you'll have to process that lot afterwards. Don't clear your cards down on the day., ever - I agree with K on this one.

You'll end up using your 24-70 as your work horse lens on the day, but I think you need to consider using the 70-200 as well and maybe droping the 85 after you've done the getting ready shots.I think the 85 renders colour differently from newer Nikons, but others disagree so that only my opinion. I'll post some examples later if you want.

Where abouts is it?

Hugh

How many images does a 4Gb card hold roughly in a D700?

Kit wise you seem to have it nailed, you've got far more than I've had for my first 2 weddings, so I'm sure there won't be a problem.
Learning from my mistakes I'd say that you need to be totally sorted on how you are going to use flash, make sure that your atrocious weather plan is thought through, so that you don't waste valuable time on group shots. Oh, and find a flock of sheep so that you can practise rounding everyone up for the big group :D

Last time I filled one it was around 260...

The ceilings are high but not too high so I think it will be bounce for most of the time inside.

We have a nice sized room that we can set the studio lights up in if we have too, fingers crossed it won't be necessary.

There are 3 bestmen, we are going to make up group shot cards with the names on, and then use them to help round up the people we need.

bear in mind best men vary from excellent to carp so don't rely on this. Do everybody first when you do the groups abnd then whittle it down to the smaller groups so the ones who want to be in the bar get there quickly

Hugh

I think thats loads of cards - bear in mind that if you shoot compressed, lossless raw on a d700 you'll get ca 350 shots on a 4gb and (I presume) 700 on an 8 gb. You're going to have ca 3.5k shots before you run out of memry and you'll have to process that lot afterwards. Don't clear your cards down on the day., ever - I agree with K on this one.

You'll end up using your 24-70 as your work horse lens on the day, but I think you need to consider using the 70-200 as well and maybe droping the 85 after you've done the getting ready shots.I think the 85 renders colour differently from newer Nikons, but others disagree so that only my opinion. I'll post some examples later if you want.

Where abouts is it?

Hugh

At the moment I shoot with 14 bit colour, do you use 12 bit Hugh, hence I probably only fit 260 per card.

Hotel is in Tunbridge Well - Hotel Du Vin http://www.hotelduvin.com/tunbridge_wells/

bear in mind best men vary from excellent to carp so don't rely on this. Do everybody first when you do the groups abnd then whittle it down to the smaller groups so the ones who want to be in the bar get there quickly

Hugh

thanks for the advice - thankfully I know one of the best men, he's a copper and knows he's going to be helping. Even if he can't then the wife and I will cope...

It amazes me that a few days before the wedding you are asking for kit advice rather than advice on the types of shots you should be taking,how did we used to manage with a Bronica SQA and 2 lenses and a restriction on the number of films we could use

Last time I filled one it was around 260...

The ceilings are high but not too high so I think it will be bounce for most of the time inside.

You should have plenty of cards then

The mistake I made with the flash was to shoot in aperture priority, with high iso's and capture as much ambient light as possible. On a couple of occasions it was only after I'd taken the shot that I realised the shutter speed was worryingly low. Fortunately I got the shots but its one I'll watch in future.

It amazes me that a few days before the wedding you are asking for kit advice rather than advice on the types of shots you should be taking,how did we used to manage with a Bronica SQA and 2 lenses and a restriction on the number of films we could use

if you've got nothing contructive to say then please don't bother - its comments like this that made me think twice about even posting in this forum.

If you read my original post you'll see that I said that I'm there with the gear and was there anything else I could practice and prepare for the day/or had forgotten.

As I said I have a shots list, which I've built up over the last couple of months through reading and looking at other respected wedding togs work.

Just thought I'd thank you for that :thinking: constructive :thinking: addition to the thread. If you read the OP you would see that the poster was asking for anything he's missed -rather than specific kit advice.

It amazes me that we're unable to have a sensible conversation around here without this sort of comment. No wonder wedding threads have such a poor reputation.

Thanks again :bang:

The mistake I made with the flash was to shoot in aperture priority, with high iso's and capture as much ambient light as possible. On a couple of occasions it was only after I'd taken the shot that I realised the shutter speed was worryingly low. Fortunately I got the shots but its one I'll watch in future.

thanks for the advice. I've experienced similar with AP - you still have to keep a close eye of shutter speed but its very easy to forget and become complacent.

nope the number of cards is fine - i missed the deytail first time round as I focussed on your comment about clearing them down.

good luck and don't panic and you'll be fine

regarding the comment about shutter speed - listen to your camera - that's usually your best indicator if you aren't watching your read outs.

Hugh

Thanks for the advice re the 70-200 Hugh, I'll bear that in mind. Any example shots of the 85mm would be great, I've hired it for a week, mostly because of lens lust rather than necessity :)

cheers

Just thought I'd thank you for that :thinking: constructive :thinking: addition to the thread. If you read the OP you would see that the poster was asking for anything he's missed -rather than specific kit advice.

It amazes me that we're unable to have a sensible conversation around here without this sort of comment. No wonder wedding threads have such a poor reputation.

Thanks again :bang:

Ok so probably worded improperly but the point I was trying to make was that its not the kit that makes the photographer and there does seem to be an obsession with wedding photographers in particular about carrying enough kit to sink the Titantic when actually you can do the job with a standard zoom and a good flashgun

Whilst I agree that you should never clear the memory cards on the day I personally find merit in backing up the cards to the laptop (and an external HDD) at the venue. I usually find the lull in the proceeding whilst the guests sit down and eat a perfect time to get the laptop out and back up the cards.

This then means that I know that I have 3 copies of the majority of the photos (card, laptop and backup drive) before I get home and I have an idea of what the photos look like, and there is nothing quite so reassuring in knowing that I have my photos safe.

I would suggest that before you start each section of the wedding (preparation, arrival at church, ceremony, formals, reception. first dance etc) you
a) change the memory card for a fresh one and/or
b) check that there is plenty of space on the card for the next section.

I nearly missed the bride's entrance at my first wedding when the card ran out at the wrong moment. I now swap cards whenever I get the chance even if I've only shot a few photos.

Ok so probably worded improperly but the point I was trying to make was that its not the kit that makes the photographer and there does seem to be an obsession with wedding photographers in particular about carrying enough kit to sink the Titantic when actually you can do the job with a standard zoom and a good flashgun

OK apology accepted ;)

I have put a huge amount of effort in preparing (obsessing over) all areas of this wedding over the last couple of months, so flippant remarks and assumptions don't go down too well.

Same here! As lready mentioned too - I wouldn't dream of clearing any of the cards. You have plenty enough cards.

Good luck!

Whilst I agree that you should never clear the memory cards on the day I personally find merit in backing up the cards to the laptop (and an external HDD) at the venue. I usually find the lull in the proceeding whilst the guests sit down and eat a perfect time to get the laptop out and back up the cards.

This then means that I know that I have 3 copies of the majority of the photos (card, laptop and backup drive) before I get home and I have an idea of what the photos look like, and there is nothing quite so reassuring in knowing that I have my photos safe.

I would suggest that before you start each section of the wedding (preparation, arrival at church, ceremony, formals, reception. first dance etc) you
a) change the memory card for a fresh one and/or
b) check that there is plenty of space on the card for the next section.

I nearly missed the bride's entrance at my first wedding when the card ran out at the wrong moment. I now swap cards whenever I get the chance even if I've only shot a few photos.

Good point, thanks for the tips. Using the laptop to back the cards up to makes sense...

Thanks for the advice re the 70-200 Hugh, I'll bear that in mind. Any example shots of the 85mm would be great, I've hired it for a week, mostly because of lens lust rather than necessity :)

cheers

the 85 is great to use - but I think it cold nowdays

24-70 mm

HFM_2186-28.jpg

DSC_2196-27.jpg

Hugh

thanks for posting those Hugh, I see what you mean. The 24-70 was the best investment I have ever made, it rarely leaves my camera. Friday is not going to be the time for trying new things (lenses included I guess) but if I do get the chance to take some candids later on in the day with the 85mm then I will. TBH I've lost faith in the 70-200 a little recently, not sure exactly why, probably because the AF on the 24-70 is so damn good.

thanks for posting those Hugh, I see what you mean. The 24-70 was the best investment I have ever made, it rarely leaves my camera. Friday is not going to be the time for trying new things (lenses included I guess) but if I do get the chance to take some candids later on in the day with the 85mm then I will. TBH I've lost faith in the 70-200 a little recently, not sure exactly why, probably because the AF on the 24-70 is so damn good.
:eek: and I've just bought a 70-200 for my first (serious) wedding shoot.

But back on topic :) Not so much a gear comment - I think you're more than fine on it :) - if you end up shooting wide open aperture in bright daylight with flash as a fill for those shadows under the hats, etc, do remember to stick the camera to FP sync speed. I'm sure you know already, but the first (non serious ;)) wedding I shot, I didn't know about this and was frustrated when the photos were pretty blown out because the shutter had slowed to 1/250 ;) So since then, I've stuck to 14bit RAW as it helps just a teeny bit more :p

There are quite a few threads on this, edinburgh gary had a good one a while ago before he did his (but fancy searching back through his posts, no thanks !!)

Take drink and snacks

I can refer you to a thread I started a little while ago.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=150417

You seem to have all the angles covered and I wish you luck and good weather. Preparation is key in wedding photography but you also have to be able to react to the sudden changes in plan (they will happen). The carefully planned group shot is suddenly abandoned and a series of family shots substituted, the bridal car fails to stop at the door you have been assured was her entrance point (happened to me on Saturday), the wedding organiser has arranged a themed set of outdoor games so there are now 3 different areas all with something happening at the same time which was never mentioned (last Saturday again), the carefully planned ring shot cannot be done because the best man cannot be found. The flash fails just at the first kiss. These are just some recent examples. The trick is to stay calm and always have in the back of your mind an alternate shot or setting which will get you something.

Don't be afraid to recreate a shot if you have to. The bride and groom will usually accommodate you if you are honest and say 'I don't think I got a good shot of 'x' can we try that again. After the ceremony not during :)

Take a few bottles of water and a small towel. You will need them. The towel is especially useful when you have 120 people crammed into a room designed for 60 and for quickly wiping the camera off when someone decides to spray everyone with champagne or a little rain catches you out.

Hope this helps.

John

i cant give you any advice as i have no experience but just want to wish you the best of luck mate. looks like you have it all covered anyway so should be fine.

Best of luck Phil, I'm sure it will be a memorable experience. :)

With regards to shots, have the B&G expressed an interest in the kind of shots they want (i.e. colour/B&W)?

With regards to lenses, the 85mm will give you fabulous portrait opportunities; regardless of any supposed colour cast, the detail captured along with the creamy out of focus parts make for a lovely image. The 70-200mm would be my choice to get the candid shots that have been asked for.

no colour cast, but it is colder (although not everyone agrees) then my more modern Nikkors

Good luck for Friday - let us know how it goes and post pics

Hugh

i cant give you any advice as i have no experience but just want to wish you the best of luck mate. looks like you have it all covered anyway so should be fine.

Best of luck Phil, I'm sure it will be a memorable experience. :)

With regards to shots, have the B&G expressed an interest in the kind of shots they want (i.e. colour/B&W)?

With regards to lenses, the 85mm will give you fabulous portrait opportunities; regardless of any supposed colour cast, the detail captured along with the creamy out of focus parts make for a lovely image. The 70-200mm would be my choice to get the candid shots that have been asked for.

Thanks Steve, I'm very nervous but really looking forward to it.

They do like B&W, but will be providing a mixture - they have been very precise in the style they are looking for too.

I think I'll probably end up using the 70-200 for candids, but I will give the 85mm a go too (especially for any shots inside) if I get the chance.

no colour cast, but it is colder (although not everyone agrees) then my more modern Nikkors

Good luck for Friday - let us know how it goes and post pics

Hugh

thanks Hugh, I will post some pics over the weekend - good or bad :)

Looking forward to seeing the results - good luck tomorrow!

if it hasnt already been said, make sure you relax and think about what your trying to do. I've done 3 weddings now, and during my first 2 i was so panicked that my understanding of photography and common sense went out of the window. made stupid mistakes like shooting outdoors with the iso still high. also make sure you have fun doing it, and interact with the people. it will show up in your images :)

Well its now almost 10pm so your probably just slinging your gear in the back of your car and achingly sitting in the seat preparing to drive home after what seems like the hardest days work of your life. 1800 shots later your probably still thinking i wish id done this better or dam i wish id thought of that, and ohhhhh f??? how did i forget about that shot.

You probably wish you were fitter by this time because boy your aching now (and wait until tomorrow) still its done now and i bet you loved it LOVED IT.

Hope it all went well and no doubt youll be far to knackered to even turn on the pc tomorrow so let us know how it went asap

Dave (y)

The only bit of advice I can give is watch the time line that you have already considered, it is easy to follow in the comfort of your home when planning but come the day that time will go so fast so keep a close eye on timings.
Also with regard to time lines, factor in sods law like parking problems, everyone and anyone getting in your way etc etc
Above all, enjoy yourself
Best of luck

thanks for all the support, it was a tough and long day, but one that I enjoyed every minute of.

I'm hoping that this was a baptism of fire and some (most!) weddings will be more straightforward. There was lots of rain and not a lot of room inside the hotel (where the light certainly was challenging). Between the ceremony ending and seats being taken for the meal we had one 15 minute and one ten minute spell of dry weather, managed to cram in the essential group shots and a few of the B+G. Then the meal started, followed by the speeches which didn't finish until 20.45! By which time it was nearly dark outside, it took the band then an hour to set-up, first dance took place at nearly 10pm. To add to that the Bride decided at 21.45 she did want to throw her flowers after all and do a confetti shot (despite our best efforts to get them to do it earlier) in the pitch black darkness on the hotel lawn!

Thankfully the tog who's wedding it was had made it clear beforehand that they weren't worried about posed shots, really just wanted us to capture the mood and emotion of the wedding with candids of them and the guests. It did feel odd not having had hardly any time with just the B+G for some nice portraits, they were adament they didn't want shots taken of them inside the hotel when we had the chance.

I'm still wading through the pics, I took 1002, SWMBO a few hundred. I'll post some up at somepoint in the next couple of days.

All I would say is to have a scout round the venue a few times beforehand (i.e. in different weather conditions) just so you can spy out the most interesting spots to take photos, and make the most of any unusual or interesting views. (y)

Oh blimey! I'm a bit late!!! :LOL:

Back