Flash Photography Books

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone got any good book recommendations for general basic flash photography?

I'm completely new to flash and want to get some general basics. I know there is a wealth of knowledge out there on tinternet, but I find it much better/easier for me to have a book to look at.

Thanks (y)

Edit: I think it could be all lighting in general if possible :)

Last edited:
Have a look at 'Speedlights & Speedlites', as the title suggests it is about flash photography rather than general lighting.

Take a look at 'Understanding Flash Photography' by Bryan Peterson. I was completely new to flash photography and after reading his 'Understanding Exposure' book and finding it excellent, I was keen to get stuck into this one. I found it very easy to understand and follow.

+1 for understading flash photography...have just completed reading it...love it.

Hi,
I also have these two books,
As a beginner I can recommend the On Camera Flash Techniques book. It is easy to understand, lots of diagrams and the settings used are explained. I was able to replicate most of the examples in the book.

The Light Science and Magic book was too heavy going for me.

I think you should consider signing up for the Lynda.com courses. There are such a wide variety of photography courses on there.

I've just done the Exposure, Composition and Black & White courese (3 seperate ones). Really good, I've learnt some great things in a very short space of time.

Joe McNally's book is a Nikon-centric book about speedlite photography, but I'm a Canon user and still found this a good read, simply by ignoring the Nikon jargon and translating it to Canon jargon :)

Sketching Light: An Illustrated Tour of the Possibilities of Flash

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sketching-L...ties-Voices/dp/0321700902/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2

Syl Arena is a Canon user and has a really good book about flash techniques - the technique is universal, no matter which Speedlite you use - the same can be said about most books on flash photography:

Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedliters-Handbook-Learning-Craft-Speedlites/dp/032171105X/ref=pd_sim_b_22

Hope these help :)

Back