Fleebay opinions wanted

I've got stung on ebay before and would only buy from 'normal' sources.
He may be OK but I wouldn't take the risk myself.
If they are fakes you could probably get your money back from paypal, but can you spot a fake?

I'd go with the old addage that if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. That said, you'll probably get a memory card for your money, whether it is what it is advertised as is another matter, ask yourself, would you pay that for unbranded?

I'd go with the old addage that if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. That said, you'll probably get a memory card for your money, whether it is what it is advertised as is another matter, ask yourself, would you pay that for unbranded?

I don't think this is necessarily too good to be true. The ad says they are without retail packaging and with retail packaging from mymemory they are £3.99 incl postage. http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SD-Cards/SanDisk/SanDisk-ULTRA-II-SD-Cards

That doesn't come with the free card reader but it does come with packaging (which you immediately throw away)

There must be legitimate reasons why these get separated from packaging, and they only have a few which supports that.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your responses!(y)(y)

I would like to get a whole lot more 1 Gb extreme III SD and CF cards but these are no longer easy to get hold of.

Looks like I will have to buy larger capacity cards...

Thanks everyone for your responses!(y)(y)

I would like to get a whole lot more 1 Gb extreme III SD and CF cards but these are no longer easy to get hold of.

Looks like I will have to buy larger capacity cards...

I think 2Gb extreme III is the smallest, the 1Gb seems limited to the Ultra II now in SD.

In CF the smallest I found was 2Gb.

I know everyone's needs are different, but FWIW I now use 32GB CF cards. With raw files from my 50D coming in at 20MB - 25MB each that really isn't so much. When I go full frame and end up with a 21MP camera (or more?) the files from that will be well over 30MB each. So that's about 1,000 raw files per card. I really can't be bothered faffing about with titchy cards any more. The smallest card I use on a regular basis is now 8GB, but I have 2x32GB for my main two cameras and 2x8GB for my backup bodies.

I have bought an 8GB "Sandisk Extreme III" from eBay and it did turn out to be fake. It was 8GB but not as fast a the real thing. I saved about £9 on the price from Play (£63 vs £72 at the time) - not worth it. Nowadays I won't touch eBay for memory cards. My last several cards, both CF and SDHC have come from 7dayshop.

Last edited:
I buy 4gb SDHC Transcend Class 6 cards through Amazon marketplace for £5.05 posted each, which when used with my cheap ebay (£1.98 posted) card read gives me transfer speeds of 12mb/s. Can't complain for that price!

Buying memory from an Ebay seller just isn't worth the gamble, memory cards are a popular choice for counterfeits as they are small, expensive and easy to manufacture. There are plenty of reputable retailers to buy from and if you keep your eye out, and buy when it suits, you can get some really good bargains. I always keep an eye on the "Shopping, Suppliers and Bargains" section of the forum as good deals on memory often crop up (y)

Any reason you use 1GB?

I prefer to use many smaller capacity cards but I find that 5 x 2gb is fine

I do some school sport from time to time and I need a huge lot of cards. I suppose I could buy 2Gb cards but TBH, I am hugely superstitious as I have lost 2 cards in the past.

In a perfect world I would need about 40-50 1Gb cards...

Cheers

No wonder you might loose the odd cad if you carry round 40-50!

No,:nono::LOL:

Lost as in, dead, over and out, closed until further notice...

Would hate to lose 16 Gb of wedding shoot...difficult to explain that to the bride:naughty:

Remember hearing these same old comments when they brought out the first 1GB cards... look where we are now :bonk:
That's my exact rationale for using 32GB cards now. Sooner or later they will be the norm. First 2GB was too many eggs in one basket, then 4GB, then 8GB etc. etc.. I just thought I'd cut out the intermediate stages of fear and paranoia get on with using decent sized cards that will last me a good while to come. CF card technology is pretty well established, as are the recovery tools in the rare event of a card corruption. Since my 1D3 can write to two cards at once I am well covered in the event of card failure if the worst happens, which it probably won't.

Last edited:
Remember hearing these same old comments when they brought out the first 1GB cards... look where we are now :bonk:

Very true, except that 128Mb cards in a 1D will not be that practical...;)besides which I will then need about 200 cards :bonk::bonk:

I thought I would take my chances as the seller (different seller) has a good rep score ...99.7% on 600 deals...

If it doesn't pan out it is only about 100 quid...

Will keep you all posted.(y)

Anybody else with unwanted / obsolete Sandisk cards??

MUST be 1Gb Extreme III, SD or CF:D

Got my cards today...:clap:(y):woot::woot:

9 x 1Gb Extreme III SD's

Seller on Ebay is Funai87. What a pleasure to do business with. Highly recommended.

Back