flickr renewal

I took just over a month after I let it lapse for the offer to arrive, just done mine this week and it had expired end of sept

Drat!

I saw this thread and recalled seeing email header re: invoice Flickr I though I had cancelled it after they billed in 2020..................but apparently not :thinking:

C'est la vie, I will cancel it now and see whether they offer me a discount when I ignore their renewal invitation in 2022 :banghead:

PS forgetting this year...............maybe about time I used my a/c more than I have been doing???

Last edited:
Don't forget that with your Flickr pro membership you get 2 months free of Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan, so that saves you £20. Even if you are already subscribed to it Adobe will defer taking payment for 2 months when you register it.
Nothing there is of any interest to me though.

I took just over a month after I let it lapse for the offer to arrive, just done mine this week and it had expired end of sept
What was the offer price ? My pro ran out today

Cheers worth holding on for then

I've been waiting for months and still had no offer. :(

Not that I've more than a handful of pics on there anyway, so I'm not bothered one way or the other TBH. I only put them on in a moment of weakness because people at a club kept asking me to. I'm not a member of the club any more either so it doesn't matter at all.

I had to do something as I could no longer upload anything ,so took out a 3 month sub ,that gets me over xmas,then I can think clearer

I wonder if Flickr would be better off doing a 3 tier system such as free, something around £20 and the pro. If the £20 did unlimited hosting along with the ability to post and not much else I would certainly pay rather than take out multiple free accounts.

I'm sure the people needing their "popularity fix" would still be happy to pay for the pro version.

If the £20 did unlimited hosting along with the ability to post and not much else
I'd go for that (y)
That's all I use it for.

I'm sure the people needing their "popularity fix" would still be happy to pay for the pro version.
I was amazed ( and I'm sure there are higher numbers)
But I was looking at something the other day, and it seems that, that person was posting images in around 150 groups.

I'd go for that (y)
That's all I use it for.

But I was looking at something the other day, and it seems that, that person was posting images in around 150 groups.
There are a lot of Flickr Groups now that stop you posting to their group if you go over their limit, some as low as 10 groups I think but it does vary from group to group.

There are a lot of Flickr Groups now that stop you posting to their group if you go over their limit, some as low as 10 groups I think but it does vary from group to group.
I've never understood the mentality of collecting "groups"
There is a TP face book group, its mostly used for information, ie should the site go down updates are posted there.
People have joined that have no interest in photography, have notifications turned off, and belong to 100's of other groups.
I just thin them out from time to time...

I'm pretty sure it's to get the likes and comments.
I'm sure you are right, but I still don't understand the mentality of that.
I guess some people are so insecure they have to be "liked"

Reactions: Sky
I guess some people are so insecure they have to be "liked"

Exactly that:

'Past research has shown that generally, people with low self-esteem are especially likely to take others’ negative comments to heart.5 Recently, researchers at Facebook found that this carries over to reactions to online feedback. Those with low self-esteem tend to feel bad if they perceive that a Facebook post of theirs has received an insufficient number of likes.6 This is unfortunate because while those with low self-esteem are especially likely to see Facebook as a place they can seek support, they actually get less positive feedback on their posts than their more confident counterparts.7 This research suggests that those with low self-esteem are more susceptible to the effects of this social media feedback — If they get positive feedback they feel especially good, and if they don’t get it, they feel especially bad.'

Source

Here's another data point for the discussion.

I've started paying for a flickr pro account 2 years ago. I pay full price for it, and I'm happy about the price I pay for what I get. I only have ~600 photos in total and have had my free account since 2007. I just like to upload little and only what I personally really like. In theory, I could downgrade back to my old free account but I simply do not want to.

The thing is I have gone for the flickr pro account not for a 'popularity fix' but to support a platform that simply has no equal. To me, flickr is still the place to go to enjoy the work of several really talented photographers. It's profoundly different from Instagram and other similar cr*p because on flickr I do not feel like I'm being fed content reordered and reshuffled to maximise my consumption of advertisement. I pay, I can tag and order my photos in many ways, I can keep a historical record on the evolution of my photography over the years, and importantly I see things the way people post them according to their artistic vision, ordered in a temporal fashion. I do no see, nor want to see, any ads sprinkled in, or content re-prioritised based on an algorithm.

As for the 'they want to pay for pro to get their popularity fix/they're insecure", Personally, I only post film photography content and the film photography groups I follow are extremely active and increasingly filled with amazing content, as people in my age group start to leave instagram and facebook and join flickr, while the old scroungers with 12k photos on a free account are gone and their mass group posting habit is vastly reduced. As for myself and groups, I do post to groups, but although I could post to 150 groups etc for my 'popularity fix' I only ever post to at most 20ish groups, which I know are extremely active and thematically coherent. Some of these groups are so well moderated, and filled with such great content (despite my mediocre contributions) that it feels like being at an exhibition. No fighting, no inane comments by gearheads, no ads, just silent enjoyment of photography.

What's also interesting is that with other people I am busy taking over old abandoned groups filled with great content that dates back years. It's a pleasure to clean up these groups and bring them back to their former glory, at the same time getting new blood in. Moderating also means taking some difficult decisions of course. The first ones to go are of course the scroungers who, on groups limited to 1 post per day/week, try to post more than one item from each of the several free accounts they have. Easy to identify, easy to ban.

I did the thing of posting to lots of groups for a while to see if I could generate more substantial interest and possibly sales, but it didn't lead anywhere.

Getting a 'Cyber Week 30% off' popup now - £39 instead of £55.

Me too, I have had a year off so maybe I will subscribe again now.

TBH it wasn't even the cost, I was just annoyed they were offering it cheaper to people that had been there less time than me :LOL:
If I do, do I renew my original or my new one! :thinking:

Pity you cant amalgamate 2 accounts like you can on Ebay.
I guess I can just flip them across and keep the new one open ready for bailing out again next year. :)

Mine expires at the end of the month. Not had anything through yet aside from the original renewal.

I have another (non Pro) account for other things & that has just had a Black Friday 30% offer come through direct from Flickr.

I'd go for that (y)
That's all I use it for.

The limit is 60 groups Chris

I use the free one- I mean who, looks through 1,000 images? :( More than enough for my needs

Reactions: 4wd
Ho are people waiting for offers from Flickr. My accounts says it will renew automatically on x date and they have my card details stored with no way to remove them,

Do you just cancel your subscription before the expiry date?

Do you just cancel your subscription before the expiry date?
Yes cancel anytime and it'll still stay current until the next renewal date

So my subscription expires in February and on the advise of above I went in and cancelled my subscription to avoid an auto renewal. In the options of why are you cancelling I chose "It's too expensive" and was immediately offered a 25% discount on my next renewal which I accepted.

£41 for the year (79p/week) and two free months of Adobe. You can't really complain about that.

It seems there is a "last chance" today for the discount cyber Monday and all that ...
30% off, £39 and a few pennies.
I was going to renew at some point, but I doubt it'll get any cheaper, so I went for it.

I've just cancelled my Pro account which runs until August 2022. I ticked 'too expensive' as the reason for cancelling and was immediately offered a reduction to £42 to automatically renew at that price in August. I paid £32 after cancelling this year so I'll wait and see if they make me a better deal than £42 when it runs out in 2022!

If you have the "Adobe Creative Cloud" subscription and a Pro account on Flickr, you can redeem a trial subscription for two months under user settings.
With an existing Adobe subscription, payment is then suspended for two months. I did this yesterday and it worked. I now pay nothing for December and January.
This indirectly makes the Flickr subscription £20 cheaper.

I believe this is something you can do once a year. It's the third year I've done this.

I'm still reasonably convinced that if I do nothing they will move me onto a paid monthly plan and then come looking for their money.
I might be wrong, who knows?

Yes. Just happened to me. I (though I) cancelled a membership over a year ago while retaining 'pro' for the remainder of the paid term. My membership ran out and they started renewing at a monthly basis. Have thus cancelled it altogether now.

Back