Flower Power Thread

Another orchid :)

I like the way #3 seems to have the blooms cradled in the stems.

Your garden seems to be a week or 2 ahead of ours!

A different perspective

Mandy - I like daisies - can't get enough of them - nice shot & I will have to take a look at the Raynox 150 as well as the 250 which is on my Amazon wish list.

I went out today with my 400d and my raynox 150 and got a nice image of a daisy.

You're doing good things with the 150 Mandy. I very much liked the snowdrop too.

As you are into flowers you might want to think about a less powerful achromat like the Canon 500D rather than/as well as the more powerful Raynox 250. With my FZ200 I used the 500D most of the time for flowers. Mind you, with the 250 you can tackle tiny flowers etc, and it's good for water droplets too, although I don't know if you'd get enough magnification for that with the 18-55. Have you got a long zoom?

Vince some beautiful shots there(y)

Shame my garden is only about 10 feet square & little of colour in it. Also on the front & if I was setup to take shots I'd have a steady stream of folks asking what I was doing. Fine if I was in a chatty mood but I may be in a bad one :D

Vince some beautiful shots there(y)

Shame my garden is only about 10 feet square & little of colour in it. Also on the front & if I was setup to take shots I'd have a steady stream of folks asking what I was doing. Fine if I was in a chatty mood but I may be in a bad one :D
Many thanks indeed , I have 2 passions in my short photography hobby ..... Flowers and my dogs

Many thanks indeed , I have 2 passions in my short photography hobby ..... Flowers and my dogs

just been looking at your Flickr & see what you mean (Rufus :) a fine dog).

Keep posting & I need to nick some colourful flowers from somewhere - any graveyards near me :whistle:

just been looking at your Flickr & see what you mean (Rufus :) a fine dog).

Keep posting & I need to nick some colourful flowers from somewhere - any graveyards near me :whistle:
Lol I have 6 dogs , 3 allotments 25 hens , loads of flowers and the cemetery is over the fence from my it's

You're doing good things with the 150 Mandy. I very much liked the snowdrop too.

As you are into flowers you might want to think about a less powerful achromat like the Canon 500D rather than/as well as the more powerful Raynox 250. With my FZ200 I used the 500D most of the time for flowers. Mind you, with the 250 you can tackle tiny flowers etc, and it's good for water droplets too, although I don't know if you'd get enough magnification for that with the 18-55. Have you got a long zoom?

I have no plans to change my cameras other than upgrading the 400D to a full frame camera, I will be keeping my 600D when I get my 6D and I have a tamron 70-300 mm tele macro lens that I can use with x2 teleconverter now. Will also be getting the raynox 250 when time and funds allow.

Mandy - I like daisies - can't get enough of them - nice shot & I will have to take a look at the Raynox 150 as well as the 250 which is on my Amazon wish list.

It might or might not matter to you, but you might or might not get autofocusing with the Raynox 150 and 250. It works fine on my bridge cameras (Canon SX10 and Panasonic FZ200) and with the 45-175 and 45-200 on my Panasonic G3. On the 70D autofocus works with the 18-55 EFS STM (although only 35-55 is useful as you get vignetting that rapidly gets serious below 35) and the 100L, but with the 55-250 EFS STM the 500D autofocuses ok, the 150 is iffy and the 250 won't autofocus.

I always manual focus for my macro stuff, as I find I get better results than when I use autofocus. I could of got closer to the daisy yesterday but I had my 600D attached on my utility strap along with the 400D and I didn't fancy smacking my other camera on the ground trying to get closer.

nice to see some more cracking images in here. I went out to get my topbox fitted on my bike earlier on, and i called into to see my friend Paul on the way back. As i didn't have any of my cameras with me i did happen to have my sd card on me so i borrowed my friends sony A77 to take this shot of an orchid. I don't know what the orchid is called but if anyone could id it for me that would be great, i hope you like.

Orchid

Orchid
by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Hi Mandy - Cheerful start to the day - thank you - & with lovely colour
animated-smileys-nature-008.gif

PS What's a Sony A77 - a mobile phone :p

Out on a walk today as its a really nice sunny day here in the S.O.F.
This 1st pic always looks so nice facing the sun i couldnt resist. sorry i dont know the name.

View attachment 6376

As always at this time of year we have these trees busting with this awesome yellow blossom, this is Mimosa.
In the town of Grass they take this blossom and make a perfume from it and other products. If you could smell it, mmmm its very nice.
View attachment 6378

Thought I should add my 10p's worth- I ALWAYS shoot in Manual focus, guess I'm a control freak :banana:

here are a couple of mine

Nice. I find the soft colours/tones in the third one particularly appealing.

I seek to place the centre of focus/plane of best focus exactly where I want it, but with the cameras I've been using for some years I have not found manual focus a useful way of achieving it. Having several days ago used a dSLR for the first time I am astonished at the control manual focus gives me in placing the centre of focus. This is with flowers. When some subjects put in an appearance I shall be interested to find out what it is like using manual focus for invertebrates.

Here are a few of mine

I like the light and colours in the first one, although it is a bit soft for my taste.

Super clarity in the second one, showing off the structures of the stamens so very well, with them looking so good against the delicate colours and textures of the petals. Nice handling of the shadow areas on the petals too, with the petal textures still nicely visible in the shadows.

More nice stamen structure, petal texture and colours in the third one. I find composition is generally quite difficult with bunches/bundles/groups of flowers like this, with it often being difficult to avoid eye-catching cutoffs/truncations, like (to my eye) in the top left in this case.

Back