Flower Power Thread

Hi Bryn. Nothing special really. Depends on what you're wanting. I have been learning the benefits of pumping in extra 'white' in Lr5 (or fill flash for older versions) and raising the exposure too. I have found that my Tamron 70-300 vc tends to over expose with my D7000 so dialing in about a stop of under exposure (sometimes 1.3 stops) it helps to keep hold of enough detail in the highlights without killing the shadows that i can pretty much do what i want with them. Of course, it helps to have an extremely sunny day and i always try and backlight flowers which have thin petals such as the yellow Poppy above which gives them that lovely glow. If you look at my photostream you will notice that i like using the backlight effect quite a bit if i can, especially for leaves.

I too would like to learn T's processing skills, especially for the pastel shots she has posted lately, it's a great effect!

Thank you @Tintin124 and @minnnt you stream on flickr is impressive full stop David,

As for mine well, it really is fiddling around, my knowledge on LR is almost as non existent as my technicals with shooting, it's all about playing until i am happy. i tend to use the black and white sliders alot.. pushing them, especially the blacks to the limit, decreasing the clarity a touch too, depending on the image and how decent it was to start with :LOL:.. i also like to play with the cross processing sliders, then desaturate right back to black and white and slow increase until there is just a hint of colour.... then sometimes i take it over to elements to sharpen a bit and play with the colour varions and saturation sliders a bit more:D

Super shot indeed Beth! :)

Thanks for the info @Cg_Girl any reason you choose to sharpen away from Lr?

No not really and i don't always, sometimes it seems that elements sharpens better or i can see more closely if i am doing too much to it by being able to enlarge better.. i also use the despeckle and noise tool, again it might just be in my head as to why i like them a bit more:D

lol, I was just about to ask David what it was but I see it's an Osteospernum.
And I'd choose wallflower i. ;)

Mark I prefer the first as the colours are so much more sexy but I guess the second is nearer what you saw :)

Bryn I like the buttercup but in colour - a great shame to throw away the colours that nature gives us :)

Bryn you do like getting in close there & if you're not going to experiment with another set of tubes how about a microscopic fitment for DSLR's. You wait until my mobile macro kit arrives :)

Mark I bet QPR would be proud of you - they are a great set, close, sharp & well captured (y)

David a good set with a very dreamy quality (dreamy is good) & I am very partial to the last one (y)

My 2nd dad thinks he's a dainty flower? awwwwww:D

Where's your number 2 Dad - oh yes I remember he's on holly wollys in Scotland :)

Back