Flower Power Thread

As a newbie I thought I'd post a couple of my first flower pics... Can't seem to work out the link to my Flickr photos...

View attachment 8877 View attachment 8878

Flower Macro
by andrewrowell3, on Flickr

Sunflower
by andrewrowell3, on Flickr

iframe>

iframe>

Last edited:
As a newbie I thought I'd post a couple of my first flower pics... Can't seem to work out the link to my Flickr photos...

View attachment 8877 View attachment 8878
iframe>

iframe>

On flickr select image;
On right hand side select square with arrow
Pop up box select pin/tac
Select size
copy link
Then just paste straight into thread dont use picture button (mountain scene)
Hope that helps.

Thank you Bryn, It's grey morning down here now, in Taunton, Sun's gone home I guess

Les

Hi everyone, nice thread, Here is one I did 2 summers back..... this was taken outside with black velvet draped behind...... I clamped one full flower and then blew the 2nd to get the seeds to float past..... Took a lot to get this one image.....
dandi_by_dazwpw-d3e40z5.jpg
Now that is something I would like to try-I'm guessing patience is the key Daryl?

awesome shot, did you use off camera flash?

Les ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not that patient. About 10 mins. All natural light. Had to copy a few seeds as out 30 only 4 or 5 if that go where you want them to. They do move and change direct on the slight of breeze.

Worth it in the end... need to do much more But so busy shooting all over the Country just makes me want to put camera down and feet upLOL!

Thank you for the reply Daryl,I'm going tog give that a go-later Summer of course as the seed heads are not around yet

Les ;)

Thought I would add my first few attempts, comments welcome...

That's a good start. Well done.

I like the last one best - the composition and soft colours, and in this case the selective focus works well for me. In contrast, the narrow depth of field doesn't work well for me in the first and third. In the first one I would rather see more of the flower in focus, especially the petals nearer the camera. In the third one I find the OOF leaves in the middle of the in focus leaves beneath them rather distracting.

The selective focus works ok for me in the second one (although my taste would be for more of the frond to be in focus). In terms of composition my preference would be either to have the subject central, or if one side, then to the right rather than the left of centre. That is because the frond appears to my eye to be "pointing" down and to the left, so as it is, to the left of centre, it appears to be "going out of the picture" rather than "coming into it"; my eye rests more easily on images where the subject is "coming in" rather than (except in special circumstances) "going out" of the picture.

Lots of personal taste in all that, so your mileage may vary. :)

@Lez325

What a cracker... better viewed on flickr seems to have a halo here, well on my screen anyhow.

With a Fuji xf1 very little pp

Back