Free upgrade to Windows 10?

The "desktop" tile seems to be absent now.....is there a one click way to get back to the desktop without having to minimise all the open applications?

Bob
Have you tried "Windows-D" keyboard combination?

I upgraded last night, just clicked in the windows box at the bottom right hand corner after prevesioly re-registering an interest. Farley straightforward and reasonably quick. Much smarter interface, and at last RIP MS Explorer. Early days with Microsoft Edge but it seamd to be quicker and smarter than Explorer.

I don't want to have to login though, i when i switch my pc on i want it to go straight to the desktop.
Does the "control userpasswords2" method not work as in previous Windows releases?

There seems to be something funny going on with product keys. I have an identical product key on two machines (haven't checked the other two) following the upgrade. One was an upgrade from 8.1 without media centre to 10. The other was from an upgrade from 8 with media centre to 8.1 with media centre to 10. I was so surprised that I used two different tools to extract the key, with the same result each time.

Have you tried "Windows-D" keyboard combination?
That works....thanks Tim

Yes that works, or right click empty space on taskbar select Properties and tick bottom box "Use Peek---" on 1st window, this will allow you to see or open Desk top with one click, see below
That would also work but there's no "show desktop" icon on the task bar to click on?

Bob

So when someone gives valid advice for people having issues downloading, or installing, your response is don't make a fuss, just hit upgrade, rather like you just hit post reply :D
I think the "fuss" is where people give very complex instructions (at least for a non tech person) such as deleting files from a directory, running commands etc when all you need to do is actually click "upgrade" when it asks if you want to upgrade to w10.

Unfortunately for some, like myself, it really was that easy. I got my update on release day, heck it was downloaded in the background without me even realising and I was driving in my car all day!! But unfortunately there are a few where they don't get the download and they'll have to try and do it manually. Then there are some who run into issues when applying it.

I took @stryvya comments as lighthearted and not to be taken too seriously since reading this thread you can easily see that people have many different experiences.

When it goes well it goes really well, when it doesn't it's fair enough to make some fuss.

Lighthearted, yes.

But honest thats all you have to do, download and install.

Don`t over think any maybe problem just go for it.

OH and don`t buy that new Car the Radio Controls might be in a different place (Joke)

Lighthearted, yes.

But honest thats all you have to do, download and install.

Don`t over think any maybe problem just go for it.

OH and don`t buy that new Car the Radio Controls might be in a different place (Joke)

that may be the case for some . but with 7 yearrs in IT tech support my install was far from straight forward with none of the network control centre working the end result after 6 hours of trying to get win 10 up and running properly resulted in a win 7 rollback. not everyone has had plain sailing and its arrogant to think its all so easy just becasue yours was.. take a look on MS forums and you will see thousands of posts with people having similar networking issues

that may be the case for some . but with 7 yearrs in IT tech support my install was far from straight forward with none of the network control centre working the end result after 6 hours of trying to get win 10 up and running properly resulted in a win 7 rollback. not everyone has had plain sailing and its arrogant to think its all so easy just becasue yours was.. take a look on MS forums and you will see thousands of posts with people having similar networking issues

I think the word to pick out from your post is "Network" maybe single Computer Upgrades work OK, but Networks are more of a Problem

Anyone else had problems with store and other apps not working?

I tried a few things to get the apps working but ended up going back to Windows 7. I might try a fresh install at some point but not till some of the bugs have been ironed out.

Well it's gone well for me so far. I was on Windows 8.1 32 bit, I've updated now to Windows 10 32 bit but for those like me who want to upgrade to 64 bit like me it looks like it is possible now by downloading a 64 bit ISO file and performing a full re install which is my plan this morning. Everything is now backed up and I've got the ISO file on disc.

Instructions here
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-to/40d90c4e-8845-4bcb-bb2f-aeab312caf74

Few things I've noticed so far.

The screen resolution took some time to sort out, especially with Chrome
The PC takes a seconds longer to boot up than Win 8.1
Chrome seems slower, Edge seems very quick but don't like the bookmarks arrangement and can't find a bookmark manager.

well the download onto a USB stick didnt work as its asked for a bloody CD key and my win 7 one it says isnt valid
AFAIK you should only be asked for a key for a clean install, but to get a valid key you need to perform an in place upgrade and then find the key you ended up with. Then you can go back and start a clean install with your new WIN 10 key. If you mean on creation of the USB itself I did not need to supply a key in order to create the upgrade files on the stick.

no its an upgrade install but off the USB stick. literally first window after its checked whether it needs any updates first i then get prompt for cd key to continue the install even though my win 7 is a preinstalled legit copy from dell . seems you cant use win 7 cd keys and that it should auto activate and add its own key in win 10 after a few days. but not much help if it wont let me proceed beyond the enter key part in first place.

OK, I've only upgraded from 8.1, using a USB stick, but I have not been asked for a key on any of four upgrades. Three were self built machines with clean installs of 8 a while back and in place upgrades to 8.1 on release and one was an original Dell OEM 8.1 install. I didn't think a key was required for the upgrades. Does your machine have a valid product key and is it Windows activated?

OK, I've only upgraded from 8.1, using a USB stick, but I have not been asked for a key on any of four upgrades. Three were self built machines with clean installs of 8 a while back and in place upgrades to 8.1 on release and one was an original Dell OEM 8.1 install. I didn't think a key was required for the upgrades. Does your machine have a valid product key and is it Windows activated?

yep fully activated and valid pre installed key with win genuine logo.
looking here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...duct-key/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7
about 1/3rd of way down it states you have to if installing from ISO/ USB have a matching version ( so win 7 home to win 10 home , pro to pro etc ). i have win 7 home premium 64bit and downloaded the win 10 Home ( though i chose the single language version ). can only guess that the single language version may not actually be compatible ( which makes no sense whatsoever ) , so one last try with the first version listed which is windows 10 Home multi .

I suspect Home Premium might equate to Pro. Obviously you also have to match bit architecture as well.

Sadly, my keyboard doesn't have a Windows key. I can forsee fun ahead when I let my w7 install upgrade itself.
Oh you will have lots of fun then ;) that key more essential than ever. I wouldn't want to be without one.

I suspect Home Premium might equate to Pro. Obviously you also have to match bit architecture as well.

nope , info here from MS

Please note: The copy of Windows 10 you download must correspond with the edition of Windows you are upgrading from:

• Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core must use a Windows 10 Home ISO
  • Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro must use a Windows 10 Pro ISO
  • Your currently installed copy of Windows must be activated. If it is not, you will be prompted to enter a product key.
  • If you are using Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8.0 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Enterprise editions, or volume license Windows 7 Professional you won't be able to use the free upgrade offer.
so downloading 10 Home ISO multilanguage version to see if that is going to work. if not i'll throw the darn thing out the window lol

What a lot of fuss you all make!!!

Just Download, Hit the Install Button and sit back and it does it all by itself, How about that!!!

Except when it doesn't, then it takes a bit of fussing about to get it done.

I'm upgrading the 8.1 laptop right now and had to do a bit of googling and a registry tweak to get it to run.

nope , info here from MS

Please note: The copy of Windows 10 you download must correspond with the edition of Windows you are upgrading from:

• Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core must use a Windows 10 Home ISO
  • Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro must use a Windows 10 Pro ISO
  • Your currently installed copy of Windows must be activated. If it is not, you will be prompted to enter a product key.
  • If you are using Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8.0 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Enterprise editions, or volume license Windows 7 Professional you won't be able to use the free upgrade offer.
so downloading 10 Home ISO multilanguage version to see if that is going to work. if not i'll throw the darn thing out the window lol

I have a Windows 7 PC in French. Will I get the opertunity to change language when upgrading to 10?
Graham

I have a Windows 7 PC in French. Will I get the opertunity to change language when upgrading to 10?
Graham
Yes, I 've done one in English and one in French and changed the French one to English whilst getting the stuff sorted out.

Bob

well I'm finally on it.. though at a slower speed. for some reason I cant get my 5ghz wireless to work so stuck on slower 2.4ghz at moment. having to set up all my email again and also though this new edge thing seems ok I cant import the bookmarks from chrome which is a real pain.

First problem, switched on this afternoon and laptop froze ... Currently on Win10 disguised chkdsk /r :thinking:

Well a total F****K UP for me!

I only have a slow connection via a dongle and a monthly data download of 15GB.

Normally no problem since I don't usually use all of it but this Win 10 download has gone through it - approx 4GB used.

Again no real worry if it had installed but it didn't even though the files were there all I kept getting in my logs were "Install failed"

Then it started to download all the files again as far as I can tell even though I had turned off Windows update.

The only solution to this was either to turn off the Internet or do a clean re-install of Win 7 on a much smaller partition.

So that's what I did - so now I can use the Internet without Microsoft using all my data.

Luckily since all my programs etc are all installed in VMs only took less than 2 hours to get back to running.

Next month when I get my next allowance I will probably try to download the Win 10 ISO and see what happens.

Can't actually see why Microsoft didn't just make a single version and let everyone have that - seems that would have made it much easier all round.

I wonder how they're going to monetise it though since the free downloads must have cost them £Billions.

finally .. up and running with 5ghz... after much faffing around ... a lot of things that are annoying though.. edge is ok but where the hell do you import your faves list ( or how ).. and trying to specifiy where my downloads go is a mystery so far ( I prefer my downloads to go direct to my backup D drive.
the Mail button wont let me add my msn email , because its already in live mail yet cant sync the two together ( stupid ).
still its better than the godawful layout of win 8 tiles where it was impossible to find anything.

some people I know have reported LR not working but have opened it and seems ok, not tried adobe CC yet
its certainly not an install for the faint hearted.

oh and I installed from the download on MS website onto a USB stick.. makes life easier as it only chews up your bandwidth once.

finally .. up and running with 5ghz... after much faffing around ... a lot of things that are annoying though.. edge is ok but where the hell do you import your faves list ( or how ).. and trying to specifiy where my downloads go is a mystery so far ( I prefer my downloads to go direct to my backup D drive.
the Mail button wont let me add my msn email , because its already in live mail yet cant sync the two together ( stupid ).
still its better than the godawful layout of win 8 tiles where it was impossible to find anything.

some people I know have reported LR not working but have opened it and seems ok, not tried adobe CC yet
its certainly not an install for the faint hearted.

oh and I installed from the download on MS website onto a USB stick.. makes life easier as it only chews up your bandwidth once.

Watch out for the 500MB patch ;)

Windows 10 installed on my laptop, everything seems to be OK.
Had a small moment after the update where there was virtually a nil response from all commands. Sorted with a restart ad now downloading the ISO file.

Happy days

Back