From Ultra slow internet to Ultra fast !

GTG

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
For as long as I can remember us poor folk in rural Wales had to suffer from some of the worst internet in the country.

For example the internet I am using right now is 0.75 MBPS and is sold to us as broadband and charged the same as customers getting considerably faster speeds in other areas.

We had to watch as Cities got superfast BT infinity, then larger towns and so on.

Then BT developed a new way to spread fiber deep into rural areas cost effectively called fiber to the remote node.

So I phoned them up when it was ready and I nearly fell off my chair when they said estimated speed possible.

It has gone from 0.75 MBPS to 300 MBPS. ( depending how deep your pockets are )

Then I worked out why when the engineer turned up.

He ripped out the copper cable from my house and put a 30 meter fiber cable straight directly into my house lol.

Thank god we are saved at last.

So you ordered fibre to the property rather than the standard fttc?

No option, FTTP only lol.

This new fiber to the remote note is different than FTTC.

There is fiber cables absolutely everywhere, every single telephone post has it so it is very close to everyones homes in the first place.

When someone orders BT infinity an engineer comes out and installing fiber from the nearest telephone post straight into your house or underground.

Got these mini cabinets everywhere and some kind of black device on the posts

upload_2017-7-2_23-48-15.jpeg

We are soon moving to the arse end of nowhere. Current bt estimates is 4mb down and 2 mb up, which is slightly slower than current 50mb down and 10mb up!
Hoping we can get fttp, although my limited investigations show it's not available. Hopefully that is wrong!

We are soon moving to the arse end of nowhere. Current bt estimates is 4mb down and 2 mb up, which is slightly slower than current 50mb down and 10mb up!
Hoping we can get fttp, although my limited investigations show it's not available. Hopefully that is wrong!

They will put it nearly everywhere in the end. The village I live in has no school, no shop, no nothing and BT put it here, everyone is stunned where they have spread it to, down little lanes and everything

It's like 4 houses and nothing else where we are going. Nearest exchange is about 5 miles away, not sure on nearest cabinet.

Glad to hear this is becoming more widespread. I am fortunate to live in a fairly new house (granted, there are disadvantages!) and I signed up for FTTP a couple of years ago. We could get 300Mbps, but I felt 200 was probably enough...

It's like 4 houses and nothing else where we are going. Nearest exchange is about 5 miles away, not sure on nearest cabinet.

That's close to the exchange lol. I'm over 10 miles away and was getting 0.75 mbps so not even 1 mbps.

Still the 4 houses part does not sound good though

Glad to hear this is becoming more widespread. I am fortunate to live in a fairly new house (granted, there are disadvantages!) and I signed up for FTTP a couple of years ago. We could get 300Mbps, but I felt 200 was probably enough...

Does it actually run at what they say ?

Contention is possibly still an issue occasionally, but only in the sense it might dip to 150 on Speedtest. I've just run it and got these results:

Off-peak might see it exceed 200.

Last edited:
Reactions: GTG
No option, FTTP only lol.

This new fiber to the remote note is different than FTTC.

There is fiber cables absolutely everywhere, every single telephone post has it so it is very close to everyones homes in the first place.

When someone orders BT infinity an engineer comes out and installing fiber from the nearest telephone post straight into your house or underground.
Pricey? How are they getting it to the property any ground works?

Pricey? How are they getting it to the property any ground works?

£26.99 a month.

From the existing poles, they have some kind of black device I pictured above.
They are also putting up new poles if necessary.
I have an underground telephone line about 30 meters from the pole and they could not get the old line out to fit the fiber.
They paid to have a team come out to excavate the ground so they could get at the old cable better lol.
I didn't pay anything, BT did it all.

Contention is possibly still an issue occasionally, but only in the sense it might dip to 150 on Speedtest. I've just run it and got these results:

Off-peak might see it exceed 200.

Christ I never seen that before lol

Sounds like Openreach getting their commitment act together.

New methods at not much greater than FTTC end user prices sounds great but though I can get FTTC I cannot justify the increased cost compared to my ADSL unlimited package! Approx double the price. :(

Mine all in (line rental, all the other stuff) is about £65 a month - still too expensive in my opinion but I don't have any other choice if I want a quick connection.

Christ I never seen that before lol

:whistle: :cool:

View attachment 76187

ATTACH]

Last edited:
Is that for real? The upload & latency are worse than my ADSL service!

Yep.
It was actually just as I'd sacked off TT & signed up with BT for their FTTC. (think they were testing/messing/changing over as I ran a speed test)

I'm actually averaging 40-44 download, 9.2 up, ping latency 21.25. But it does show what could potentially be achieved?

Back