Frustration with LCE …. Again - *RESOLVED*!!!

Edit My Images
Yes
All,

I must be unlucky with LCE as this is the second item I’ve bought from them, where I feel I’ve been shafted.

The first item was a Nikon 200mm f/2. The manager notified me that shipping would be delayed as they felt the manual focus had gone dry and they’d like to send it back to Nikon for a service. Great service, I thought. When the lens arrived, the Nikon paperwork included with the lens stated the lubrication had been carried out but ‘ignore SWM repair’ was noted on the service paperwork! I called LCE and manager essentially said, ‘Nikon suggested a replacement but we don’t think it’s necessary as our margin on this lens is small’. I was disappointed and asked whether they could send it back to Nikon and I’d pick up the bill at their trade rate - it came to £200 which I thought was excellent, but why try and hide it!?

Moving on to today, I’ve just received a Nikon D5, I was informed it didn’t have the original charger (but this was not noted on their website / sales listing). The charger that was supplied will not charge the nikon battery over 75%, great!

Argh - It can’t be a coincidence can it!? I guess it’s buyer beware with LCE.

I’ll call them tomorrow morning and report back.

I am probably one of their biggest used gear customer :ROFLMAO: (at least for Sony and previously manual lenses)
I can get "preferential rates" at most of them too for this reason. Bought a Sony 20mm f1.8 just the other day.

Since I buy some many used lenses I have also had my share of issues with them all sorted out with no hassle.
Return is always very straight forward too.

LCE have a bad habit of not listing used items with full information. So you really have to question them on the condition and what each item comes with.
Sometimes they have missed sending certain bits (eg: lens pouch, filter etc) which they have quickly rectified.

The first item was a Nikon 200mm f/2. The manager notified me that shipping would be delayed as they felt the manual focus had gone dry and they’d like to send it back to Nikon for a service. Great service, I thought. When the lens arrived, the Nikon paperwork included with the lens stated the lubrication had been carried out but ‘ignore SWM repair’ was noted on the service paperwork! I called LCE and manager essentially said, ‘Nikon suggested a replacement but we don’t think it’s necessary as our margin on this lens is small’. I was disappointed and asked whether they could send it back to Nikon and I’d pick up the bill at their trade rate - it came to £200 which I thought was excellent, but why try and hide it!?

Moving on to today, I’ve just received a Nikon D5, I was informed it didn’t have the original charger (but this was not noted on their website / sales listing). The charger that was supplied will not charge the nikon battery over 75%, great!

Argh - It can’t be a coincidence can it!? I guess it’s buyer beware with LCE.

I’ll call them tomorrow morning and report back.
in the first case they only fixed what needed fixing and they were honest about not fixing the recommendations. You were well within your rights to return the lens too if you didn't like that.
So I don't see a problem there.

second case as I understand has not been fully sorted with them... so lets see how they handle it. I'd be surprised they do not provide good customer support.

I disagree they only fixed what ‘needed’ fixing. I’d side with Nikon on a lens repair over a dealer who has skin in the game ….
They told you their skin in the game and if you disagreed with them you were well within your rights to return it too. They didn't hide any information either.
Also saying Nikon has no skin in the game isn't entirely true either.... They don't fix things for free ;)

Last edited:
I am a long time customer at LCE both in my local shop and online. I've never had any problems with anything I've bought from them either in shop or online. For all the bad experience stories I can porbably relate 10 or more good experience stories. Sorry you've had a bad experience but it isn't typical. I'd suggest ringing them to discuss, they are really a good outlet.

They told you their skin in the game and if you disagreed with them you were well within your rights to return it too. They didn't hide any information either.
Also saying Nikon has no skin in the game isn't entirely true either.... They don't fix things for free ;)
I believe they did hide the fact the motor was reported as out of spec. I agree, I was able to return the lens, no argument there. It left a sour taste to receive the lens and only find out there was a potential fault with the lens, as Nikon had mentioned this in the service paperwork and I was not informed when discussing the lens.
It’s that part I find unacceptable, had I not specifically requested the paperwork for the service, I’d never have known the lens was reported as faulty.
It felt dishonest, and now I’ve had another deal with LCE that’s again come with a surprise, I’m just disappointed that such a highly rated dealer conducts business in this way.

To make matters worse, out of curiosity, I have checked the battery model... and they've supplied an EN-EL18 instead of a EN-EL18a :rolleyes:

I'll call them this morning

Last edited:
Just spoke to LCE.....

The guy on the phone didn't seem all that bothered, and claimed that the battery charger charged the battery to 100% when he tried it. I offered to try an overnight charge of the battery and see what's what.

As for the incorrect battery in the camera - 'It's not worth us trying to sort that for you'.

Great, thanks LCE.

LCE is also very different branch to branch as they run their own outlets. I find the Gosforth branch excellent in every way. Given how hard it is for retailers now, perhaps identify a single branch rather than potentially damage all the others who are not involved in this.

LCE is also very different branch to branch as they run their own outlets. I find the Gosforth branch excellent in every way. Given how hard it is for retailers now, perhaps identify a single branch rather than potentially damage all the others who are not involved in this.
Good point, I've had brilliant service from the Plymouth branch, also Bristol.

I believe they did hide the fact the motor was reported as out of spec. I agree, I was able to return the lens, no argument there. It left a sour taste to receive the lens and only find out there was a potential fault with the lens, as Nikon had mentioned this in the service paperwork and I was not informed when discussing the lens.
It’s that part I find unacceptable, had I not specifically requested the paperwork for the service, I’d never have known the lens was reported as faulty.
It felt dishonest, and now I’ve had another deal with LCE that’s again come with a surprise, I’m just disappointed that such a highly rated dealer conducts business in this way.

To make matters worse, out of curiosity, I have checked the battery model... and they've supplied an EN-EL18 instead of a EN-EL18a :rolleyes:

I'll call them this morning
Just spoke to LCE.....

The guy on the phone didn't seem all that bothered, and claimed that the battery charger charged the battery to 100% when he tried it. I offered to try an overnight charge of the battery and see what's what.

As for the incorrect battery in the camera - 'It's not worth us trying to sort that for you'.

Great, thanks LCE.

hmmm.... that's certainly atypical of my experience with LCE.
Which branch is this?

I recently bought a new lens and the manager exchanged two copies because first one had few specs of dust in it and second one had just the one spec but he was very apologetic and even collected it for returns.
i think I have dealt with most branches and at least all the ones in the south of England. London one is probably the worst one of the lot but they aren't bad, just don't hold the same standards of other branches.

I'm suprised by this as I've only ever had faultless service from LCE. Only last week, I bought a pair of (new) binoculars, ordered on the Monday, they were in my hands by 2pm the next day.

I've bought several used items and again, it's been faultless.

I'm sorry to hear you've been unlucky, IME, it's not like them.

hmmm.... that's certainly atypical of my experience with LCE.
Which branch is this?

I recently bought a new lens and the manager exchanged two copies because first one had few specs of dust in it and second one had just the one spec but he was very apologetic and even collected it for returns.
i think I have dealt with most branches and at least all the ones in the south of England. London one is probably the worst one of the lot but they aren't bad, just don't hold the same standards of other branches.
I'd prefer not to mention the location on an open forum. As it stands, I've ordered several battery chargers from Amazon, so fingers crossed I'll find one that chargers to 100%.

As for the battery, I've asked if they can at least source another en-el18 (the same as I've got now) or perhaps a 3rd party battery so I have more capacity. The original Nikon part is £190 and I'm not expecting that, but something! I'm trying to hold onto the camera, as it was a great price, but perhaps this is why it was cheap??

I'm suprised by this as I've only ever had faultless service from LCE. Only last week, I bought a pair of (new) binoculars, ordered on the Monday, they were in my hands by 2pm the next day.

I've bought several used items and again, it's been faultless.

I'm sorry to hear you've been unlucky, IME, it's not like them.
I've ordered 4 items from LCE. 2 were excellent and 2 (this is the second) have had issues :(

I've ordered 4 items from LCE. 2 were excellent and 2 (this is the second) have had issues :(
I've dealt with various branches of LCE for more than 4 decades and never had a problem. I've had purchases with faults, of course but they've always repaired, exchanged or refunded at my choice. As a result, I'm biased in their favour.

However, even if I weren't, I still can't see that your complaint is valid. Anyone purchasing second hand is buying something the previous owner didn't want to keep. The chances are there was something not quite right with the item, when they sold it to LCE, so you would be foolish to expect it to be perfect.

• Wow
Reactions: Sky
I've dealt with various branches of LCE for more than 4 decades and never had a problem. I've had purchases with faults, of course but they've always repaired, exchanged or refunded at my choice. As a result, I'm biased in their favour.

However, even if I weren't, I still can't see that your complaint is valid. Anyone purchasing second hand is buying something the previous owner didn't want to keep. The chances are there was something not quite right with the item, when they sold it to LCE, so you would be foolish to expect it to be perfect.
Do you think I’m foolish to expect a camera to be supplied with the correct battery? Or a battery that will charge to 100% ?

Those seem like very basic things to expect from a highly rated dealer.

On a separate note, the supplied charger is a Wasabi unit.... the manager of the store swears blind that when he used it, the battery charged to 100%... Which is odd, considering there's multiple reviews online that say the Wasabi unit will not charge genuine Nikon batteries to 100%. I smell a rat

Last edited:
I think your going over the top with your reactions , your buying used items and expecting them to be in new condition , . The shop can only supply you with what was taken in PX .. they will inspect the goods when brought in on a visual basis but you can’t expect them to check how long or efficiently a battery charges ,only that it works .
The previous owners of the items may or may not have had a problem with it but they won’t inform the shop if they do . Bit like selling a used car to a dealer do you tell them all it’s faults .not a chance .

If you want perfect cameras etc buy new there’s your answer

I think your going over the top with your reactions , your buying used items and expecting them to be in new condition , . The shop can only supply you with what was taken in PX .. they will inspect the goods when brought in on a visual basis but you can’t expect them to check how long or efficiently a battery charges ,only that it works .
The previous owners of the items may or may not have had a problem with it but they won’t inform the shop if they do . Bit like selling a used car to a dealer do you tell them all it’s faults .not a chance .

If you want perfect cameras etc buy new there’s your answer
Please point out where I have said I am expecting them to be in a new condition?

The charger does not work - it's a common fault with the charger supplied that it cannot charge OEM batteries properly.

Last edited:
Do you think I’m foolish to expect a camera to be supplied with the correct battery? Or a battery that will charge to 100% ?
A battery is a consumable. I always assume that the battery in a second hand camera is past its best and factor that into my assessment of the value. The same goes for any memory card that comes with the camera.

A battery is a consumable. I always assume that the battery in a second hand camera is past its best and factor that into my assessment of the value. The same goes for any memory card that comes with the camera.
That is fair enough and not disputed. But would you expect the correct battery to be supplied with your camera?

But would you expect the correct battery to be supplied with your camera?
If you mean "a Nikon battery in a Nikon camera", my answer would be "no".

This matter has been resolved.

A member of their senior manager called me this morning and they have resolved this matter immediately and to my satisfaction.

Thank you LCE - I am pleased to put this matter to bed and move on.

Excellent service from LCE in the end, and I would not hesitate to deal with them again and will certainly recommend them. It looks like my experience is similar to their long standing customers on here.

All round happy

If you mean "a Nikon battery in a Nikon camera", my answer would be "no".

Yeah I would. It's key the functioning of the camera. I would also expect the correct type of battery. I'd also expect the sensor to be clear of dust and marks - and if not this very clearly mentioned in the advert.

Condition is a moot point but with descriptions, good pictures the buyer can ascertain most of these.

It is to be fair why I avoid buying used bodies.

It is to be fair why I avoid buying used bodies.
Each to his own.

I have bought just 1 new body in the last 20 years, out of the dozens of cameras that have been through my hands.

When it comes to batteries, I always buy off brand and am seldom unhappy with the results. The way I see it, a Nikon branded battery might cost £60 at a discounter, while the off brand equivalent is £12 to £25 from Amazon. The chances of the Nikon branded product being 4 times better aren't good, while the dearer off brand version is likely to work exactly as well, in my experience.

Back