Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

Few findings having had a X-E1 and 18-55mm for a month or two now, just my view and purely subjective. Some of the perceived cons I was aware of before buying such as poor AF tracking and AF speed (haven't found that a problem)

Pros
Lightweight
Well Made
Excellent Image Quality (JPEG in particular)
Ease Of Use

Cons
Exposure Compensation dial and Aperture ring on lens need more resistance, On/Off switch could be more positive too
Continuous AF poor even with relatively slow moving subjects
Slow to start up and change back from image review (turned the latter off)
RAW processing not as good as I am used to (supposedly improved with latest versions of LR5)
All values set to 1/3 stop, no ability to adjust
Eyepiece Cup cannot be changed for something more substantial
Very fiddly to remove SD card

Despite the few cons I have thoroughly enjoyed using it and will no doubt continue to do so, certainly taken it out with me more often than I might have done with a larger heavier DSLR, saying that, I have no intention of switching over completely to the smaller format. Still feel that my 5D MKII and lenses have a part to play especially for when I want to process RAW to its full extent, require improved AF capability and no doubt other differences that do not spring readily to mind

Cannot imaging buying a newer model or any other lenses either, for slow deliberate tripod mounted landscape work I would still prefer a DSLR. Same applies when something like a 70-200mm lens or longer is needed, aware that the Fuji 55-200mm receives good reviews, but to me it defeats the whole object given its size especially when fully extended.

Very glad I bought the camera/lens, complete bargain for around 450 quid from the Fuji refurb shop and would definitely recommend others to give it a try. To me its ideal to use alongside a DSLR, don't see it as a competition and just pleased I can enjoy the benefits of both systems

Last edited:
So today I took delivery of a new tripod, my normal workhorse is a Manfrotto 055XDB which with the X-E1 on it looks fairly ridiculous and it is pretty overkill. I started doing research and as always took way too long to decide what to go for when I chose the Sirui T-005X. I'd seen the measurements online before buying it but it still shocked me when I opened it up today, it's tiny! The first thing that hit me was the construction, the attention to detail is superb and everything clicks nice and loudly and is well dampened. Only had the camera sat on it in the lounge but seems stable enough.

14525964403_90b72224df_o.jpg

The best part is that it folds down and fits inside my Lowepro Event Messenger 250 bag, so I now have one single bag that holds my X-E1, 60mm, 35mm, 18mm, filters, spare batteries, a tripod and still room for some water and snacks..

14319251538_9b825f909d_o.jpg

This is why I love the Fuji X system.

Adam

Few findings having had a X-E1 and 18-55mm for a month or two now, just my view and purely subjective. Some of the perceived cons I was aware of before buying such as poor AF tracking and AF speed (haven't found that a problem)

Pros
Lightweight
Well Made
Excellent Image Quality (JPEG in particular)
Ease Of Use

Cons
Exposure Compensation dial and Aperture ring on lens need more resistance, On/Off switch could be more positive too
Continuous AF poor even with relatively slow moving subjects
Slow to start up and change back from image review (turned the latter off)
RAW processing not as good as I am used to (supposedly improved with latest versions of LR5)
All values set to 1/3 stop, no ability to adjust
Eyepiece Cup cannot be changed for something more substantial
Very fiddly to remove SD card

Despite the few cons I have thoroughly enjoyed using it and will no doubt continue to do so, certainly taken it out with me more often than I might have done with a larger heavier DSLR, saying that, I have no intention of switching over completely to the smaller format. Still feel that my 5D MKII and lenses have a part to play especially for when I want to process RAW to its full extent, require improved AF capability and no doubt other differences that do not spring readily to mind

Cannot imaging buying a newer model or any other lenses either, for slow deliberate tripod mounted landscape work I would still prefer a DSLR. Same applies when something like a 70-200mm lens or longer is needed, aware that the Fuji 55-200mm receives good reviews, but to me it defeats the whole object given its size especially when fully extended.

Very glad I bought the camera/lens, complete bargain for around 450 quid from the Fuji refurb shop and would definitely recommend others to give it a try. To me its ideal to use alongside a DSLR, don't see it as a competition and just pleased I can enjoy the benefits of both systems

Most of those issues have been addressed with the XE-2, but I agree, for that price you have a superb camera.
I sold all my DSLR gear when I got my first fuji x (x100) then thought I was missing out so bought and sold 3 more DSLR's till I was convinced the move had been right for me.
Giving up a DSLR is not for everyone, but loads have gone down that route, especially since the next generation of mirrorless and MFT cameras have appeared.
My shoulders are certainly feeling the benefit too
Allan

Took my X-E2 with 18-55 to France a couple of weeks ago. Very impressed with the images and the camera. Heres one I took, hand held, albeit leaning against my van.
ISO 2000, ƒ4 at 0.3.
Allan
14527987113_1d40a82590_c.jpg

Took my X-E2 with 18-55 to France a couple of weeks ago. Very impressed with the images and the camera. Heres one I took, hand held, albeit leaning against my van.
ISO 2000, ƒ4 at 0.3.
Allan

Even with OIS that's still very sharp at the shutter speed! Must have very steady hands!

Thanks, that was the best of abou 10. Still got my fair share of blurry shots
Allan

Do you sell through your own website?
Sorry just seen your question. I did have a website when i had my wedding business but now im a cheapskate (well i am scottish ) lol and have gone down the facebook route. Sign off the times i think it reaches out to more people. Ive not long got it up and running but already getting success with it.
Www.facebook.com/karenaddisonphotography

I've joined the club. Got the xe1 with 27mm on the wex deal as my take everywhere/street photography camera. It partners my 2 xpro1s nicely. Very happy. Just needs to stop raining now.....

Jeff

The free lenses are outsourced by Fuji to a fulfilment company. The demand for lenses has been very high, and so they seem to have been getting longer and longer. Also from time to time the Fulfilment company runs out of stock of a particular lens and has to wait for Fuji to re-supply. Best course of action is to give Fuji a call, who will put you in touch with the Fulfilment company.

Previously my free lens came in standard post, my cashback took nearly 7 weeks to arrive.

I waited 3 weeks then emailed Fuji. They responded a couple of hours later saying they had been overwhelmed by the offer and had just got new stock in. They also said my lens (55-200) had just been posted, it came the next day via City Link.
Its a superb lens...

Allan

Last edited:
I waited 3 weeks then emailed Fuji. They responded a couple of hours later saying they had been overwhelmed by the offer and had just got new stock in. They also said my lens had just been posted, it came the next day via City Link.
Its a superb lens...

Allan

Hi, could nt tell me what email address you got them on could you - no harm in my asking the question - I know they got the application as it was signed for :D

Not sure if this is just the standard response or they've actually checked my claim but their reply was:

Good Afternoon,

We apologise for the delay but due to high demand we have a stock shortage,
we should be getting some more lenses in later this week.

Please feel free to chase this up again if you feel it is taking too long.

Hi,

A question about the X-E1 and then the same question about cameras in general!

I was trying the multiple exposure facility on my X-E1 (6 fps I think) and switched the focus to 'C' so continuous. I wondered whether this might be a way of getting the best chance of an in focus picture of a moving target. What I was wondering is whether the camera continues to focus for each individual frame or whether it focuses for the first frame and remains at that focus for the remaing exposures? So if you had an object moving towards you then if the camera focuses once then it would get more and more out of focus as you hold down the shutter button. I didn't get round to experimenting but I suspect the camera does just focus once.

Leading on from that, do all cameras focus once or do your high end SLRs focus for each shot?

Thanks!

In theory it should keep the target in focus as it tracks it, not so good in practice though.

I remember an old digital bridge type camera I had about 10 years ago that had "predictive focussing" I took 3 shots of my dog running towards me and all of them were in focus.
I think it was a Fuji
Allan

Back