Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

Any suggestion on 3rd party batteries?
I have a X-E1+18-55+55-230 arriving next week and I believe spare batteries will be essencial :p

Thanks. Has anyone ever tried these cheaper ChiliPower ones?
Not me, I've been using a couple of the Ex-Pro batteries for a year now and they're at least as good as the Fuji originals.

Cold and foggy today..

X-E2, Rolleinar MC 28/2.8, VSCO+

Right guys, been off photography for a while now:( probably down to size of my canon gear. Seeing some of the stuff on here really making me want to do a swap.

Funnily enough I recognise a good few names here that I used to follow with dslrs haha.

So ex-1 is looking good, seen the refurbished deal with the 2 kit lenses, but would I be better getting some primes instead do you think? How good are the kit lenses as I do like low light photography etc.

Thanks!

Any any other points I should look at? Moving form a canon 60d.

Right guys, been off photography for a while now:( probably down to size of my canon gear. Seeing some of the stuff on here really making me want to do a swap.

Funnily enough I recognise a good few names here that I used to follow with dslrs haha.

So ex-1 is looking good, seen the refurbished deal with the 2 kit lenses, but would I be better getting some primes instead do you think? How good are the kit lenses as I do like low light photography etc.

Thanks!

The two kit zooms are actually very good optically, even if they feel a bit light and plasticky! For low light (on a budget) I would recommend the 18/2 and 35/1.4. The kit zooms have brilliant stabilisation for low light, but stabiisation is only really effective in low light for static subjects, hence the recommendation for the primes. The alternative you could consider for flexibility would be the 18-55/2.8-4.

It's a crackin' deal, remember to use the code for the extra 10% off.

For a low light prime the 35mm is by far the best value.

(Edit: misread the deal being XF rather than XC lenses)

Last edited:
The 35mm is an excellent lens, is all I use at the moment ! I have the 16-50 and it is very Sharp, and silent focusing :)

Thanks!

The refurbished deal is a great package. The 16-50 lens feels slightly better than a Canon kit lens but is a much better lens. I've got the XC16-50 and the more expensive XF18-55 and probably use the 16-50 more for the slightly wider angle and it saves a bit on weight.

If you are planning on night photography in the style you used to do then I wouldn't rush to get any of the primes until you are happy with the Fuji system. But one thing to consider is that you may miss the focusing speed of the Canon if you are taking family pictures with fast moving children in them!

I've not owned the X-E1 (the only fuji I haven't) but I believe the focus speed is similar to the X-Pro1 which I did have and while it was fine for the bulk of the shots I took I much prefer the speed of the X-E2 and the X-T1.

Wow just looked at prices for the lenses, don't come cheap do they haha looks good though!

Will have to have a wee think and decided on which way to go, would w able to get none prime so 35mm would be best all rounder.

Oh and quick silly question, is there an auto mode for shooting? Just for if the wife is going to use it...

The refurbished deal is a great package. The 16-50 lens feels slightly better than a Canon kit lens but is a much better lens. I've got the XC16-50 and the more expensive XF18-55 and probably use the 16-50 more for the slightly wider angle and it saves a bit on weight.

If you are planning on night photography in the style you used to do then I wouldn't rush to get any of the primes until you are happy with the Fuji system. But one thing to consider is that you may miss the focusing speed of the Canon if you are taking family pictures with fast moving children in them!

I've not owned the X-E1 (the only fuji I haven't) but I believe the focus speed is similar to the X-Pro1 which I did have and while it was fine for the bulk of the shots I took I much prefer the speed of the X-E2 and the X-T1.
or that

Thanks for the run down! I haven't really done much of that type if stuff for a long time, just really meant some low light street stuff maybe :)

Will have to have a better read about the focus as that could be a down point. Although I find I've probably used my phone more than the slr for the kids photos in the last while!

So there is a discount code for the site too did someone mention? :D

So there is a discount code for the site too did someone mention? :D

Yup, use "paypal12" at the checkout. It only works for a body or body kit, not a lens only purchases. And you need to then pay for the purchase with Paypal.

I can't find the refurbished X-E1 kit anymore to compare prices, but check also this one. I believe it's a bit more expensive, but it comes with the XF 18-55, instead of the XC zoom (the tele is the XC version).

EDIT: I don't know if people know this store around here in the forum, but it's trustable (if there's any value in my word :p)

Last edited:
Thanks. The price difference is more than I remembered... I went for the XF kit because of the wonders I hear about this lens.

3 days left to receive it :D

Yup, use "paypal12" at the checkout. It only works for a body or body kit, not a lens only purchases. And you need to then pay for the purchase with Paypal.
I'm pretty certain I paid with my credit card when I bought my xe2 and used the 'paypal12' discount code

Just remember that if you do as I did and move along the kit lens you might find yourself without a lens for some time. I've not been able to track down a 35-56 or 60mm prime and all the while my lovely xe2 is sitting doing hee haw.

I also paid with a credit card after using the discount code stated above

Hey guys, sorry if this is covered somewhere but wasn't easily found. The XE2 is a great camera but there is one thing that annoys me in comparison to my X100 and 100S. I use the viewfinder and then like to look at my images or alter the menus using the LCD. I don't really want the LCD on at any other time to save battery life. Am I right in thinking I cannot do this i.e. I use the viewfinder, with eye sensor so it only come on when I want to, and then to review images taken or use the menus I have to look through the viewfinder?

Set the viewfinder to eye sensor, if your eye is not at the viewfinder pressing Play or Menu will bring up either the image or the menu on the LCD.

Set the viewfinder to eye sensor, if your eye is not at the viewfinder pressing Play or Menu will bring up either the image or the menu on the LCD.

Hmmm...if I set to eye sensor I get nothing on the LCD. I get everything in the viewfinder when I put my eye to it. If I press the play button or menu they both appear in the viewfinder - menu and playback. The nearest I can get to what I want is having the image in the viewfinder for taking and an info display on the LCD but that means the LCD is still always on. I simply want to use the viewfinder for shooting and to switch on the LCD when I want to playback or use the menus. I'm actually thinking I read that they changed something in the XE2 about this - or did I imagine it.

Looking at primes today and due to the prices think I could only just stretch to body and 1 prime if I'm lucky haha...

So would probably be better with the refurbished deal. Would love a 23 and 35/50ish though!

16181819976_b61e81c22c_c.jpg

X-E1 + 60mm F/2.4

Adam

Back