Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

My first ever attempt. Up Cairn O Mount in Aberdeenshire - used StarStaX

Didn't use any editing on the images (around 25 of them) - just stacked to see what would happen .

I really struggle with the XE-2 with the 18-55 to get good focus / aperture settings for really sharp images. The infinity focus doesn't quite yield what I would expect.

3iwvWet.jpg

Can you share some examples for us to take a look?

I mean when I am on tripod pointing up to a blank sky at 2am with a few stars around, when I shoot at f/2.8 at 18mm obviously the DOF is quite shallow so when I go to infinity it seems sometime the stars are actually closer than "infinity".

I'm around six months into my Fuji owning experience and I have to say, the x-e1 is the single nicest digital camera I've ever owned! Despite its flaws!

I find the shutter and exposure compensation dials a pleasure to use, and the auto iso function is (now) implemented perfectly.

I don't particularly like the evf, especially with non-wide manual lenses, but the Fuji glass is generally amazing anyway.

Image quality doesn't match my Canon EOS 6D, particularly at high iso, but I'm comfortable using it at up to iso 3200 (2500 in real terms).

What would I improve? AF speed in low light, evf lag, better rear screen...sounds like an x-e2 may be useful in the future! But despite it's faults, the x-e1 is a genuine joy to use, and is my obvious go to camera of choice now, unless I want the ultimate in image quality, which carries quite a weight penalty.

The difference between the x-e1 and the Sony a7 (for me) couldn't be more stark. The a7 was such a let down. It was the camera I least enjoyed ever using, which was a massive surprise, given that I owned a Sigma sd9 at one point!!

Anyway, enough rambling, I've nearly finished my 20 mins on the exercise bike lol

BTW my most used lenses appear to be the 18/2, 35/1.4 and 16-50mm. I have the 50-230mm and Samyang 12/2 primed for use and the 27/2.8 if I can ever get used to the fov. I'd like to use my old Super Takumar 55/2 for portraits but I'm not keen on the evf for that purpose.

</ramble>

Interesting post, I've had both an X-E1 and X-E2 for just over a year now, and an X100 for a year prior to that. I would agree that they are very nice cameras to use, but I had a FF itch that needed scratching and bought a s/h 6D (mint) a couple of weeks ago. The high ISO on the 6D is astonishing, but for fun the Fuji's are what I want to shoot with, and as manualfocus-g says they are lightweight.

I've not had the 6D long enough to really compare image quality, and I don't have a lot of FF Canon Glass, but I'm very happy with my camera choices, and can pick what I'm in the mood for!

Tried it this morning, can see the intervelometer there but finally the remote camera function works! I've never previously been able to get the wifi to work with my HTC m8, it does now.

I wonder why they didn't include the enhancement to allow the resizing of the AF box in MF mode? That would have been a big improvement to me.

It's a great sharp lens, totally underrated ! :)

Totally agree :) It's light, very sharp and quick to focus. Way better than the normal cheapie Tamron/Sigma zooms for DSLRs. Then again, it costs significantly more than them if you buy it retail. The only thing that weirds me out is the extending barrel...urrgh!

I agree :), and yes it a bit on the longside especially with hood attached ! :).. but can't complain for a free lens :)

A nice looking deal on the X-E1 has been listed on the refurb site..
  • Fujifilm X-E1 Body (Black)
  • XC16-50mm lens (Black)
  • XC50-230mm lens (Silver)
  • X-Series CSC bag (brown)
  • 16GB Class 10 memory card
£429.98
(should be £386.98 with PAYPAL12 code)

22 available (black camera body)
http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/fujifilm-x-e1-refurbished.html

Nice little starter kit for someone.

A nice looking deal on the X-E1 has been listed on the refurb site..
  • Fujifilm X-E1 Body (Black)
  • XC16-50mm lens (Black)
  • XC50-230mm lens (Silver)
  • X-Series CSC bag (brown)
  • 16GB Class 10 memory card
£429.98
(should be £386.98 with PAYPAL12 code)

22 available (black camera body)
http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/fujifilm-x-e1-refurbished.html

Nice little starter kit for someone.
Shame it's bundled with the silver 50-230, but still very good value !

Can you update the xe2 firmware straight from camera attached to laptop?

I'm trying to do this and it says i have to copy a file to the card via the card reader then reinsert the card into the camera. I don't have a card reader anymore and thought i could just attach the usb and follow some instructions but when i try this it says no upgrade found. I'm not sure how to copy the upgrade to my card when it's in camera. Right now my body is showing firmware 1.10 and 18-55 is showing 3.10.

Can you update the xe2 firmware straight from camera attached to laptop?

I'm trying to do this and it says i have to copy a file to the card via the card reader then reinsert the card into the camera. I don't have a card reader anymore and thought i could just attach the usb and follow some instructions but when i try this it says no upgrade found. I'm not sure how to copy the upgrade to my card when it's in camera. Right now my body is showing firmware 1.10 and 18-55 is showing 3.10.

Scott, The firmware update must be downloaded to a computer and then copied to a formatted SD Card. Insert the card into the camera without the lens attached for a body update, switch the camera on while holding the back button and then follow the instructions on the camera screen. Make sure the camera battery is full charged.

I know of no other way to update the firmware.

Hope this helps.,

George.

Thanks George. So i definitely need a card reader. I had downloaded the upgrade onto my laptop but when I connected my usb between that and the camera it wouldn't recognize it. I'll pick up one in a few days. Thanks again.

Last edited:
One other question which may be stupid but do I have to download the previous versions too are are they all included within the latest one?

All included, latest one brings it right up to date

I can't get to my instructions just now as my son is asleep in the room but does anyone know how to fire the flash? It's on auto mode just now and I've popped it up but it won't fire. It's greyed out too so I can't change the settings to get it off auto. Also does anyone use face detection?

I can't get to my instructions just now as my son is asleep in the room but does anyone know how to fire the flash? It's on auto mode just now and I've popped it up but it won't fire. It's greyed out too so I can't change the settings to get it off auto. Also does anyone use face detection?

Is it on silent mode in the camera menu,that stop the flash from firing need to be in the off position :)

Scott, I don't have at the moment access to an instruction book, but I seem to recall that if you go into the menu settings and look for the external flash setting and make sure that it is switched "off" you will probably find that your inbuilt flash will then work. I'm afraid I can't help you with face detection as I've never used it, I prefer to sort all those things out manually for myself.

Hope this helps.,

George.

Scott, Sorry I totally forgot about the silent mode, this also prevents the flash from firing.

George.

Yes it was the silent setting. It's been working all night. Very impressed so far with what I'm viewing on the lcd. I have the black and white filter on and it looks really nice.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Back