The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I still don't know what to do with my Fuji setup. I just took a weeks worth of "days out" pictures into LR, and they're okay but nothing makes me think "nice". On one hand I knew a crop format wasn't going to match my FF DSLR, but on the other the only plus point is size and I don't know now that is enough for me now taking into account performance and IQ deficits

I also went to Fuji from a FF Canon (5D MKII) and decent selection of lenses, although the photos may not be of equal quality the amount it gets used has increased massively. No matter how good a set up is that advantage is totally negated if it doesn't get used for whatever reason.
Got to the point with me that I just didn't want to lug a great big camera and heavy bag around, no point having a hobby that becomes a chore rather than the pleasure it is meant to be. Off out today and the camera, 18-55 and 14mm all fit in my everyday rucksack and still got plenty of space for some lunch

Have to say I can see how the quality wouldn't match that of the 1ds, but also having had a 7D/17-55mm I find the Fuji to be an improvement on that particular combination. Admittedly nearly all of my subject matter is static and never tried out the X-T1 for anything action based, so can see how it may not suit your application

Life is all about compromise and I have accepted there will never be a perfect solution, but for now this does it for me. Should mention I have kept an old 5D and couple of lenses, but as yet they haven't been used since I got the Fuji and beginning to wonder if they ever will again.

How bizarre, I took mine with me on a flight Monday evening!

At last the weather was kind when we had the flight booked, hope you enjoyed it, not exactly mountainous in Cambridgeshire either :)

Last edited:
I still don't know what to do with my Fuji setup. I just took a weeks worth of "days out" pictures into LR, and they're okay but nothing makes me think "nice". On one hand I knew a crop format wasn't going to match my FF DSLR, but on the other the only plus point is size and I don't know now that is enough for me now taking into account performance and IQ deficits. I don't find the 18-55 even close to the Canon 17-55 at all, even the 25-105 I prefer if I'm honest.

I just got hold of the 56mm and whilst IQ is nice, the performance sucks. In low light (where I'd use f1.2 a lot) it really struggles quite badly. Even in good light it's not that quick, I'm used to the Canon f1.8 which is quite fast I guess.

On paper the system is great, but in use it does frustrate me at times :(

I find my X-T1 and fast primes match the image quality and in terms of skintones/colour beats my old FF setups, the only downside (which doesnt effect me) is resolution and does effect me a bit is AF (but comparing that against CaNikons pro models is a little silly!), in saying that the 6D was probably worse AF wise. This is coming from a D700/D800/5D/6D.

The 56 can be slow but remember its an F1.2 lens, the Canon F1.2 is even slower.

Last edited:
At last the weather was kind when we had the flight booked, hope you enjoyed it, not exactly mountainous in Cambridgeshire either :)

Nope it's not! We were supposed to launch in Peterborough, about 5 minutes from my house, but instead went up the A1, just south of Grantham. I did enjoy it, even though there was barely any wind so we didn't travel far. Next time I would just prefer something a little more 'interesting' to look at! Like enormous waterfalls, herds of Wildebeast galloping majestically accross the plane; that sort of thing. Failing that, a hill would be nice.

Edit: I really want my Fuji setup to work, over the past months I've picked up an X-E1, X-T1, 23mm, 35mm, 56mm, 60mm, 18-55 and 50-230mm. The slight deficiencies in IQ I could live with if it was much closer in performance to DSLR. I don't shoot static subjects and I've never been more frustrated using a camera than I have with a Fuji when it comes to capturing the moment!

I too keep being in doubts. I have the xt-1 for 1 months and moved from a good old canon 40D:
-Sometime colours are great but sometime they are totally off.
-Focusing is an issue and get a lot of oof shot even doing portrait outdoor in sunny condition. Maybe I'm not set correctly. If I use the continuous focus I find it just totally pointless so I use single focus but quiet often get a red square of miss-focusing
-Details, there's a bit more detail than on my 40D but sometimes when I am looking closely the xt1 detail looks like they have been water painted (grass, leaves, feather...) with a very unnatural look.

I just want to love that camera and the size of it but I keep doubting....

The only thing so far I'm very happy with is the xt1 + samyang 10mm f/2.8 for night photography, it's so light and compact and the result are great.
The 55-200 is way to big and not long enough for wildlife.
I have mixed thinking about the 23mm, same as the xt1 body, I want to love it, on the paper it's my favourite lens but I'm not sure it actually is...

I will give it more time and consideration.

I too keep being in doubts. I have the xt-1 for 1 months and moved from a good old canon 40D:
-Focusing is an issue and get a lot of oof shot even doing portrait outdoor in sunny condition. Maybe I'm not set correctly. If I use the continuous focus I find it just totally pointless so I use single focus but quiet often get a red square of miss-focusing

This is a little odd, I never get a red square unless I am to close to the subject (MFD). It always is green or it takes a little while then releases the shutter when it finds focus. Is your camera set up in high performance mode?

-Details, there's a bit more detail than on my 40D but sometimes when I am looking closely the xt1 detail looks like they have been water painted (grass, leaves, feather...) with a very unnatural look.

Are you using RAW? Adobe products?

See replies in bold

Do you use Adobe programs for your editing twist?

I do mate, mainly LR because of the workflow and work pays for my CC license ;), if its a money making shot Ill use something else. I mainly shoot JPG and wide open portraits so not massively fussed about extremely fine details.

Cheers mate. I'm trialling my x20 in Jpeg mode and also shooting Astia like yourself.

Just wondered if there was something better for Fuji files than Lr. (Not that I have any complaints but it does render RAW files alot differently from the x20.)

Perhaps I worded that wrong, I am fussed to a certain extent (Ive used a lot of high end gear) and the files for the type of photography I do come out very well in LR from the X-T1. If I was taking photos of grass/landscapes Id use different software and then import it into my cats in LR. So not much more effort just different.

Cheers mate. I'm trialling my x20 in Jpeg mode and also shooting Astia like yourself.

Just wondered if there was something better for Fuji files than Lr. (Not that I have any complaints but it does render RAW files alot differently from the x20.)

Try Noise Ninja and Iridient (mac only) I think Capture 1 is also supposed to be okay but not as good at fine detail as the other 2.

I'm on PC so they're of no use to me but good to know. Thanks.

I tend to stick to low iso's and like you go wide open so a fairly basic editing process is all I do. I sometimes use Topaz DeNoise if I feel the need to but usually can't be bothered to pick out bits with the quick selection tool. :LOL:

See replies in bold

Agree with what Twist has said. To add to what Twist has stated, the High Performance mode is on page two of the maintenance menu, under Power Management. Also, try setting your green box two sizes back from minimum size, to see if this helps.

Last edited:
Here are the steps for good CAF performance….

1) High performance mode
2) CAF
3) Top dial CH
4) Focus box 2 sizes up from smallest

Done!

Agree with what Twist has said. To add to what Twist has stated, the High Performance mode is on page two of the maintenance menu, under Power Management. Also, try setting your green box two sizes back from minimum size, to see if this helps.

About the detail being a bit washy washy, I should upload some exemple some day because it's hard to be talking without exemple.

I though my camera was not set to low performance but I check last night and it is in high perfomance.
I do use the square as small as it gets. Maybe better to make it better but it's not always practical:
- the square became really big and it's hard to focus were you want to (people faces for exemple, I haven't try the face detection maybe I should...)
- sometime you shot focusing on something small and the focus hit the background instead of the small object you wanted to focus in. Again I should try putting some exemple up, I have a really good one were I was trying to take a shot of a peg in the ground and all image were oof focusing in the grass behind the peg.

Although not helping me to fully enjoy, the focusing of my 55-250 is buggered, I bough the lens on ebay and it was originaly refurbished but the lens miss 90% of focusing. (I dropped the lens 2 weeks ago!)

I think he means the continous focusing which is changed on front of camera. Where you have the MCS modes which can be altered by the toggle.

Also, set the focus square two sizes up from smallest setting using the command wheel.

Try these and see how you get on.

Edit: Have a read of this for settings, see if it helps. > http://www.johncaz.net/blog/setting-up-the-fujifilm-x-t1

Last edited:

Correct, front dial to C (For CAF or Continuos Auto Focus). The smallest box is for accuracy, take it 2 clicks up (bigger) to make it slightly less accurate but faster to AF. Don't use Face detect. Im incredibly surprised you couldn't take a shot of a pig in the middle of a field, the X-T1 and every other AF camera ever made could do that with ease. Are you sure its not your broken 55-200 and not the camera.

Last edited:
I find my X-T1 and fast primes match the image quality and in terms of skintones/colour beats my old FF setups, the only downside (which doesnt effect me) is resolution and does effect me a bit is AF (but comparing that against CaNikons pro models is a little silly!), in saying that the 6D was probably worse AF wise. This is coming from a D700/D800/5D/6D.

The 56 can be slow but remember its an F1.2 lens, the Canon F1.2 is even slower.

What do you mean by the 56 f/1.2 being slow ?

Correct, front dial to C (For CAF or Continuos Auto Focus). The smallest box is for accuracy, take it 2 clicks up (bigger) to make it slightly less accurate but faster to AF. Don't use Face detect. Im incredibly surprised you couldn't take a shot of a pig in the middle of a field, the X-T1 and every other AF camera ever made could do that with ease. Are you sure its not your broken 55-200 and not the camera.

He has written peg, does he mean pig?? or is it a tent peg or something similiar???????? It sounds as if his 55-200 is playing up and not a camera problem, perhaps he can claim on house insurance for a replacement.

It's hard giving advice if there is a faulty bit of equipment, and not clear what camera settings or lens being used.

- sometime you shot focusing on something small and the focus hit the background instead of the small object you wanted to focus in. Again I should try putting some exemple up, I have a really good one were I was trying to take a shot of a peg in the ground and all image were oof focusing in the grass behind the peg.

Although not helping me to fully enjoy, the focusing of my 55-250 is buggered, I bough the lens on ebay and it was originaly refurbished but the lens miss 90% of focusing. (I dropped the lens 2 weeks ago!)

Last edited:
I am delighted to of gotten rid of all that heavy DSLR stuff and moved to the XT-1 fuji system, for what I do it fits me perfectly, I can now fit my entire kit inside a small backpack and wear it all day. I do not print billboard size so the prints are excellent for what I do and it is a perfect companion to my Leica M240 as I can use Leica glass on the XT-1 also with excellent results.

The Fuji glass is amazing especially 23/35/56, I also have the 10-24 it is simply stunning.

He has written peg, does he mean pig?? or is it a tent peg or something similiar???????? It sounds as if his 55-200 is playing up and not a camera problem, perhaps he can claim on house insurance for a replacement.

It's hard giving advice if there is a faulty bit of equipment, and not clear what camera settings or lens being used.

Could be mate, few typos so I might have misunderstood, if its a peg it depends on the distance away from the subject as to how easily he'll get a lock and what size AF box to use.

Ok, curious. I opted for the Zeiss Touit 50M which by contrast focuses extremely fast.

Guess its subjective, like I said its not sloooow just a bit slower than the other primes I use. I might find the CZ even slower, dunno till Ive tried both.

Last edited:
I think he means the continous focusing which is changed on front of camera. Where you have the MCS modes which can be altered by the toggle.

Also, set the focus square two sizes up from smallest setting using the command wheel.

Try these and see how you get on.

Edit: Have a read of this for settings, see if it helps. > http://www.johncaz.net/blog/setting-up-the-fujifilm-x-t1

Thanks!

Lol that's quite funny. I took picture of a tent peg but also of a sheep (i guess a sheep or a pig will be the same kind of stuff for the camera...). I feel stupid again but also happy again. After looking into all options it turn out that I accidentally turn the macro mode on!!! Try to focus at 10m with macro turn on using the 55-250 and it is useless. With the 23mm it's not good but it does still manage to lock some correctly..... :exit:

Thanks!

Lol that's quite funny. I took picture of a tent peg but also of a sheep (i guess a sheep or a pig will be the same kind of stuff for the camera...). I feel stupid again but also happy again. After looking into all options it turn out that I accidentally turn the macro mode on!!! Try to focus at 10m with macro turn on using the 55-250 and it is useless. With the 23mm it's not good but it does still manage to lock some correctly..... :exit:

Hopefully your sorted now.

Last edited:
Fuji have always given us great FW updates. I think there through-life support is excellent.

Hi Nick, I agree with you completely the Fuji after sales support for existing units is excellent. It's a shame that some of the other manufacturers don't take a leaf out of Fuji's book and do the same. Instead of just continually pushing out new models with the minimum of difference to an earlier one surely they could sometimes bring a slightly earlier unit up to a similar spec with a decent FW update.

That's it my soapbox session is over!!

George.

Hi Nick, I agree with you completely the Fuji after sales support for existing units is excellent. It's a shame that some of the other manufacturers don't take a leaf out of Fuji's book and do the same. Instead of just continually pushing out new models with the minimum of difference to an earlier one surely they could sometimes bring a slightly earlier unit up to a similar spec with a decent FW update.

That's it my soapbox session is over!!

George.

That's not a rant. A well justified comment and an accurate reflation :)

Back