The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Also, had the email last night and ordered one. Been waiting months for this.

Link below if anyone needs one, although 3 have been sold in the last 15 minutes or so ( to us on thread?), does seem a little strange that they only had 5 in stock, do they sell these 5 then add more?

http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/x-t1-eye-cup.html

Last edited:
Just had another look and they are now sold out.

LR & PS Help Please.

I have never really bothered with processing until recently, when I started using the Microsoft software loaded on my computer. I have subscribed to Adobe CC this week and have been playing around with it a little and as expected it superior to the Microsoft software.

Can any of you kindly advise on some tips, presets etc which you use for your JPEGS, I'm not really interested in RAW at the moment as it's too slow loading with the bigger files.

Thanks

TBH with the JPEGS all I do is adjust clarity to suit, maybe adjust exposure if I screwed it up a bit, but the rest I leave to Fuji, who do a far better job than Adobe manage with the raws.

RE Firmware in December this one worries me a bit:
  1. AF Area direct selection – Users can select the focus area with the 4-way controller, without pressing the Fn Key.
If my D pad is now solely attached to moving AF ponts, how am I going to get at the rest of my functions? Anybody seem the new layout in action?

I got the email last night and ordered one. They were showing 20 in stock. Be quick!
Allan

Well my 18-55s supposed temporary replacement is here, an XC 16-50. Very impressed with it so far, certainly can't tell the results apart and focussing is IMO slightly faster despite being a slower lens, and it hasn't had the firmware updated yet. The plastic construction and lack of aperture ring are irritating, but we shall see how we get on with it in the wild. The idea of selling the 18-55 (once repaired of course) and putting the cash towards another prime is very appealing....

Its here and I'm loving it already. A beautifully engineered and designed piece of machinery.
Might have time later to take it out for a trial run.

Good day to take it out today, Andy. That's if you're not too knackered after the excesses of Saturday! Did you buy the 18-55 or the 16-50?

Well my 18-55s supposed temporary replacement is here, an XC 16-50. Very impressed with it so far, certainly can't tell the results apart and focussing is IMO slightly faster despite being a slower lens, and it hasn't had the firmware updated yet. The plastic construction and lack of aperture ring are irritating, but we shall see how we get on with it in the wild. The idea of selling the 18-55 (once repaired of course) and putting the cash towards another prime is very appealing....

I had the 16-50 & 50-230mm lenses earlier in the year when I had the XPro. Performance wise there wasn't much in it compared to the XF zoom lenses. Fantastic value lenses.

Speaking of focussing, does everybody's 35mm stop down whilst focussing?

Not had a lot of time to take anything serious as yet but I did manage to get a few shots at the out-laws today. All indoors in a fairly dark room of a very active 8 week old kitten. Shot between 1500 and 3200 ISO to try and freeze the nippy little blighter and so far I'm impressed. Hopefully next weekend I will get the chance to try a few proper landscapes etc.
These have had a bit of a crop and a little added contrast otherwise untouched jpegs.
JLB2 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

JLB5 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Andy

This might sound utterly ridiculous, but I'm going to ask anyway....

I'm shooting a large garden party on Wednesday and want to make it a "fuji-only" affair. There will be around 100 guests and it will be in a large garden, shot mid-afternoon.

I'm going to shoot in JPEG and I don't intend to edit the shots at all, so the question is, do I go for a vivid Velvia, or a more subtle Astia? What's your favourite film simulation?

Thanks in advance

This might sound utterly ridiculous, but I'm going to ask anyway....

I'm shooting a large garden party on Wednesday and want to make it a "fuji-only" affair. There will be around 100 guests and it will be in a large garden, shot mid-afternoon.

I'm going to shoot in JPEG and I don't intend to edit the shots at all, so the question is, do I go for a vivid Velvia, or a more subtle Astia? What's your favourite film simulation?

Thanks in advance

Astia

I would also go with Astia, find Velvia a bit too strong

Obvious answer would be a test shot before the groups. Personally, I use the standard (?Astia?) for all my shots and also use the largest, lowest compression JPEGs SOOC for prints up to A3+ - works for me! (I hate spending time in PP and prefer to be able to set a print job going and leaving it to get on with it!)

I
Speaking of focussing, does everybody's 35mm stop down whilst focussing?

Mine stops down to the chosen aperture after focus is achieved while the button is still half down. Or if exposure preview is on it will sometimes open the aperture while focusing depending on chosen aperture and available light. The aperture will also self adjust depending on lighting while not focusing just to give you a reasonable image on screen.

Standard is Provia, prefer the colour from Astia myself. Also find if just using jpeg turning the noise reduction setting down makes for a slightly nicer photo

Shows how much I've played with that setting!!!

Probably helped I had an X-E1 first and played about with a few settings.

Have to say that I'm not overly impressed with the Fuji manuals, in fact they are quite poor

I do have an expanded eBook manual that covers the x-pro1 and x-e1. Its very good and believe the same author is doing one for the x-t1 once the new firmware is in place

Last edited:
IT arrived yesterday, quite excited to get out shooting with it. A couple of questions if someone can help?

Noise reduction - what do you set it at?

JPEGS - Look great in camera, I have not tried any of the Fuji software but can the JPEG be converted to any of the other presents in post? i.e if I shoot is Provia can I easily change it to Astia after? Would be useful with some of the B&W presets.

Any other settings you would change when setting it up?

You'll have it sold in no time !

Thanks, I'll be very sad to see it go, Ive used a lot of expensive fast primes across all brands and I think its certainly been my favourite. Amazing value in comparison to others.

Seriously don't tempt me, I am in enough trouble as it is;). Sure it will sell quickly anyway!!

Seriously don't tempt me, I am in enough trouble as it is;). Sure it will sell quickly anyway!!

If you are impressed with the X-T1 now, just wait until you use it with the 56! Come January you'll be thinking "why did I waste those months without it?" :exit:

@twist :welcome:

If you are impressed with the X-T1 now, just wait until you use it with the 56! Come January you'll be thinking "why did I waste those months without it?" :exit:

@twist :welcome:

I totally agree with every word of what you have just said. :D

@AndrewSt Just think of how far you knock the ISO down at F1.2 now the nights are drawing in and poor weather is coming.

Last edited:
Anyone got a long exposure timer remote that actually works? 30" is too limiting for long exposures at base ISO.

Anyone got a long exposure timer remote that actually works? 30" is too limiting for long exposures at base ISO.

I use one of these when shooting on 'Bulb' The LCD screen displays a countdown so you don't have to count 'elephants' in your head.

The timer will also lock so you don't have to keep your finger on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electonic...raphy_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item3f3186b96a

The only problem I have found with the X-T1 is the halos that you get during long exposures, I'm not entirely happy with this:-

I've got the same remote as that too which works fine. Another one which might be worth a mention (at more cost) depending on how you want to use it, and if you have any other Fuji cameras is this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GGANE1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it to use as for time lapse on an X-M1 but it also works with the X-T1. Obviously you already have the time lapse function on the X-T1 but this allows a great deal of settings including timer, interval etc. And in BULB mode you can preset how long you want the exposure to be and it does the countdown and shutter close for you.

I bought it from CameraMarket through Amazon as they are a UK seller.

Back