Funship Graffiti

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Firstly apologies for posting so many images but I thought I'd go for it anyway. Happy to receive critique even if it is for the odd photo below.

For those who haven't heard of the "Funship" it is the Duke of Lancaster moored at Mostyn in North Wales which has an interesting history but has recently been the subject of some talented graffiti artists to bring the attention of this rusting ship to the local council.

Funship01
by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Funship02

Funship03

Funship04

Funship05

Funship06

I'm really interested I'm spending a night working here as its a location that looks to have a boatload of potential...what's the access like?

Now to the photos I'm actually a massive fan in graffiti art in the right context and for me this is it, there's clearly some time and talent gone in these and you've done them justice with the photos but while good to see the individual pieces for the detail in them they loose the context that you get with a wider field of view...

I think overall you've done well as the final one does show how hard it must be to get a decent angle on the ship, I'm wondering the style of processing done on it, is there a bit of HDR here as just looking at parts of upper structure some of the brighter sections have gone a bit grey something that happens with some HDR software

Access is easy, just head for Mostyn dock, its between Mostyn and Prestatyn. Large carpark close by, its all part of a large Sunday Market area.

Nice one Andrew, I'll have to take a ride up for a look around later in the year (y)

Hi Matt,

Thanks for taking time out to comment. No HDR software for these. I did a RAW conversion and then added a bit of brightness/contrast and vibrancy plus the obligatory sharpening but that was it.

The best place to park is at Abakhan Fabrics (CH8 9DX). Just walk out the back corner of the car park, under the railway track and you're there. Here's a full length image that I took while there (TP Thread here)

The Duke Of Lancaster 2
by Delta Skies, on Flickr[/quote]

It's looking increasingly appealing, it's a shame about that platform but nothing you could do about that, I particularly like the use of a long exposure...it's a crying shame there is no access to the deck as I could think of dozens of night time photos with access to deck, I could see giving access to it being a complete and utter health and safety nightmare though :(

Hasn't bothered the Urbex guys. Try typing funship and urbex into Google and see what i mean.

I don't doubt that in the slightest and truthfully while I would not be going up there simply as me and ladders don't exactly have a good relationship I wouldn't be able to deny that a certain shooting partner wouldn't be up there like a rat up a drain pipe ;)

as its used as a storage warehouse for a local business i would take care about snooping around if you do get on board .i don't think the owners minds the painters as he hates the local council ,but be careful .its only 5 minutes away from me so i know it well .

as its used as a storage warehouse for a local business i would take care about snooping around if you do get on board .i don't think the owners minds the painters as he hates the local council ,but be careful .its only 5 minutes away from me so i know it well .

That's interesting to know, he must really hate the local council as that cannot be the easiest thing to use as a warehouse :eek:

That's interesting to know, he must really hate the local council as that cannot be the easiest thing to use as a warehouse :eek:
i believe its solitaire clothing that use it who run the sunday market there

Some nice shots of the graffiti there.

There's full on security there now. Its a nightmare for night time photography. Me and a friend went last year to do some star trails and the security guards were constantly shining their torches at us (we were on the other side of the cut).

There are ongoing arguments with the council and owners (who want to use the ship as some sort of tourist attraction) regarding access to it. There are two (fighting) groups on Facebook trying to fight its cause.

I've spoken to people who apparently have some clout there and there is zero chance of getting access to it. Its a shame as it would make a hell of a project.
Apparently the platform will be getting moved soon. Hopefully.

A couple from last years visits.

Duke under the stars
by A_Cro, on Flickr

Duke of Lancaster
by A_Cro, on Flickr

Last edited:
To clarify, are you actually allowed to go to these places you're all shooting from. Id be very tempted to stop off if I was ever nearby? Not getting into trouble for it though!

Back