Garden Birds

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Some birds from my back garden shoot from my back bedroom window.

Sorry about the cluttered background, but that is all I have as at back of my garden is a wood.

Think I'm getting better but any tips (I am learning and willing too) bar the cluttering please feel free to comment, most are crops so there is leeway in them :)

Shot on Sigma 150-500mm + Canon 500d

Bull Finch (1 of 7)
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Bull Finch (7 of 7)
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Bull Finch (4 of 7)
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Bull Finch (3 of 7)
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_2056
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_2066
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_2067
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Woodpecker
by bthomas124, on Flickr

All comments welcome and appreciated

:ty:

Last edited:
I think the bullfinch shots would look much better from a lower angle. Maybe at the level of the water bowl?

I think the bullfinch shots would look much better from a lower angle. Maybe at the level of the water bowl?

Would be wonderful but impossible the water table is in the neighbours Garden and I was shooting from back upstairs bedroom :)

We will get a water table at some point so may be able to achieve lower POV eventually. (y)

Would be wonderful but impossible the water table is in the neighbours Garden and I was shooting from back upstairs bedroom :)

We will get a water table at some point so may be able to achieve lower POV eventually. (y)

we don't need to know what you get up to Bryn :p:p:p- I like the woodpecker shot- I don't often see these around the Levels

Les ;)

I'm only viewing these on my fone at work. I'll get back to them later when I get home to my pc and can have a proper look. Brace yer self:D

Bryn

The Robin has got the better potential - composition wise

can you get nearer - you are pretty good at close ups and macros

or has the RAW got more "pixies"

at 500mm hand held 1/250th sec or thereabouts is not really fast enough … unless you are really steady on a tripod

Robin_tintin.jpg

Last edited:
I'm only viewing these on my fone at work. I'll get back to them later when I get home to my pc and can have a proper look. Brace yer self:D

Look forward to it if it's constructive!!! ;)

Bryn

can you get nearer - you are pretty good at close ups and macros

or has the RAW got more "pixies"

Did you check the image on Flickr? There is more than above.

I could probably get closer yes but I would be shooting from the garden level which means for most of these I would be shooting up at the birds rather than level and some shots would be impossible as you wouldn't see the birds due to lower lying trees.

My Garden;

20140904_140056
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Shot from top level of the garden... so being upstairs is a fair bit higher and gets me above the initial line of trees.

The LTT ones on my flickr would have been great (POV not necessarily skillful) if I'd been in the garden :)

time to get your mower out and maybe a bit of "pruning" ……. then a few strategically placed perches, (stick some good branches into the ground nearer the house and you have a shed I see - you scan make your own hide!!), with seeds thrown on the ground should help - they will come down from the trees if you entice them and many birds are ground feeders anyway …….. looks prefect to me for "garden birds"

Looked at them on Flickr - "cannot see the birds for the background" - composition wise - would be my comment, if you see what I mean

and IMHO you need to review your camera settings if using a 500mm lens hand held

Last edited:
@BillN_33 lol... yes it did need pruning and cutting doesn't look like this currently... :) though laurel tree and bush that is covering the LTT needs further trimming.

and IMHO you need to review your camera settings if using a 500mm lens hand held

Care to explain a tad more... these were shot on AV mode set at f8 and ISO between 400 / 200 or lowest the light would allow. Are you seeing lots of handshake?

@BillN_33 lol... yes it did need pruning and cutting doesn't look like this currently... :) though laurel tree and bush that is covering the LTT needs further trimming.

Care to explain a tad more... these were shot on AV mode set at f8 and ISO between 400 / 200 or lowest the light would allow. Are you seeing lots of handshake?

the shots are not close enough to see any hand shake or indeed sharpness or much detail in the bird - normally, (generally) if you are using a 500mm lens you would aim for a shutter speed over 1/500th sec …… indeed many would say if it's hand held you should be nearer 1/1000th sec ………… to start with I would use ISO between 400 and 800 - the widest fvalue that you have on the lens at 500mm - spot focus, spot exposure, (or sometimes small group exposure)………. if you are still then under 1/500th sec ……..push the ISO up as with birds close up it is better to be sharper than less noisy, again if you see what I mean ……… but maybe you can hold the lens very steady at 1/200th sec ……. but it will be more hit and miss as it is not only "camera shake" ………. many birds "move" all the time even when perched .. they "twitch"

Last edited:
the shots are not close enough to see any hand shake or indeed sharpness or much detail in the bird - normally, (generally) if you are using a 500mm lens you would aim for a shutter speed over 1/500th sec …… indeed many would say if it's hand held you should be nearer 1/1000th sec ………… to start with I would use ISO between 400 and 800 - the widest fvalue that you have on the lens at 500mm - spot focus, spot exposure, (or sometimes small group exposure)………. if you are still then under 1/500th sec ……..push the ISO up as with birds close up it is better to be sharper than less noisy, again if you see what I mean ……… but maybe you can hold the lens very steady at 1/200th sec ……. but it will be more hit and miss as it is not only "camera shake" ………. many birds "move" all the time even when perched .. they "twitch"

Sounds like I'm part way there then... use spot focus but partial exposure. Noise is an issue above 400 on my camera but thanks for the tips and I will try and put them into practice. With regards to shutter speed I started off with trying above 1/500s but then I was recovering the images to much in PP and also then get comments as respected these are only guidelines etc etc.

You have some great potential there Bryn to position yourself either in the shed or down in amongst the shrubs by the fence at the bottom of the garden.Get yourself a 2x2 post set in the ground around 12 - 15ft away from where you will be,to this attach securely one of those large croccodile clips EXAMPLE You can then use that to grip a suitable small branch for your subjects to land on.You may have to re-position the feeder but it will be worth the effort.As an example
6340650884_2694a1d7e1_o_zpsctbebz20.jpg

You have some great potential there Bryn to position yourself either in the shed or down in amongst the shrubs by the fence at the bottom of the garden.Get yourself a 2x2 post set in the ground around 12 - 15ft away from where you will be,to this attach securely one of those large croccodile clips EXAMPLE You can then use that to grip a suitable small branch for your subjects to land on.You may have to re-position the feeder but it will be worth the effort.As an example
6340650884_2694a1d7e1_o_zpsctbebz20.jpg

Brilliant Idea shed is being changed some point this year see if I can get one with opening windows :)

If I'm by the shrubs then the background would be the house which won't be as pleasing as your example so think shed is best option.

How the garden is currently is... shot from patio door.

Garden
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Brilliant Idea shed is being changed some point this year see if I can get one with opening windows :)

If I'm by the shrubs then the background would be the house which won't be as pleasing as your example so think shed is best option.

How the garden is currently is... shot from patio door.

Garden
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Fair enough,I did not know what the exact layout was and how far your garden stretched in all directions.Obviously lighting will pay an important role,coming from above and behind is always good.We cannot control the light,so you may have to set your postion to suit.If you still have good light come summer first thing in the morning or last thing is better still, as it will be more evenly cast with no harshness to it.Think about what times of day you will be taking the shots,if you have the chance to do it as and when the light is good then that is great,you work as much of it as possible to your advantage.If you are out and about then you have to go with what is available at the time.Depending where you set all this up another idea would be think about a piece of screen as far away in the BG as possible,something like THIS It will obviously depend how you think it looks or more importantly the other half :D Position it so it is inline of you and the branch or branches you have set in place,it should help cut out any unwated messy backgrounds.It is all a matter of choice and how far you want to take it really.

I back onto woodlands/countryside so I'm in a similar position as you by the looks of things. What I have done is place some feeders around the garden with some perches close by for the birds to land onto. For my perches, I have used old branches and I had some copper tube spare from my working days and I have taped the branches to the tube and also used plastic ties to fasten. I have left the tube about 12 inches hanging over the end of the branch and I just push the branch/tube into the ground. With this, it is very easy to then move the perch around the garden.

An example of the perch can been seen here behind the dogs.

20150307-DSC_9691 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

This is a photo of coal tit on the top of the above perch.

20150219-DSC_6838 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

An example of another perch which has been work in progress. Close to this we have a feeder hanging of a holly tree

20150213-DSC_5569 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

This is the same perch as the one above but what we have done is added some old Tyvek roofing felt to the background and given it a coat of wood preserver we had lying around.

20150302-DSC_8819 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Last edited:
@u8myufo thanks for the advice... will look into implementing some of those ideas.

@Swanseajack thanks and given that its only a few branches it is reducing clutter which I think I need... I missed the shot of the LTT on the bush to the left of the bird feeder this arvo. :nailbiting: was distracted by some blue tits in the wood trees turned around and there he was on the bush time I got the camera round and focused it was gone :eggface:

Having a little trouble with Flickr at the moment...

Base F# f6.3 @ 500mm 1/1000s ISO 200 --- AV mode

IMG_2106
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Shot from the side of the house alley way under shelter so was hidden from sight.... Issue here I have it doesn't look sharp at all is this because of f6.3??? Almost looks like a painting.

Images taken at f7.1 seemed a lot sharper...

Example

ISO 400 1/2000s f7.1

IMG_2117
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Last edited:
Bryn

1/250th sec @ 500mm usually equals soft - Blue Tits are constantly on the move as well - just watch them they never keep their heads still

I waiting for my D750 to arrive - so you will probably get some sharpe replies til it arrives

second one must be a big crop

Last edited:
Bryn

1/250th sec @ 500mm usually equals soft - Blue Tits are constantly on the move as well - just watch them they never keep their heads still

I waiting for my D750 to arrive - so you will probably get some sharpe replies til it arrives

I understand that but what about the 1/1000s shot that you moaned about composition on lol :D

I understand that but what about the 1/1000s shot that you moaned about composition on lol :D

that's not sharpe either and it's noisy

have you got a bloody tripod?

get out there and take some more - how's the light?

Last edited:
exactly 1/1000s made no difference to 1/250s so something else... could it be the base f# ????

IMG_2118
by bthomas124, on Flickr

f7.1 seems to have got it sharper ???? No

Can't wait for your results on the 750 :D btw

The Sigma will be limited in IQ at distance - it's a zoom

how far away are you?

You may as well use f8 not f7.1 as f8 is a much nicer number

Rich will get that as "sharpe as a pin" for you!!!

Last edited:
The Sigma will be limited in IQ at distance - it's a zoom

how far away are you?

You may as well use f8 not f7.1 as f8 is a much nicer number

Ok for the Blue Tit... about 20ft ish and chaffinch 40-50ft if not more ... was on top of the very tall trees and I was at very bottom of garden

Ok for the Blue Tit... about 20ft ish and chaffinch 40-50ft if not more ... was on top of the very tall trees and I was at very bottom of garden

well what do you expect - put a blanket over your head with three holes in and creep up gradually on them

or get down to your nearest hide where they can be 6 to 12 foot away from you

Last edited:
well what do you expect - put a blanket over your head with three holes in and creep up gradually on them

Sorry don't follow the chaffinch is further away so smaller in frame but is a lot sharper than the blue tit larger in frame which is close, don't understand your point at all.

Plus I'm gonna win wildlife photographer of the year with this :D

IMG_2128
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Last edited:
the feather detail on the Blue Finch is greater and it would have been sharper had you or the bird kept still even at 1/1000th sec ……. the image is blurred - so that says OOF or movement

The Chaffinch may appear sharper in outline as it at 1/2000th sec - and farer away - but look at the difference in feather detail albeit that the Blue Tit is blurred, OOF, or has movement

Sorry don't follow the chaffinch is further away so smaller in frame but is a lot sharper than the blue tit larger in frame which is close, don't understand your point at all.

Plus I'm gonna win wildlife photographer of the year with this :D

IMG_2128
by bthomas124, on Flickr

at least your brickwork doesn't need pointing - I've seen some really bad brickwork in my time testing the sharpness of lenses

I'm not sure there anything sharpe in that image 400mm at 1/100sec doesn't work

Last edited:
I'm not sure there anything sharpe in that image 400mm at 1/100sec doesn't work ……...can somebody else tell him whilst I get Jeremy Clarkson round to beat up the UPS guy when he arrives for being late

Right, I've had a good look at them now. My advice....................................

stick to Macro:exit::D:D

Right, I've had a good look at them now. My advice....................................

stick to Macro:exit::D:D

Lol... I waited all day for that response. :D

Watch this space lots more birdy shots to come. :ROFLMAO:

I dont know if it's possible for you, but I have the tripod set up at back door and shoot through the glass (due to arm & hand disabilities I couldn't hand hold my 300mm f4). I have bought a proper squeege and I wash the window almost daily with soapy water and vinegar using a car sponge and squeege the soapy water off.

What I have found is that the birds are getting used to the sound of the camera and my movements and aern't so flightly when I go into the garden, I can get quiet close before they fly off. It maybe a option for you to try this using your tripod.. As the weather gets warmer I will then set tripod up in garden and hopefully they will just let me take photos. Or I will use the patio doors by opening. Could you set up some perches near the current feeder to try?

For food on the perches I have used some cheese as recomended by @dinners for the LTT and I also use some crunchy peanut butter. The small birds seem to love both feeds, plus they get there mixed feed from the hanging feeders.

The question is, will we see some sharp shots from you when it does? :D

Back