Gary's 365 - Feelings & Emotions (ended early)

2680077598_f9d930bf7c_o.jpg

Boy oh boy, I am in a world of sh*t right now. You know the saying, "you made your bed, now lie in it"? Well I have somehow managed to build myself a bed from old and volatile dynamite, and I’m being forced to go for a marathon sleep in it. There is a gun pointing at my head, forcing me to participate in an action I don’t feel I can participate in, and all I am able to do, is go along for the ride. A ride on a nuclear powered rocket – which is on the verge of exploding. I hope I can work my way through the fallout in my head afterwards, because just now, I have no idea how I am going to deal with this. It’s just one of those situations which needs taken care of, but you wish you could postpone for an eternity rather than face up to the reality of it all.

18 minutes and counting. I feel sick, I don’t want to eat, I just want to run home and shut my front door. I need to escape this feeling of impending doom, its driving me up the ****ing wall, and I am trapped in this damn office with its suffocatingly thick atmosphere. This is no good, and I can already feel this entry turning into a stupid over the top rant.

I have no idea who or what to blame for the current situation. I suspect a huge number of factors have all led me to this point, and there is no going back, regardless of how hard I wish I could. People’s attitudes, the climate of fear in the financial sector, the politics that run through I guess a lot of small organisations, all of it has accumulated to this current situation and I am now trapped having to take part in a process I would rather be a million miles away from.

If I can say anything, anything at all, I guess it would be sorry, from the bottom of my heart. People do not realise how tough it is to sit on the opposite side of the table at times, being forced to do things which you really wish you could avoid. Being forced to participate in a process designed to humiliate and distress those on the receiving end. Being forced to take someone’s life, and snap it in two, before washing your hands of the situation. Just as a surgeon would wash his hands, after tearing his patient to shreds as they lay dying on his operating table.

I only have 3 minutes left, and I am now struggling to continue with this. I am going to leave this entry for the time being, and I hope tomorrows is on a cheerier note.

Today, I feel scared, nervous and anxious. I wish I could run for the exit, instead of pushing people through it.

Gary.

Its funny, I dont really frequent TP anymore, but to me, it seems that these daily photo blogs have become a tad self indulgent and more about words than pictures.

Not being one to court controversy, just as ever, saying what I see which may offend some. Sorry.

Are you setting up the text before you take the images?

Gary, hope you are enjoying your D3 - its a great camera.

its called feelings and emotions...what were you expecting there to be here?

365's are more of a photo blog, you expect there to be an explanation of the shot of the day. Gary's are very personal but IMHO that elevates his 365 to something rather outstanding.

Other pictures are shared elsewhere in a more conventional manner.

what the **** is that above then?

365's are more of a photo blog, you expect there to be an explanation of the shot of the day. Gary's are very personal but IMHO that elevates his 365 to something rather outstanding.

Other pictures are shared elsewhere in a more conventional manner.

Aha - I see. No offence intended. I thought these were conventional one image a day type things to be honest.

its called feelings and emotions...what were you expecting there to be here?

That seems like a silly response. This is after all a photography not a writers forum. A picture says 1,000 words as they say. Shouldn't people expect to see the picture that says 1,000 words not the actual 1,000 words? :p Nothing against Gary's work there, I'm just get what Diego is saying. Gary's is more "This is a photo, and heres the 1,000 words that makes it clear." :)

and? are there specific rules saying there there is to be a photograph and a description no more than 50 words? no

That seems like a silly response. This is after all a photography not a writers forum. A picture says 1,000 words as they say. Shouldn't people expect to see the picture that says 1,000 words not the actual 1,000 words? :p Nothing against Gary's work there, I'm just get what Diego is saying. Gary's is more "This is a photo, and heres the 1,000 words that makes it clear." :)

Yes, had I been braver, I would have linked to www.talkwriting.com :LOL:

:LOL: Created a debate :)!!! Just in, sorry for lack of replies.

Diego, Pete, take your concerns on board, and thanks for raising. I guess you are both right to an extent, but on the flip side, my 365 was setup with a specific focus on the way I feel, my emotions of the day, etc. And a lot of the time, I write the text first and then grab a photo to suit, and other times, I see and capture an image which makes me feel a certain way.

Regardless of which way I do it, I always seem able to rant more so than not. If its a problem, you can obviously ignore it. I enjoy sharing why I took a photo and what it means to me, no harm I hope? :)

Gary.

and? are there specific rules saying there there is to be a photograph and a description no more than 50 words? no

When was the last time you went to a gallery and read an essay to understand the photo? I often write a bit about my photos on my daily photoblog, but I don't write an essay because its a "photo" blog. The photo should say what it says. It should tell the story. A photo of a door is a photo of a door, but then you have to read the essay. I think its bloody obvious that this is a photography forum and that we should be concentrating on the photography more than anything. This isn't Myspace or a random blog. Props to Gary for saying what he says as I've struggled with the issue of how open to be but to say that its silly to expect a photo in the photo sharing thread is just insanely stupid in itself. Surely you can get the point Diego was going for? The posts are writing heavy, focused more so on the words than the photography which he thought seemed a little odd for a photography forum.

you dont have to read it but if it makes him feel better writing it down then leave him be for **** sake.

When was the last time you went to a gallery and read an essay to understand the photo? I often write a bit about my photos on my daily photoblog, but I don't write an essay because its a "photo" blog. The photo should say what it says. It should tell the story. A photo of a door is a photo of a door, but then you have to read the essay. I think its bloody obvious that this is a photography forum and that we should be concentrating on the photography more than anything. This isn't Myspace or a random blog. Props to Gary for saying what he says as I've struggled with the issue of how open to be but to say that its silly to expect a photo in the photo sharing thread is just insanely stupid in itself. Surely you can get the point Diego was going for? The posts are writing heavy, focused more so on the words than the photography which he thought seemed a little odd for a photography forum.

I'm going to make my next one extra long, just for you :D

Not hiding from what you say, if you see my "balance" post, I picked up on this way before either of you mentioned it. I already raised it as an issue, the text versus the photo, and the fact that I unable to get a balance.

Here it is again:
"I am attempting an early entry today, which should allow some forced sleep this evening!. I have no idea what I want to write about, yet. Also, I have no picture. Defeats the purpose a little as my intention when starting this was to take a photo every day representing how I felt at time of photo. Some days it seems, I take a photo representing the text, which in turn represents what I feel. Similar, but still different. The focus becomes the text, and the image plays second fiddle to words on a page."

It's a 365 though, and it seems par for the course to break the rules! :)

Gary.

So Anyway....................
How did the event go...are you left with guilt,sadness.anger?

Better than I thought, it did not come as a suprise to anyone involved, which confused me! :)

Gary.

you dont have to read it but if it makes him feel better writing it down then leave him be for **** sake.

No fighting :D I don't mind them having their say. It's a valid point, one which i will take on board, but I wont allow it to change my 365 - as I said, no rules on this, I write and photo what I feel, if it takes 10,000 words to get it across, so be it.

Gary.

Oh c'mon. Its hardly like anyone's cooked his kittens and had them with a fine wine :p If Gary can write down his thoughts and feelings to make him feel better, can't others? Leave me be for a bunch of stars sake!

Its his thread, he can run with it how he wants and I've already said kudos to the guy for being so open. :)

Oh c'mon. Its hardly like anyone's cooked his kittens and had them with a fine wine :p If Gary can write down his thoughts and feelings to make him feel better, can't others? Leave me be for a bunch of stars sake!

Its his thread, he can run with it how he wants and I've already said kudos to the guy for being so open. :)

On that note, can we all have a group hug :D

Gary.

*hugsies* :D I've seen many things with photography and I'm not going to start saying what can and can't be done, even if it seems like thats what I was doing :) I've seen photos printed onto grass, onto dresses, onto walls and taken with all manor of objects.

I'm taking it that you had redundancies Gary... Always hard no matter what side of the desk you are on, at least it is done now!

I think todays photo is a strong match for your words, and I knew what the text would be before reading it - but I enjoyed reading it nevertheless, it explained a lot of the emotion behind the picture!

I just got back from Ikea in Croydon, even at midnight that place is heaving!!!

I'm taking it that you had redundancies Gary... Always hard no matter what side of the desk you are on, at least it is done now!

I think todays photo is a strong match for your words, and I knew what the text would be before reading it - but I enjoyed reading it nevertheless, it explained a lot of the emotion behind the picture!

I just got back from Ikea in Croydon, even at midnight that place is heaving!!!

Wow, Ikea is open at mignight??? Cool! I wonder if the EDI store is open at mignight...

Great car park, awesome for donuts! :D

Gary.

I have to agree what Gary says again though on the above points that Pete and Deigo have said. (and no pete, its not just because i want to argue :p)

Gary really needs to think about is writing because for me, its very professonal. His 365 is correctly titled and although he writes the text before the picture is taken, you cannot fault him on the pictures.

A picture should tell a thousend words and i feel his does, i only read the text because it intrege's(Spelling?) me to his thoughts on this exact day.

I beleive all IKEA's are open until midnight, Warrington's is! Although the security gaurds do not like modified cars entering the car park at night, even if your shopping!!! F*****'s!

The posts are very text heavy, and I feel I don't really understand them unless I read the essay of writing underneath.
This IS a photography forum, and I would expect to see photos, or at least photography related banter.

On the flip side, I find reading Gary's essays intriguing. They suit the photo perfectly more often than not. Some of them I have found sickening, some I've found over the top, but all of them have evoked a reaction.
Can't fault it Gary. This is your 365 and you do it how you want.

Where's todays one?

Will be up shortly, then that will be them all until I get back from Blackpool on Wednesday! At which point, I will do a catchup using the pics taken each day...

Gary.

well enjoy your time dude, if your bored - shout, we're only down the M6 lol

2683748566_f86be72662_o.jpg

Been very excited all day!! Picked up my new campervan this morning, and I have been desperately trying to prepare for our first outing in it, 3 days at a holiday park down south. We have packed everything required for our "holiday", carried out all the usual last minute checks, and all that is left is a five or six hours kip before we hit the open road!

It all sounds very romantic, but the reality of it is, I am stressed to cracking point. I can't work the cooker or the sink, I have no idea how comfy a sleep we are going to have, and I am slightly worried about how thirsty a 2.5 automatic diesel could transpire to be. I also have a 10 year old to amuse for several hours of driving, and my wife to keep calm - which is next to impossible due to her extreme hatred of the way I handle any form of transport. Its a recipe for disaster, but I am so desperate for it to be enjoyable for all of us...

Because if this turns into a catostrophic few days, my holiday plans for later in the year will be left in tatters. I have an extreme fear of flying, and having the campervan has allowed me to convince my wife to come on a road trip to Europe, however, on the basis that she enjoys this trip.

Bad trip or not though, holidays and family trips down south are not the only reason I bought it. Two many times I have buggered off for an overnight in the scenic, only to break my back trying to catch a few hours shuteye before waking for a sunrise next to a scottish loch. The last time was so difficult, that I refused to do it again. I now have the transport I need to travel in comfort, with all my gear - 6 beds, cooker, and other handy bits and bobs. I have a few pals who are keen on these photo trips too. I feel I will now be in a position to widen my photographic and social opportunities hugely, and I hope, with some practice, the trips will be worth it based on the photos I capture. Whether my photos justify the trips or not, I will without a doubt be seeing much more of the UK, and hopefully making lots of new friends along the way, so the purchase can only be a good thing.

I look forward to many journeys I now have in front of me, Today I feel adventurous!

Gary.
PS - no more entry's until I return, I will however do an entry each day, but I guess they will be a lot shorter due to time constraints.

PPS - Absolutely shattered, sorry for the sh*t text!

Have a great time dude, you'll love exploring Europe...
Can't wait to see some of your shots upon return!

Kind regards

Paul

Have a great time, you'll enjoy the campervan, I used to tow a caravan so I know the hassles trying to remember everything to take with you then stowing it all away properly. In the campervan the best part is when some farts and theres no escape. Who gets the blame. :LOL::D

My son just bought a old '85 VW campervan a few weeks ago, his first outing with it was T in The Park, he's hooked on it now.

Mind bring me back a stick of rock.:)

Have a great time, you'll enjoy the campervan, I used to tow a caravan so I know the hassles trying to remember everything to take with you then stowing it all away properly. In the campervan the best part is when some farts and theres no escape. Who gets the blame. :LOL::D

My son just bought a old '85 VW campervan a few weeks ago, his first outing with it was T in The Park, he's hooked on it now.

Mind bring me back a stick of rock.:)

:LOL: VW's, still the best campers :D I would love one, but for a pristine model, you are looking at £20K!!!

Gary.

Ooooo I'm jealous you've got a campervan! I, too, cannot bear the thought of being cooped up in a metal tube 20,000 feet up in the sky. It sends a shiver down my doobries knowing that I'll be speeding along at 800 mph in thin air. Nope, I'm keeping my feet on terra firma for as long as I am living and breathing. Mind you, if God wanted us to fly, he would've given us wings.
My girlfriend's got her very own holiday flat in the countryside of Northern Italy and from what I've seen via her holiday snaps it looks absolutely stunning. It's a real bummer as I cannot ever afford a campervan, in fact I can just barely keep up with the running cost of my S-reg Skoda Felicia! I guess that's what happens when my lass is a HR worker for Hackney District Council and I'm just a humble tomato picker based in the middle of the Kent countryside.
I could always rent a van, though.
Anyway, Gary, have a great break and look forward to reading up some more of your stuff when you get back. :)

Yayy for camper vans. I had mine built for me because I couldn't find "The one" that I wanted. So I bought a van and I designed it and spec'd it and had it built. I've had it for four years now and I love it. I've been to Glencoe when it's been minus seven deg and been as warm as toast. I've woken up in Glencoe next to Loch Leven, at the top end of Ullswater (Woke up, got wrapped up, went out and took dawn pics, got back into bed)........ I love it and I don't get away often enough!

Have fun :)

Seems we're on the subject of campervans while Garys away. Here's mine
2686779144_283ea85079_o.jpg

It's brilliant, but went away in it this morning, got to the camp site which was rubbish and to top it all - it was raining, so we came back to sunny Pembrokeshire. What a waste of a day 200 miles and wished we had stayed home.:thumbsdown:

Back