Getty/ Free Pics

It looks like they are sticking images in an iframe so they always control the hosting of the image and it can be embedded in non commercial web pages. It says it give credit to the photographer - no mention of payment. I think it's a case of if you can't beat them, join them.

i can only speck for myself and of my dealings with the MoL, thay have always paid me the fee for on line useage.
what i would also say is that they dont seem to give the championship and below as much coverage as last season this i guess is down to cost. [there seems to be more from the spanish leagues etc]
with regards for free or sh*t but free as some people say, my understanding is that the big agencies getty AI etc recive a fee and they {the Mail in this case} have access to each agencies pictures but will stand corrected on that last point.

MOL have reduced that Champ coverage by at least 80% this season.

No Live Update and only about 6 reports from the matches on a Saturday.

There is also a less in the papers as well. Last week I went to the Forest vs Fulham game. 8 goals, Forest top of the table, Fulham bottom and Magath on the ropes.

Neither The Sun nor The Star used a photo.

Getty and AI have deals where they are paid a set fee per month and the papers/MOL then have access to their portfolio of images. It looks like REX and BPI have decided that if they can't beat them, they will join them.

If you look at the MOL reports you will see a high proportion of images are now from REX and BPI. REX by the looks of it are doing deals with some smaller agencies.

MOL now gets cheaper images and from more angles. Although Getty don't have 3 photographers at all games, they do at quite a few.

MOL and the papers can also use the REX and BPI deals to negotiate with Getty.

I have decided that I wont travel any distance on spec anymore, as the reward for the effort does not stack up. If I don't have any commissioned games then I can get to Rotherham, Barnesley, Doncaster and Sheffield within 1/2 an hour.

getty images dont get everyhting though.. the sun newspaper seem to pick and choose.. I got published a few times where getty images are at the same game.. including last saturday .. my point being.. not to show off but to say its not a forgone conclusion that if getty are there then you have no chance which is what a lot of people think...

I agree Tony and I am not saying that anyone can't get published.

My best usage last season in the papers was from when I had Getty sitting to my left.

My best usage last season in the papers was from when I had Getty sitting to my left.

It might (probably is) childish of me.. but theres a certain amount of satisfaction to be gained when you (one man band) get published over the bigger agencies.. feels nice.... and I don't care who gets in a flap about that comment :)

Precisely it does add to the satisfaction

When i shot RL i found the most regular showing in the Nationals came from the Star, probably about 75% of stuff i ever sent to Nationals went in the Star, then the Mail, Metro and Guardian taking up 20% and the other 5% between the rest, few and far between for the rest though.

To be fair though, i probably only bothered with Nationals when i could be arsed or when there weren't many others there and i sat at the right end, maybe 1 in every 4 games.

When i shot RL i found the most regular showing in the Nationals came from the Star, probably about 75% of stuff i ever sent to Nationals went in the Star, then the Mail, Metro and Guardian

90% of my nationals are in the Sun ...

The Sun seems to be my main hit this season Tony!
Ta Sun if your monotoring :),
I don't think it's a coinsidence TBH rather a very "acceptable" realisation of none Large agencies photos are just as good :)

Last season I had stuff used MOL, The Star and The Sun mainly. This season its MoL (not as much granted), The Sun and The Mirror
Mainly Championship and League Two with papers and PL with MoL. with Getty/AI at games as well

Doesn't seem to be a real trend to it

Well my two mates in London share the back page of The Star today.

Main one a cele from the Palace Game last night and the other a pic from the Southampton vs Arsenal game the nigh before.

Congtas all round :)

The way the Premier league is going this season theres going to be more and more coverage.
Which means less coverage of everything else. I read the MOL alot and ive noticed alot for
different agencies being used. Think this goes to show that if you have the right image
that no one else has, it will be used. So sitting next to Getty etc is a bit pointless.

The way the Premier league is going this season theres going to be more and more coverage.
Which means less coverage of everything else. I read the MOL alot and ive noticed alot for
different agencies being used. Think this goes to show that if you have the right image
that no one else has, it will be used. So sitting next to Getty etc is a bit pointless.

But theres hardly any money to be made from MOL ..I always send but I see those as a bit of a bonus use... if thats all there is the chance of a pic or two on there then no point for me ..

Back