Glasgow fine art

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I've been in the city for a while now and have really perfected my vision and style. Here are the masterpieces for your kind appraisal

1. Commonwealth games playground ready to open its doors
20140427-DTR_0040.jpg

2. Welcome is not the word I would personally use here
20140427-DTR_0019.jpg

3. Green city
20140427-DTR_0043.jpg

4. There are some limits here...
20140427-DTR_0052.jpg

5. Business open as usual... as long as it is a charity shop
20140427-DTR_0025.jpg

edit: and the jewel of the crown - the infamous Glasgow tyre burning event from a couple days ago:

:) :LOL: :LOL: :exit:

Last edited:
I like the dull, earthy colours in the first one, but it looks hastily composed. I think it's possibly that I'd see the padlocks and chains as an important part of the theme but they're almost shoved from the shot. I'd have given them more prominence, maybe higher in the frame and over to the right. The building and tree poking in from the left are a bit of a distraction from the barren nature of the scene beyond the gate. Could maybe do with a touch more contrast too.

The rest don't really do anything at all for me. #3 is overexposed to no great effect. #4 is a bit cluttered, and you can't read the sign which I'm guessing ties into the title.

Very good. Not quite your Bristol sets though :p

I know. I will perfect them by the end of the year. :) I am sketching out the Project blade and Knife street shoots already. :exit:

I know. I will perfect them by the end of the year. :) I am sketching out the Project blade and Knife street shoots already. :exit:
I've always thought living in Swindon was just terrible, but with this thread you may have swayed me. I guess at least you have the likes of Glencoe relatively close.

I've always thought living in Swindon was just terrible, but with this thread you may have swayed me. I guess at least you have the likes of Glencoe relatively close.

Glasgow v. Edinburgh contrast is really amazing. You are right about Glencoe - fascinating place, although it is not easy to get the weather right. I will be moving to one of the towns north of Glasgow in a couple months so it will make it a lot easier to go out.

Glasgow v. Edinburgh contrast is really amazing. You are right about Glencoe - fascinating place, although it is not easy to get the weather right. I will be moving to one of the towns north of Glasgow in a couple months so it will make it a lot easier to go out.
Never been to Glasgow, but have been to Edinburgh. Lovely place and seems very cultured, easy to see why that's the capital, rather than Glasgow.
Being out of there can only be a good thing, and being closer to the beauty of Scotland is ideal.

Never been to Glasgow, but have been to Edinburgh. Lovely place and seems very cultured, easy to see why that's the capital, rather than Glasgow.
Being out of there can only be a good thing, and being closer to the beauty of Scotland is ideal.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Glasgow. I lived up there for a number of years and have family and friends in the city and it's fine. It's exactly the same as any other city, nice areas and run down areas. The city centre, merchant city and west end are beautiful. There's a huge wealth of culture and cultural history, it's has a massive creative community, it's the art & media capital of Scotland. There's also a world class academic & scientific community. It's a thriving, confident, modern city. I'll move back there in a second if a good work opportunity comes up.
Its bad reputation is built around a crude mid-20th century media stereotype. I have never once felt threatened in Glasgow, certainly no more than in any other city. Don't believe the nonsense about Glasgow being "dangerous".

I wouldn't venture into Easterhouse or Castlemilk, but then again I wouldn't venture into Sighthill or Wester Hales in Edinburgh.

Last edited:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Glasgow. I lived up there for a number of years and have family and friends in the city and it's fine. It's exactly the same as any other city, nice areas and run down areas. The city centre, merchant city and west end are beautiful.
Its bad reputation is built around a crude mid-20th century media stereotype. I have never once felt threatened in Glasgow, certainly no more than in any other city.

I wouldn't venture into Easterhouse or Castlemilk, but then again I wouldn't venture into Sighthill or Wester Hales in Edinburgh.

Sorry if I offended, my comments were more in jest at the photos posted above and should definitely be taken with a pinch of salt. Having seen photos of other areas of the city it looks very nice!

Sorry if I offended, my comments were more in jest at the photos posted above and should definitely be taken with a pinch of salt. Having seen photos of other areas of the city it looks very nice!
I'm not offended. It just gets tiresome hearing the same old inaccurate stereotypes being thrown around, and as an ex-resident I feel a responsibility to point out that they're nonsense. Glasgow is a fantastic city.

I'm not offended. It just gets tiresome hearing the same old inaccurate stereotypes being thrown around, and as an ex-resident I feel a responsibility to point out that they're nonsense. Glasgow is a fantastic city.

I live near by and have done most of my life and bar the Clyde Front (SECC area which is great) and bits of the west end (Maryhill isn't far), it is a proper sh*t hole. If I didn't work in the city I'd avoid it in the way I'd avoid a whore infested with HIV, syphilis and herpes. Every road route in, every rail route in takes you past endless schemes and "social housing" including towerblocks. I cannot wait to get away.

I sense that is the impression the OP is trying to give.

I live near by and have done most of my life and bar the Clyde Front (SECC area which is great) and bits of the west end (Maryhill isn't far), it is a proper sh*t hole. If I didn't work in the city I'd avoid it in the way I'd avoid a whore infested with HIV, syphilis and herpes. Every road route in, every rail route in takes you past endless schemes and "social housing" including towerblocks. I cannot wait to get away.

Ohhh this takes the biscuit! I was just messing around last night having some laugh (sorry if the humour didn't shine through brightly enough!). On the other hand everyone here would initially deny anything wrong about the city and then after a while everything starts to come out. You hear knife and park mentioned together at work at least once-twice a day... My experience is fairly neutral in terms of H&S but I do see lots of drug users and homeless about; and I can't say the architecture or the general feel is very welcoming. You do get used to it and just ignore it after a while... Good architecture bits? The botanic gardens, university building, Kelvingrove musem, one single street in the centre... Erskine bridge maybe. Thats about it.

Every road route in, every rail route in takes you past endless schemes and "social housing" including towerblocks. I cannot wait to get away.
Like every other city in the UK, then? Including Edinburgh.

As I said, I lived for a number of years in the centre of Glasgow (West End and for a period in Dennistoun), and explored most of the city. It is absolutely no different to any other city UK city I've lived in. There's lots and lots of great stuff going on. A thriving creative community, a thriving academic community. Beautiful, expansive and accessible green spaces in the centre of town (Glasgow Green, Kelvingrove Park, Kelvin Walkway, etc). The Merchant City is a bustling, cosmopolitan precinct with lots of great restaurants and fantastic, independent pubs crammed into a few city blocks.

Glasgow is no worse than any other city in the UK, and in lots of ways it's better than many of them. Of course it has its problems like everywhere else, but, like everywhere else, these are largely confined to areas you wouldn't bother visiting unless you had to.

As I said, I lived for a number of years in the centre of Glasgow (West End and for a period in Dennistoun), and explored most of the city. It is absolutely no different to any other city UK city I've lived in. There's lots and lots of great stuff going on. A thriving creative community, a thriving academic community. Beautiful, expansive and accessible green spaces in the centre of town (Glasgow Green, Kelvingrove Park, Kelvin Walkway, etc). The Merchant City is a bustling, cosmopolitan precinct with lots of great restaurants and fantastic, independent pubs crammed into a few city blocks.

Glasgow is no worse than any other city in the UK, and in lots of ways it's better than many of them. Of course it has its problems like everywhere else, but, like everywhere else, these are largely confined to areas you wouldn't bother visiting unless you had to.

My ex stayed in Toll Cross. I came round to see her and said, lets go the kebab shop, she said, no, cannae go there as it there was a shooting and the polis are there. Says it all...place was like Beiruit man, with all the junkies, crime etc. Proper riot.

Bar some of the city centre, some of the west, I think the place is an abomination. I am not saying Edinburgh is perfect, but the bits you wouldn't visit relative to the size of the city are much less than Glasgow. Bar a few ok bits, the vast bulk of Glasgow you wouldn't set foot in or want to set foot in. Most of Edinburgh you could set foot in.

Bar work, nothing keeps me there.

Last edited:

Don't get me wrong - I agree there are awful places everywhere - London, Nottingham, Manchester, B'ham and Coventry in particular. But as you consider Bath, Oxford or most of Edinburgh for example you realise things could be looking better. Glasgow has loads of space for development and improvement (e.g. West end river banks) but apparently no money or initiative or attitude? The best they do is build a couple of aluminium and concrete sheds. That is the real problem.

You know how much I hate the place. I just love with when locals try to defend it and say how great is is, it is a sess pit of despair and misery.

denial is the first step to admission of the problem. Not many people feel good about acknowledging to a stranger they live or work in rough area... I do think it's improved a lot with the fall of Rangers but lots more needs to be done

Last edited:
You know how much I hate the place. I just love with when locals try to defend it and say how great is is, it is a sess pit of despair and misery.
Nonsense. It's a demonstrably thriving and culturally rich city. There's poverty and despair, too, of course, like every other large urban area, but it's not unusually pervasive.

And to re-address your point about not being able to enter the city without seeing "social housing" - oh, the horror - if the sight of the poor and underprivileged really offends your eyes so much, the city can be entered via the A81, which takes you into the centre through Milngavie, Bearsden and Anniesland which is pretty much a middle-class safari.

Last edited:
the city can be entered via the A81, which takes you into the centre through Milngavie, Bearsden and Anniesland which is pretty much a middle-class safari.

the prices may be middle class, but the quality is not as far as I've seen at least in Anniesland. You pay about £900 all in for a single bed flat in an old stinky tenement building. That is London price range for a London style hole. They are just carefully rebranded slums. Hopefully Bearsden / Balloch or Dumbarton will be more like a more affordable family home residential area...

My ex stayed in Toll Cross. I came round to see her and said, lets go the kebab shop, she said, no, cannae go there as it there was a shooting and the polis are there. Says it all...place was like Beiruit man, with all the junkies, crime etc. Proper riot.

Bar some of the city centre, some of the west, I think the place is an abomination. I am not saying Edinburgh is perfect, but the bits you wouldn't visit relative to the size of the city are much less than Glasgow. Bar a few ok bits, the vast bulk of Glasgow you wouldn't set foot in or want to set foot in. Most of Edinburgh you could set foot in.

Bar work, nothing keeps me there.
Shootings in Glasgow are almost entirely inter-gang affairs mostly confined to particular areas in the East of the city, and even then they are comparatively rare in UK terms.

I disagree that Edinburgh is better too, even relative to its size. There are very many bad areas in Edinburgh - Wester Hales, Niddrie, Sighthill, Saughton, Stenhouse etc. I've rarely seen any trouble in Glasgow, and have never been caught up in any trouble or ever felt unusually threatened. I'm sure I could find trouble if I looked for it, but it's not a city where you have to be any more cautious than in any other Western European urbanisation.

Greater Glasgow also hosts the top four state schools in Scotland and five in the top ten. What a sh1thole, eh?

Last edited:
Nonsense. It's a demonstrably thriving and culturally rich city. There's poverty and despair, too, of course, like every other large urban area, but it's not unusually pervasive.

And to re-address your point about not being able to enter the city without seeing "social housing" - oh, the horror - if the sight of the poor and underprivileged really offends your eyes so much, the city can be entered via the A81, which takes you into the centre through Milngavie, Bearsden and Anniesland which is pretty much a middle-class safari.

There is that classy bit at Anniesland cross....

It is a sess pit, admit it. Culturally deep fried mars bars, sluts fueled on beer and football do not make to me thriving and cultural richness. Other than Marseilles and Birmingham, I've never seen or experienced such a sad sorry place.

I work in the centre of the town, work a late shift, and walking down Suchiehall street if football is on, taking trains around the place, when football is on...seriously, it is not nice. I can admit the city is really bad, I don't see the point in not admitting there is a serious problem with the place.

Last edited:
There is that classy bit at Anniesland cross....

It is a sess pit, admit it. Culturally deep fried mars bars, sluts fueled on beer and football do not make to me thriving and cultural richness. Other than Marseilles and Birmingham, I've never seen or experienced such a sad sorry place.

The bit where Morrisons is? Oh that place is proper... betting shops and rough bars area. I was pretty bad making the right turn at the right place and just ended up walking through the whole lot to buy some snacks (camera gear on the back). I had some really nasty looks from the local fauna, but probably I am a bit too tall for these kittens.

Birmingham can be quite awful in isolated areas. I had stones thrown at me by some ethnic 5 year old kids in the playground. Not nice. It must have been muslim-only area apparently! Apart from that the centre and areas on the suburbs and Edgbaston are now very nice. Just avoid the middle ring around the centre like a plague.

I've heard some cracking stories about Marseilles. I planned to go there a couple years ago, but rerouted to Switzerland instead (thanks to free Swiss motorway sticker in a rental car :) ). Things like strong smell of urine in the back streets in the midday sun, rotting fish, and freshly landed arab jihadists with knives... Yeah, it can be a heck lot worse than Glasgow and London put together.

Last edited:
The bit where Morrisons is? Oh that place is proper... betting shops and rough bars area. I was pretty bad making the right turn at the right place and just ended up walking through the whole lot to buy some snacks (camera gear on the back). I had some really nasty looks from the local fauna, but probably I am a bit too tall for these kittens.

Aye, that is it, proper dump. Seriously, other than the few delights in the west end and the river front I showed you down at the SECC there is nothing to like about the place.

Even Manchester is a nicer, a lot nicer. Newcastle is too. They did a better job of redeveloping their water front than us. A few chain hotels and offices do not make a proper redevelopment. Newcastle did that right down at the Quayside, we could have done more to bring tourism and people to that area.

Aye, that is it, proper dump. Seriously, other than the few delights in the west end and the river front I showed you down at the SECC there is nothing to like about the place.

Even Manchester is a nicer, a lot nicer. Newcastle is too. They did a better job of redeveloping their water front than us. A few chain hotels and offices do not make a proper redevelopment. Newcastle did that right down at the Quayside, we could have done more to bring tourism and people to that area.

Yes, I just don't get it. The area in the first shot and the massive land just west of transport museum could be a prime location for homes, restaurants and hotels. It just lies derelict. WTF?!

P.S. When are the demolitions of Red Road towers? I do hope they have proper plans for redevelopment there.

"Deep fried mars bars". Spare me.

I've never seen a single deep fried mars bar for sale any time I have lived in or been to Scotland, never mind Glasgow.
I'm sure the odd place does them as a joke but this idea that deep fried mars bars are a "thing" in Scotland is abject nonsense.

I live in Glasgow

my take on things are this: there is serious violence and problems here, but it's confined to certain areas- the city centre and west end are well policed, and relatively trouble free zones

the violence is between consenting citizens- football thugs, gangs, secular/religious tiffs etc, if you don't want to be involved you're generally left alone- at least in the city centre/merchant city/west end. Go north, south or east and expect trouble...

celtic and rangers folk are too busy fighting each other to fight other people- hence I actually feel safe here, (but I live in an area where the street outside is lined with Porsche's...), where i'm from in wolverhampton (which is like birmingham without the potential...), the city centre is the danger zone- getting off the train station is stepping into the worst part of town (the area where people get shot etc)
and the violence is less gang related and more towards 'unconsenting citizens'- i've been mugged 4 times in wolverhampton, in the city centre, i've been started on for no reason, i've been dragged into an alleyway in broad daylight and kicked in for my wallet, in Glasgow I feel safe walking round at night- I work for nightclubs so I walk home every night at 3am, but that being said that's the time I like to take out the fuji and add to my collection of 'absolute mince' ha. You see some sights but it's never dangerous

glasgow has serious serious issues, but the great thing is that it's all contained pretty well as there's a f*****g moat around the city and the police guard the bridges ha!

"Deep fried mars bars". Spare me.

I've never seen a single deep fried mars bar for sale any time I have lived in or been to Scotland, never mind Glasgow.
I'm sure the odd place does them as a joke but this idea that deep fried mars bars are a "thing" in Scotland is abject nonsense.

deep fried mars bars are actually nice- kings cafe on sauchihall sell them

that being said I eat golden syrup straight off the spoon...

This has to be done once :) and send pics to Alamy

Haggis was actually pretty nice; good job I looked up ingredients only a few days later!

A fair few innocents get caught up in these tiffs and the level of rowdiness on trains, public transport is like no other city I have been in. I do not feel that safe in Glasgow, even in the west you can get the drug crazed bams loitering around.

I guess you all know I hate the place...

Yes, I just don't get it. The area in the first shot and the massive land just west of transport museum could be a prime location for homes, restaurants and hotels. It just lies derelict. WTF?!

P.S. When are the demolitions of Red Road towers? I do hope they have proper plans for redevelopment there.

why does every patch of land need to be developed? why can't it just lay dormant until they have something to do with it

anyway 2 of the red road flats have been knocked down already, not sure when the others are to come down but the first demolition was great
[URL='http://payload82.cargocollective.com/1/7/248174/3954562/_0124099-Edit-2-Edit.jpg']_0124099-Edit-2-Edit.jpg[/URL]

why does every patch of land need to be developed? why can't it just lay dormant until they have something to do with it

anyway 2 of the red road flats have been knocked down already, not sure when the others are to come down but the first demolition was great
_0124099-Edit-2-Edit.jpg

Jealous of that pic :)

I thought development was simply making the best use of expensive (!) land and making the place look good. This on the other hand creates the rough feeling that nobody wants

I live in Glasgow

my take on things are this: there is serious violence and problems here, but it's confined to certain areas- the city centre and west end are well policed, and relatively trouble free zones

the violence is between consenting citizens- football thugs, gangs, secular/religious tiffs etc, if you don't want to be involved you're generally left alone- at least in the city centre/merchant city/west end. Go north, south or east and expect trouble...

celtic and rangers folk are too busy fighting each other to fight other people- hence I actually feel safe here, (but I live in an area where the street outside is lined with Porsche's...), where i'm from in wolverhampton (which is like birmingham without the potential...), the city centre is the danger zone- getting off the train station is stepping into the worst part of town (the area where people get shot etc)
and the violence is less gang related and more towards 'unconsenting citizens'- i've been mugged 4 times in wolverhampton, in the city centre, i've been started on for no reason, i've been dragged into an alleyway in broad daylight and kicked in for my wallet, in Glasgow I feel safe walking round at night- I work for nightclubs so I walk home every night at 3am, but that being said that's the time I like to take out the fuji and add to my collection of 'absolute mince' ha. You see some sights but it's never dangerous

glasgow has serious serious issues, but the great thing is that it's all contained pretty well as there's a f*****g moat around the city and the police guard the bridges ha!
Largely my experience. Trouble is very easy to avoid. I've never felt particularly unsafe in Glasgow and I actually feel safer there than in many other urban parts of the UK. Glasgow is predictable. The bad parts are bad, but you don't go visiting bad parts, and the good parts are good.
Most violence is gang or football related, confined to known areas and they largely leave the uninvolved alone.

that being said I eat golden syrup straight off the spoon...
I've never encountered one.

Edit: actually, that's a lie...I saw one on the desert menu in a reasonably classy Merchant City restaurant once (Gandolfi?), I assume for a bit of quirky fun

Last edited:
I am sitting here laughing at these comments. I live 10 miles from Glasgow and parts of it are a mess. I'm under no illusions that some bits are best avoided but having said that i've been out in Glasgow hundreds of times and not seen anything to put me off or been involved in trouble myself. Rangers v Celtic games might be different and when i was at Uni i worked in Bridgeton and at Parkhead for William Hill so i know both of these areas well and wouldn't fancy being out a walk myself in any of them BUT i played football down in Liverpool when i was smaller and the place is a hell hole well parts of it. I have no doubt that Glasgow is just like most big cities in the UK. Some s***ty bits and some nice bits, some idiots and some people who would rather not be involved. Religion is the only thing that seperates Glasgow from the rest of the cities and i truly believe as someone who spent two years attending Canniesburn plastic surgery hospital due to being a 'Catholic' (in my home town and not Glasgow) that it is not any more dangerous than say Edinburgh or London. I have yet to read of any youths chasing each other into train stations and stabbing each other to death in Glasgow but i remember quite clearly reading this about London. Just think of the recent headlines about the paedophile ring in Westminster eh? I bet the kids in Glasgow were not touched by these evil rich bastards. It's not just people in poverty that break the law. They are just not offered protection by it !!

P.S I have never seen anyone eat a deep fried mars bar either or seen one in any shop menu.

Last edited:
A fair few innocents get caught up in these tiffs and the level of rowdiness on trains, public transport is like no other city I have been in. I do not feel that safe in Glasgow, even in the west you can get the drug crazed bams loitering around.

I'm inclined to disagree with you.

I'm not suggesting Glasgow is trouble free - but such is the nature of things I don't regard it as being any worse than say London or Birmingham or Portsmouth or Liverpool or Nottingham or Cardiff or Plymouth or Bristol. There are variations in character or culture in terms of the way problems in different cities manifest themselves. Sectarianism is an example of one that applies to Glasgow - but it's not what it was 40 years ago.

One specific problem that Glasgow has is that its boundaries impact its statistics - which are particularly cruel because the city itself stands out from its close suburbs which are in diffferent councils - were the city and its immediate suburbs bound together properly as one then its problems would be diluted instead of being so concentrated.

Haha I live in Govanhill and the first time a neighbour asked me in as a guest he took an axe out to show me " how a' deal wae intruders" the muppet didn't bank on my sober response where he was promptly told to get a bigger axe if he wanted to impress or intimidate me. Ethnically diverse would be the PC term for the area sh;/hole would be a more apt description. Also came close to being assaulted while taking my six yr old daughter to a panto in a west end theatre by a bunch of east end inebriates. Not being a shrinking violet I don't like to think how big a scare my little one might have had to have gone through.
I do however love the diversity available in a relatively small city. The cultural side is thriving. There is something for all interests and the transport links are great. The community spirit still lingers better with the real Glaswegian comparing to many many other cities (see how all businesses rallied over the Clutha tragedy as an example). Over the list of pros and cons listed above I see a little truth in all but my favourite part of Glasgow is still the humour of the people borne through being an industrial giant where poverty, hardship, religious problems, pride and determination created a breed pretty much unique in my eyes.

PS I am from the other end of Scotland being an islander

Reactions: ST4
Back