weekly GM21 2015 52 Week challenge Week 2 - Fragile

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
No
Hi All

bit of a while since I linked to other posts so heres hoping the first bit is alright.

Heres my take on Bliss - I nearly posted the final image of the miniature bottle but decided that although supping the contents is indeed blissful, having the camera, lights and tripods out was indeed pure bliss.

Week 1 Bliss
by GM21 on Talk Photography

Thanks but I am a little confused on how to start. It reads like i need to create thread but am unsure how to do that.

Hi Gary and welcome.

Neat idea ... would love to see the 'final image'

That's nice ... with intriguing lighting techniques

funny how the little bottle can be so much more interesting

Hi Gary. That second shot is definitely more interesting. Glass (or plastic) can be difficult to light - it has a habit or creating fairly harsh direct reflection and common techniques used rely on the glass looking mainly either black or white and the edges being the opposite colour. You've sort of gone for this in the second and it kind of works for me. The first is probably just too dark for my liking, but sticking with the second, the composition is interesting. I'd like a touch more separation between the bottle (especially the cap) and the background but this could be achieved with some back/rim lighting if you wanted...

An interesting start and looking forward to seeing more. I always recommend a single book on lighting called Light Science and Magic which is a very well written and informative walkthrough of lighting techniques... well worth a read IMO.

Hi Gary,,, nice lighting there, I find myself wanting to see more

HI Gary & a belated welcome to the 52's from me :wave:

Was a little confused when I saw your initial image , however ,I think I get your drift now . Has to be said though that the 2nd image is a corker for me at least , lovely lighting , love the crop , just enough of the liquor showing....love it :clap:

Hi all thanks for the replies, I very much appreciate the feedback. Sorry for taking so long to get back but time just flies.
HI Gary & a belated welcome to the 52's from me :wave:

Was a little confused when I saw your initial image , however ,I think I get your drift now . Has to be said though that the 2nd image is a corker for me at least , lovely lighting , love the crop , just enough of the liquor showing....love it :clap:

Thanks - I was just shooting away and the thought came to me - Bliss is indeed simply messing about with camera, tripod and lights. Agree the first image is pants but it summed up Bliss in what I was doing at the time lol!

The first is probably just too dark for my liking, but sticking with the second, the composition is interesting. I'd like a touch more separation between the bottle (especially the cap) and the background but this could be achieved with some back/rim lighting if you wanted...

An interesting start and looking forward to seeing more. I always recommend a single book on lighting called Light Science and Magic which is a very well written and informative walkthrough of lighting techniques... well worth a read IMO.

It definitely needs something more around the cap - need to have another play and see what I can come up with - thanks for the book recommendation I will have a look

Hi Gary,,, nice lighting there, I find myself wanting to see more

Thanks for that - one of the hardest things I am learning is that the mystery can be more compelling than the full story. I always seem to put too much in and am trying hard to include an element of mystery by leaving something out of the final image. Not easy but glad you felt compelled to see more.

Thanks all and looking forward to sharing this photographic journey with you all :ty:

Hi all seeing some great week 2 content from everyone.

Here is my take on Fragile - broken glass. I volunteer at a charity shop and we have plenty of these to hand! Basically we have a small broken glass placed inside a light tent with a red cloth draped over the tent. The flash shot through the red cloth and was triggered by a wireless remote. Decided on the colour effect because the non coloured images just looked a bit sort of blah and lifeless.

Week 2 - Fragile1
by GM21 on Talk Photography

Really enjoyed this subject matter - when you get in close and tight the detail in the fractures is amazing. Definitely something I am going to follow up on.

great shot Gary - love that you did the colour as it does make it much more interesting. Thanks also for saying how you shot it. :)

:agree:

Same here. Again thanks for the info on how you took the image.

Gaz

Thanks guys n gals, I did struggle to find a break that had an interesting look. This particular glass had an instant 'mountain range' look that I thought could be interesting. Thanks for your feedback and support.

Nice one Gary. The tone works but I wonder if it would look even stronger with a slightly dark red? I don't know... I suspect not!

If there had been any way to get a bit more DOF that would be great... I think you'd be into focus stacking though as you're already at f/11 I see. Great shot though and nicely on theme :)

My first view was on my phone and could not work out what it was (I think i need glasses)
But viewing on monitor that is a fabulous picture

Back