gobsmacked! Unexpected repair bill on 7d2

Just spoke to them again.

They collected the error data from the camera and during this check it showed up that the pcb was faulty and this was causing the lens problem,
the lens was checked and tested and found not faulty.

As for the fact of working fine with other lenses, can't really be explained.

The £140 isn't an inspection fee, it is the 2 hours labour for the camera to be fixed and the £160 covers all of the spare parts that are required. They need to better word their lisitings on the estimates.

So it sounds like my camera would have died at some point.

I'm not the designer of the PCB but I think it's possible that only certain parts of the PCB work with or control a certain lens or lenses.
Canon have tested the lens in Germany although surely they could test it in UK unless their techies were all busy and to speed up repair etc they sent it to Germany. Which if this is the case is pretty good customer sevice. They find the lens is working fine and return it to the UK, Canon UK surmise the camera might have a problem, they ask if you'd like the camera checked out, presumably you agreed otherwise why send you a pre-paid postage sticker, which you received the same day and they check the camera out as soon as they can, in reality a couple of working days and unless you have CPS membership that seems quite reasonable.
They find it's got a problem and repair it for an extra £160, I think they refund the inspection charge, or more accurately reduce the repair costs by that amount usually but dont always note it on the invoice. They usually throw in a sensor clean too at no charge plus a few extra things like calibration checks, tighten loose screws they find etc.
So in short they have fixed your camera/lens problem pretty quickly and charged you £300 odd incl VAT and fully insured postage both ways and didnt charge for sending it Germany at all.

All in all I think I'd be quite pleased if that had been my experience.

Maybe I'm too easily pleased.

Last edited:
I just wished they actually told me to send the camera in at the same time as the lens, I still don't know why there was no voice message on either phone requesting my camera to be sent in, which they said they left a message. And no email to back up we need your camera to fully assess the problem.

But, it's getting sorted, both camera and lens are together with the technicians at elstree and should be working on it.

Well I may be the odd one but I wouldn't be at all happy if they had carried out the camera repair without my authorisation.

Well I may be the odd one but I wouldn't be at all happy if they had carried out the camera repair without my authorisation.
From my experience they dont, memory may be going fuzzy but I seem to recall when I dropped my stuff of they ask if you will pre-authorise up to a certain value. I'd be very surprised if they hadnt got authority to go ahead.
I'm not saying the OP is telling fibs but maybe things were said and mis-understood.

Last edited:
I just wished they actually told me to send the camera in at the same time as the lens, I still don't know why there was no voice message on either phone requesting my camera to be sent in, which they said they left a message. And no email to back up we need your camera to fully assess the problem.

But, it's getting sorted, both camera and lens are together with the technicians at elstree and should be working on it.
To be fair they didnt know at that point the fault lay with the camera. When my lenses were recently calibrated they gave me a choice of on my camera body or a "standard" body, I chose on my camera body and sent both in together.

Absolutely. There is a potential contractual issue here if you didn't consent to the work being done.

If someone came to clean your gutters and then said I saw a problem and fixed the roof too and you owe me a further £XXX, would you pay it? I know I wouldn't. Ask to see the contract where you agreed to the work on the camera being done.

Absolutely. There is a potential contractual issue here if you didn't consent to the work being done.

If someone came to clean your gutters and then said I saw a problem and fixed the roof too and you owe me a further £XXX, would you pay it? I know I wouldn't. Ask to see the contract where you agreed to the work on the camera being done.

I understand where you are coming from, but it has turned out to be a necessity, I need a camera that works and not a doorstop. Shame about the communication issues. About sums my look up at the moment!
At least they were true to there word when they said they would prioritise it. They have completed the camera today and it will be with me on Tuesday. Shame I won't have back for cosford on sunday, but hey ho. My dad has said I can borrow his 80d for a bit longer!

I understand where you are coming from, but it has turned out to be a necessity, I need a camera that works and not a doorstop. Shame about the communication issues. About sums my look up at the moment!
At least they were true to there word when they said they would prioritise it. They have completed the camera today and it will be with me on Tuesday. Shame I won't have back for cosford on sunday, but hey ho. My dad has said I can borrow his 80d for a bit longer!
If they are prioritising it and completed it today it sounds like they hadnt actually completed the work before you gave the go ahead. If that’s the case there are a few crossed wires on this thread saying canon should be completing work you hadnt authorised.

Fixation do not charge for a quote.
No they don't cahrge but they charge for parts not required. Fixation is a cowboy set up.
Sendean don't charge for quotes either and they don't charge for parts not required Fixation no way!

Last edited:
Just spoke to them again.

They collected the error data from the camera and during this check it showed up that the pcb was faulty and this was causing the lens problem,
the lens was checked and tested and found not faulty.

As for the fact of working fine with other lenses, can't really be explained.

The £140 isn't an inspection fee, it is the 2 hours labour for the camera to be fixed and the £160 covers all of the spare parts that are required. They need to better word their lisitings on the estimates.

So it sounds like my camera would have died at some point.
They should not have repaired your camera without your consent, if they have then it's free. They chose to repair it you never asked them. I would not pay anyone who repaired something of mine that when I sent it to them had nothing wrong with it and then they said it had and repaired it without me consenting and then they demanded payment! Niether would trading standards.

They should not have repaired your camera without your consent, if they have then it's free. They chose to repair it you never asked them. I would not pay anyone who repaired something of mine that when I sent it to them had nothing wrong with it and then they said it had and repaired it without me consenting and then they demanded payment! Niether would trading standards.
Have they actually completed the repair without permission?

Sounds like they haven’t to me if they completed the repair today. Seems they found no fault with the lens, asked for camera to get the error report , found out from the error report it was the camera, quoted for the camera repair then repaired it once they had the go ahead to me.

It sounds like good service from canon. They preservered after they found no fault with the lens (having sent it to Germany too), they still wanted to find the root cause so asked for the camera. What could have happened was the the lens was returned with the problem still occurring so the OP ends up selling a perfectly good lens as spares or repair then has the camera fail a few months later and now is hit with a second bill having sold a lens cheaply for no reason.

Last edited:
You haven't read the quote correctly.
I was just commenting on the parts costs, not the "reasons" for the quote, for which I agree, are taking the proverbial.

Back