gobsmacked! Unexpected repair bill on 7d2

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
I just can't beleive my look! My 18-135 had to go back to canon, they wanted to test it on my 7d2, the lens is apparently fauty, but I now also have a £370 repair bill on my 7d2! They only had it in last year for a top cover replacment of £350 where water had got in somehow! The lens is under a guarentee as they only replaced it in february.

Screenshot1 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Gutted to say the least!

Anyone elese had this misfortune?

Last edited:
I can't really see what that wall of text means. Did you send them the 7d2 and ask for an inspection of it? Or did you send them the 7d2 because they felt the lens was okay and couldn't find a fault and they wanted to see if it was your body, or was there something else going on? If you didn't have any problems with the 7d2, why do they think it needs a PCB replacement?

It says they're charging you £140 for an inspection you requested? Why did they want your 7D2 if the lens was faulty? All seems a bit strange

So ... even if you don't go through with the repairs, you have to send them £140 just to get the camera back?

I'm completely lost with it. My 18-135 was causing error 01 and was refusing to focus, so they told me to send the lens in for repair.
I then found out they wanted my 7d2 to retrieve error data from and to test my lens on it. I was told the lens was faulty this morning, but I have also been told not so long ago that the lens hasn't been tested on my camera because it isn't working!

What work did they carry out last year then on the camera. Have you got a full list?

I can't really see what that wall of text means. Did you send them the 7d2 and ask for an inspection of it? Or did you send them the 7d2 bec ause they felt the lens was okay and couldn't find a fault and they wanted to see if it was your body, or was there something else going on? If you didn't have any problems with the 7d2, why do they think it needs a PCB replacement?

Put a screenshot in now, its easier to read, missed the fact it didn't copy properly.

What work did they carry out last year then on the camera. Have you got a full list?

Last year it had the top plate and top lcd panel assembly replaced, there was corrosion on the internal flash contacts or under the pop up button I can't remember which bit, it wasn't very clear.

Did the 7d2 work with other lenses and did the lens work with other bodies or do you not know the answer to either question.

It seems very odd what has happened. My guess is they tested it with a body and it worked perfectly so then they requested your 7d2 to find the issue you are having was the PCB on the 7d2.

Or something like that, speculation really

Where did you send it?

Did the 7d2 work with other lenses and did the lens work with other bodies or do you not know the answer to either question.

It seems very odd what has happened. My guess is they tested it with a body and it worked perfectly so then they requested your 7d2 to find the issue you are having was the PCB on the 7d2.

Or something like that, speculation really

Yes, it was only my 18-135 which was playing up all other lenses were fine.

Where did you send it?

Elstree

Elstree
Normally they are very reliable and good value for money.

Normally they are very reliable and good value for money.

Thats what everyone says, I have found their communication not very good.

Lens sent in 15th may

I ring up the following monday for an update, yes it should be within the expected time, ring in a couple of days.

I was left a message apparently on the 18th we need your 7d2, no message on either phone or email to back up request.

will send you a returns label via email, they didnt email until 16:55 that day, a long time after the phone call.

they received my 7d on the 30th, only to go to the technicians yesterday!

Strange isn't it! I really don't understand it. But it will be tested when the camera is fixed.
Possibly, but who knows how these mysterious things work.

Strange isn't it! I really don't understand it. But it will be tested when the camera is fixed.
Presumably it will work ok after repair but it won't explain the mystery.

From what youre saying you owe nothing for the camera repair?

If so, just state you contracted them to fix the lens, not the camera.

From what youre saying you owe nothing for the camera repair?

If so, just state you contracted them to fix the lens, not the camera.
I didn't expect the camera to be faulty as it was just the one lens. I can only assume they ran their checks to make sure the camera wasn't at fault and then found the pcb issue. So it needs to be fixed, £372 I could have done without.

Am I following this right?

1.You thought you had a faulty lens as all other lenses worked fine so sent it in.
2. They said they couldn't find a fault and asked you to send the camera in
3. They say you requested that the camera was checked and charged you £140 + VAT for an inspection, but you didn't request that this was done.
4. They found a fault on the camera which will cost a further £160 +VAT?

It all sounds a bit odd to me tbh. I'm not sure how the camera can have a PCB failure if it works fine except with the lens in question. I'm also baffled as to why they've done an inspection of the camera without your consent. Was all this done over the phone or via email? If via email I would go through all the emails carefully, including the ones that you sent, and see if somewhere along the lines there's been some crossed wires and you have indeed consented to the camera inspection. If you have there's not a lot you can do about it, but if you haven't then maybe talk to them about it. The trouble is that if your camera does indeed have a fault and needs fixing then I guess you'd have to pay the inspection cost anyway. I'm surprised they charge for inspection tbh, and especially so much. Fortunately I've never had to send a camera back out of warranty, but with other things normally they don't charge to assess the equipment. Is this normal practice with camera repairs?

Seems strange. My Canon 5D Mk3 went in for a shutter fault that wasn't when it got there. They cleaned, replaced the back etc all for £130ish all in.
Mind you I had to change a main board on a canon I bought from here when the seller didn't tell me he'd damaged the pins on the CF slot. Thats was about £180 for the board alone, and that was several years ago

I may have missed it in post but what is the shutter count? To have the grips replaced usually means fairly heavy use?

I may have missed it in post but what is the shutter count? To have the grips replaced usually means fairly heavy use?
They peel them off to get inside....new ones are required after reassembly.

Seems strange. My Canon 5D Mk3 went in for a shutter fault that wasn't when it got there. They cleaned, replaced the back etc all for £130ish all in.
Mind you I had to change a main board on a canon I bought from here when the seller didn't tell me he'd damaged the pins on the CF slot. Thats was about £180 for the board alone, and that was several years ago
The price for a circuit board seems reasonable, but those "Rubber Covers" and pieces of assorted double-sided tape are exhorbitant!

I find it odd that they asked for your camera in the first place.
Either they find a fault with your lens, repair and return. Or they find no fault and return. I have never heard of any company effectively asking to go trawling through your kit bag to find a fault on something other than the piece of kit you send them.

The price for a circuit board seems reasonable, but those "Rubber Covers" and pieces of assorted double-sided tape are exhorbitant!
You haven't read the quote correctly.

This whole story makes no sense at all to me.

Am I following this right?

1.You thought you had a faulty lens as all other lenses worked fine so sent it in.
2. They said they couldn't find a fault and asked you to send the camera in
3. They say you requested that the camera was checked and charged you £140 + VAT for an inspection, but you didn't request that this was done.
4. They found a fault on the camera which will cost a further £160 +VAT?

It all sounds a bit odd to me tbh.
I find it odd that they asked for your camera in the first place.
Either they find a fault with your lens, repair and return. Or they find no fault and return. I have never heard of any company effectively asking to go trawling through your kit bag to find a fault on something other than the piece of kit you send them.
If this is an accurate summary of what's happened - and we haven't been told it isn't - then its very strange indeed.

Furthermore:
No, I didn't request a quote, but there's not much point having a dead camera

So was it a dead camera, or was it a camera which worked absolutely fine with numerous other lenses but just not the 18-135? It can't be both.

Back