Godox 600W Portable Studio Flash

Edit My Images
No
Hi all ... anyone here bought a Godox portable Lithium flash system off Ebay from Hong Kong .. ?

Can i ask if you were hit by import taxes ?

thankies ... :)

I have no experience with it, but suppose you do have to pay the duty, it's not great value compared to the safari2 which is much lighter, better built head and a great price if you order this month.
I contemplated the cheaper units, but the thought that I might have a problem later led to me deciding on a uk sale with decent after sales, rather than trying to negotiate with a Hong Kong or Chinese seller.

The Flash Centre sell them (or perhaps it's just the battery that allows studio heads to be used on-location)?

Last edited:
Yes thatsa what I was thinking as I was writing it.

If you're investing decent money into a flash setup, you want it to be reliable, you want it to be part of a system and you want it to be backed by a good company that will stand behind their gear if it goes wrong.

I was at a seminar last year and afterwards, someone asked David Hobby what he thought of eBay kit like this. He wasn't very complimentary and amongst other things, described it as "Mystery Meat" - spot on, I thought.

FWIW, when I decided I needed more than just speedlights for location shoots, I bought into the Elinchrom range and got a set of Quadras. More expensive, yes. But they're compatible with a fabulous range of gear, unlikely to let me down and if I ever decide that I want to sell them on, I won't lose much money on what I paid.

Quadras are massively outdated technology. If Eli don't pull their finger out of their posterior soon, they are going to end up looking like Pocket Wizards. Overpriced and out classed.

I'd hardly call Godox mystery meat.

As for buying into a system, if we use Lencarta's naming, there's compatibility across the system with the Safari 2 and the Atom. That makes for a very interesting set up.

Add in some Godox V850s (which are seriously cheap/ value for money whilst not being crap) which are also compatible and it gets even better.

You are welcome to the Quadra. It's underpowered and archaic.

Don't get why the quadras are outdated. Sure there are others now more powerful but archaic?
Build quality is first class. Flash durations excellent.

I agree 400W is starting to look under powered but that certainly doesn't make it archaic?

In terms of modern battery technology & pack systems, I'd say so. Especially when you consider the problems that the Skyport system can cause.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a very good bit of kit but the technology behind it is years old. Look how long it took Eli to replace the lead battery with a Li-on based one!

Distance apart (which is fine for most of my work) I've never had a single problem with my skyports?
In fact I'd say it's the best feature of Elinchrom lights generally. It's hardly archaic though :) Every system goes through a cycle of upgrades.

Distance apart (which is fine for most of my work) I've never had a single problem with my skyports?
In fact I'd say it's the best feature of Elinchrom lights generally. It's hardly archaic though :) Every system goes through a cycle of upgrades.
The cost of a single 400 quadra with Lithium battery is about the same as 2 600 Lencarta Safari2's or 2 of the ilux 600's. And makes the Profoto Air B1 look like it's easily worth the small price difference.

I think that says the Eli is looking out of date, the comparison to the PW flex is fair, it's not that it's bad kit, but it's been undermined by better cheaper alternatives. The upgrade of the battery and triggers has modernised them to a degree, but the old heavy battery is still an (cheap?) option.

The old Safari LiIon is better value, the new one is half the price.

Yes cost is obviously a big consideration - But that doesn't make it archaic which was the point I was making. I have 3 of the old batteries and a couple of packs. Carrying one is fine. Two takes a bit more effort lol

If you're investing decent money into a flash setup, you want it to be reliable, you want it to be part of a system and you want it to be backed by a good company that will stand behind their gear if it goes wrong.
I was at a seminar last year and afterwards, someone asked David Hobby what he thought of eBay kit like this. He wasn't very complimentary and amongst other things, described it as "Mystery Meat" - spot on, I thought.
FWIW, when I decided I needed more than just speedlights for location shoots, I bought into the Elinchrom range and got a set of Quadras. More expensive, yes. But they're compatible with a fabulous range of gear, unlikely to let me down and if I ever decide that I want to sell them on, I won't lose much money on what I paid.

Not everyone just starting out has the budget for Bowens and Elinchrom. The standard of gear coming out of China is much improved and a considerable amount of it can be bought in the UK with standard warranties.

I suggest you check speck on the Godox DE300 and 600. Flash duration, colour accuracy, the same as d-Lites and Bowens strobes.

I just bought 3 x Godox DE300's, 2 softboxes, 2 brollies and 3 stands for £230. If it lasts me 6 months I'm happy and I'm expecting a lot longer than that. I'm going to add the FT-16 trigger - full control over flash power from the trigger.

A photon is a photon, whether it comes from China, or in a d-Lites case, India :)

Last edited:
Flash duration is pretty slow so but doesn't look terrible.

Not everyone just starting out has the budget for Bowens and Elinchrom. The standard of gear coming out of China is much improved and a considerable amount of it can be bought in the UK with standard warranties.

I suggest you check speck on the Godox DE300 and 600. Flash duration, colour accuracy, the same as d-Lites and Bowens strobes.

I just bought 3 x Godox DE300's, 2 softboxes, 2 brollies and 3 stands for £230. If it lasts me 6 months I'm happy and I'm expecting a lot longer than that. I'm going to add the FT-16 trigger - full control over flash power from the trigger.

A photon is a photon, whether it comes from China, or in a d-Lites case, India :)

Revision.

I thought I'd bought 3 x Godox, but the supplier thought it would be fun to supply 3 x Pegasus P300's instead, which don't even come with a Bowen s Type.

Revision.

I thought I'd bought 3 x Godox, but the supplier thought it would be fun to supply 3 x Pegasus P300's instead, which don't even come with a Bowen s Type.
I'm guessing they're going back :(

I'm guessing they're going back :(

Indeed. I'm really p'd off. What is sick is that the DE300's are only £40 per unit + taxes brought in from Shenzai. I'd be happy enough to use product produced in China, but I really don't want to have a situation with no warranty at all.

What do the sellers say?

I'm going to do a new thread with details but I recently ended up with a proper 'bargain' from China.

What do the sellers say?

I'm going to do a new thread with details but I recently ended up with a proper 'bargain' from China.

I bought them through Amazon and have spoken to Amazon customer support directly. I've emailed the supplier, Amazon have emailed the supplier. No response yet. Amazon agree I have been given the wrong product and have agreed a refund regardless of what the supplier does, which is a huge relief - and why I went through Amazon.

Will be interested to see what your bargain is! :)

Ive been playing around with various portable lights lately, the Godox RS600p is an amazing light, compared to most other brands its right up there in terms of tech with its LED modeling lamp and interchangeable lithium power pack. <REMOVED>

** Mod Edit**
please don't ply your wares,
its unfair to those that pay to advertise.
I believe you did apply for our T&C but never followed it up.

Back