Good reason for driving a 4x4

OT sorry, passed a Merc sports yesterday with the reg P11KEE, didn't see if it had a towbar for the caravan.

OT sorry, passed a Merc sports yesterday with the reg P11KEE, didn't see if it had a towbar for the caravan.
In my 48 years, I've never yet seen them tow caravans, they just seem to appear on any old bit of land as if by magic.

this is the best reason to own a 4x4... to get it looking like this:

52848bc5-68dd-d78a.jpg

if anyone wants to know... it was the 3 inch thick ice on a water section that broke the headlights and grille!! lucky it didnt get to the rad!!

52848b86-8503-f261.jpg

So do you leave the towing strap on it permanently?

Ah yes, of course you do - it's a Landy:)

So do you leave the towing strap on it permanently?

Ah yes, of course you do - it's a Landy:)

We only needed it once ;)

and thats because we got wedged at about a 30 degree angle against a bank... wouldnt go forwards or backwards lol

Shogun official safety rating is not that good but when you see the after affects of when they are involved in accidents it makes you think that tests are wrong. When you watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGTiRvvdvBs you certainly wouldn't want to be hit by one.

I've had the Pajero LWB and now the Shogun SWB and also run an old indestructable (my landrover recovery vehicle :LOL:) and use them for the purposes they were designed for. However I am very aware that they are built like tanks and at a height that is going to inflict massive damage to smaller vehicles so I do drive with a lot more thought.

As a dedicated 4x4 owner having owned at least 8 over the years, and still do, there are for and against in owning one. I live down a country lane that never ever sees a council gritting lorry in the winter let alone the 200 yard drive down to my place from it. Without a 4x4 getting out is neigh impossible in the winter with snow/ice on the ground. For those owners who suffer from similar like farmers and country folk generally they are the ideal vehicle.
I have to agree with those anti 4x4 people when they see this type of vehicle being used as a Chelsea Tractor or just for pure status, it is totally unnecessary when a smaller car can do just as well.
As I said I have owned 4x4,s for many years and the driving technique is completely different from driving a car, due to the high gravity of the vehicles corners can't be sped around and the size can be daunting to other road users, I have owned 3x Toyota Landcruiser Amazons amongst other 4x4's and know the " what the hell do you want a car that size for" look.

I tend to find that drivers of these larger vehicles tend to give way when necessary down narrow lanes because they realise the damage they can cause to other cars, or at least thats my observation over the past 17 years of living here.

Realspeed

I agree. I use a 4x4 because I really need to. And I like driving it on the road too, especially in heavy rain/and or at night because the high position helps with spray and oncoming headlights.

But the crude suspension, limited slip diff and high centre of gravity means that the handling is poor compared to a modern car. Why some people buy them because they believe that they're safer is a tribute to the power of marketing and a comment on the stupidity of the buyers.

As for giving way, yes - on road everything is slower and less urgent and there's a tendancy to drive more courteously, a bit like driving a small lorry. And on farm tracks and single track roads it's easy to pull off and let someone with only 2 drive wheels and no ground clearance have the road.

I've seen a great deal of "Chelsea tractors" struggling with the snowy conditions lately, road style tyres, no driver skills and of course no one around big enough to push them out of trouble, my wee under powered Peugeot van with skinny tyres just chugs along and allows me to make my deliveries.
It's not as if they're needed at the moment, why, all the schools are shut and mommy needs to stay at home to entertain the kids.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Best car I've ever owned, Audi Quattro (Coupe) went like a bullet and stuck to the road like *****, having a family put paid to those days!

I now have a 7 seat TD5 Discovery to house the 6 of us and having looked at changing over the years can't get much for the money and what is within reach, Chrysler Grand Voyager has an awful crash rating so really isn't an option. Has cruise control fitted and am happy to sit at 65 and take my time (and save some diesel!!)

Last edited:
this is the best reason to own a 4x4... to get it looking like this:

52848bc5-68dd-d78a.jpg

if anyone wants to know... it was the 3 inch thick ice on a water section that broke the headlights and grille!! lucky it didnt get to the rad!!

52848b86-8503-f261.jpg

Is that a D.O.C. triangle I see in the windscreen ?

Is that a D.O.C. triangle I see in the windscreen ?

Yes it is mate! It's actually my mate/collected car, spent the morning at devils pit, near Luton... Had a great time, apart from being first through an ice covered puddle!! Oh well what's a new grille and headlights!!

Back