Google Map - Poppies, Lavender, Sunflower Fields & Bluebells

Just added one in Northamptonshire just between the villages of Loddington & Orton.

I'll be checking that one out when I visit my folk's in Rothwell at the weekend. Thanks.

What a great idea and use of technology.

Have added in a poppy field near Winchester. I also believe there is one near Andover, but as I dont know the exact location I wont add it.

Would be useful to have dates that the poppies etc were out, as they dont last very long, and would hate for TPers to visit and find the field bare.

Murph - the lavendar field near you (just north of Coulsdon) isnt out fully yet. Another couple of weeks me thinks.

Stephen

Have posted a couple of poppy sites - one just off the M54 near RAF Cosford I saw on the way to the airshow 2 weekends ago, and one in Coldstream, Scottish Borders from yesterday. Shame I haven't found one near my house!

Neither of them were full fields of poppies, but a fairly significant expanse - filled the frame at 17mm anyway! :)

When to the Lakenheath Poppies yesterday, still poppies around but in clumps. Really large bee like insects came out just before sunset.. Anybody got ideas what these may be?

I think I've added a few poppy fields, one of them the lilac opium ones and a lavender field. Oh and a place for showdrops (I made the pushpin turquoise for now) :)

Just corrected Mayfield Lavender as it was about a mile too far east. Should be about the right time to visit I think, need to check my exif from when I was there last year.

I went yesterday, and it was well behind last year. At least another week, though more likely 2 before a full flush of colour. They said that a late frost had delayed the flowers.

I went yesterday, and it was well behind last year. At least another week, though more likely 2 before a full flush of colour. They said that a late frost had delayed the flowers.

We have a selection of plants we got there last year and the flowers aren't there just yet either. Will keep an eye on my plants before we head over one evening.

Thanks for this map, great idea :) Now I just have to wait for some sun to take some pics of these fields....

bumping this thread up (admins: sticky?!)

Let's keep this going for 2012

I would love to see locations for daffodils, crocii (crocuses) and tulips added

I can't wait for the spring!

Good bump. Unfortunately, if people are going to move location markers 100 miles away from their correct position it's not going to be very helpful. I just went searching for one of mine, which should be near Brentwood in Essex and I found it had been moved to Rugby.

Good bump. Unfortunately, if people are going to move location markers 100 miles away from their correct position it's not going to be very helpful. I just went searching for one of mine, which should be near Brentwood in Essex and I found it had been moved to Rugby.

We had a similar issue with the Light Trails Location version of this map which is why it's ended up being locked so that only two people can add to it :shrug: the trouble is that all it takes with a map like this is one Arse, and that could be anyone not specifically a member to ruin the resource for everyone :shake:

I've corrected my wayward entry. :)

I wasn't having a go at anyone. I just noted that my marker was well off the mark. Maybe mine is the only one affected, but I can't check everybody's. It was more a warning that all may not be what it seems.

Last edited:
Love this idea of a thread. Each spring I seem to miss the chance for these locations, but as if any locations are near me anyway. Would be nice to see though if there are :)

tdodd said:
I've corrected my wayward entry. :)

I wasn't having a go at anyone. I just noted that my marker was well off the mark. Maybe mine is the only one affected, but I can't check everybody's. It was more a warning that all may not be what it seems.

Some people at times don't like sharing their locations and do sometime mess with things do thanks for the warning.

Time for an update for 2012 :)

I have to admit, previously I told someone i couldn't reveal a location once, yes i was insecure and yes I feel now that it was stupid and selfish. In order to make amends I will try sharing the location here. I don't have a google account, and I don't want one either so perhaps someone can add this location for me here is the link

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51....0.130162&spn=0.014547,0.033088&num=1&t=m&z=15

It's Chevening Road just before the bridge over the motroway, a field entrance there to a sunflower field it quite nice in August and within easy reach of anybody in south or east London :D

Does anyone know how Ashridge Estate in Herts is looking? Thinking about going tomorrow or Friday.

richardhurst said:
Just added Hitchin Lavender I hope!

Thanks! Might go check it out once the sun comes out :)
Bluebells are out in Sherrardpark Woods in Welwyn Garden City. On my phone so can't seem to figure out how to post on map :(

Hi Jon, I hope you don't mind but I've used a yellow pin on the map for the wild daffodils at Shaw Common nr Oxenhall and Dymock in Gloucestershire.

Its a fabulous sight to see, this area is known for them and is part of the Golden Triangle which lies between Dymock, Kempley and Oxenhall, and each of these villages has their own Daffodil Festival weekend each spring.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Great idea, added a couple of local bluebell sites in Bedfordshire.

Back