Google Streets

Name
Fred Dawson LRPS
Edit My Images
Yes
The BBC have a report that suggests that a complaint has been made to the Information Commissioner about Google streets infringing peoples right to privacy.

My concern is that should the ICO rule against Google this would set a precedent in law that would effectively prohibit or significantly restrict the taking photographs whilst in a public place.

This may have implications for both amateur and professional photographers I would be interested to see other peoples b views on this issue and if my concerns are justifie

It'll never work - google have taken photos from a public place and no matter how much people think this is wrong it is perfectly legal. No doubt the Daily Mail will get behind the campaign to stop Google Street

Privacy International (PI) director Simon Davies said his organisation had filed the complaint given the "clear embarrassment and damage" Street View had caused to many Britons.

Get a life ffs :bat:

There is no right to privacy in UK law.
The information commissioner can not make law only enforce it.

Somebody should read what the Data Protection Act actually covers. I get really fed up with people telling me that stuff is DPA when its not...

LOL - how is this any different from the thousands of CCTV cameras already in use. Most of those don't have the software enabled to block views into private households

The interesting thing with Google maps etc is that you can complain and get things removed... but if Google update the image, you have to complain again and get it removed again.

This is currently going on with Google Maps and "sensitive military installations" - they had them blurred out before, but when Google update the satellite images you don't automatically get your secret missile base blurred out :D

It's caused me clear embarassment, if you look at my house there's an mx5 parked on the driveway

Oh the shame :(

Hum - I sense a business opportunity.
Maybe I can park my TVR on others driveways when the google van is passing :D

I find it quite funny that photographers (from what I see here) seem to be in of the same opinion as me.....perhaps it will do us photographers all some good and highlight the fact its not illegal to take photos in a public place.

Is it just me but if you dont want to be spotted doing something you shouldnt be doing (by google street view or anyone who might be walking past) then dont bloody do it!!!

I quite like the view they've done of my house, luckily i'd just finished doing the garden so I'm happy with it (y) .... even if they didn't blur the reg of my Land Rover :nono:

They've got street photography sorted. All you need to do is strap a stack of cameras to a helmet and walk down the street and you're laughing!

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear, right?

Incidentally, has anyone seen the CCTV cars around Mordor?

I must remember to take a close-up picture of the occupants next time I pass one.

Give it a couple of years and we'll all be banned from using eyes in public in case someone is embarased when we look at them. Pass the blindfolds.

Incidentally, has anyone seen the CCTV cars around Mordor?

Take the pic and send it to your local council informing them you saw this particular vehicle acting in a suspicious manner. :LOL:

In all seriousness, though - I do get the impression that this is bringing in 24-hr constant accessible surveillance through the back door by distracting us with pretty baubles like "Oo look you can see my house from here!".

Not that - in Mordor at least - it makes much difference. What was that figure about travelling through central? You're on 400+ cameras by the time you've gone through?

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear.

It does strike me as somewhat ironic, considering my pal and I are moved on every 10 minutes the moment we set up our tripods.

Take the pic and send it to your local council informing them you saw this particular vehicle acting in a suspicious manner. :LOL:

I thought about doing this when the whole thing was really kicking off 10 years ago - finding a politician and monitoring them CONSTANTLY from the moment they close their front door to the moment they return. I mean - they're civil servants, right? They're our property. We have a right to know, right?

If the ICO rule against Goggle, the government would have to change the law.

I can see the speeder caught on camera in court using this judgement to say that as the speed camera identified the car or person without permission it can not be used as evidence.

All CCTV camera would have to be removed if they cover a public area, it would become a total nightmare for the government and courts.

What an article "Our readers have complained and managed to get photos taken down because they invade their privacy... here let us host these photos on our own website for you to see"

Hmm... tastes... irony...

Back