Graduation?

untidy school uniform is a bug bear of mine - its basic discipline to be tidy and correct.
School uniform is a bug bear of mine, pointless and a waste of money. Hated it when at school myself and even more so when my sons were at school. The clothes you wear have no bearing on whether someone is disciplined or whether they will have the ability to be educated.

But it's not a reason to exclude 100+ pupils.

Steve.

that does seem excessive but then if they constantly disregard the rules then yes they should be excluded. I would get told to go home if I tried to work with my uniform in a state.

School uniform is a bug bear of mine, pointless and a waste of money. Hated it when at school myself and even more so when my sons were at school. The clothes you wear have no bearing on whether someone is disciplined or whether they will have the ability to be educated.

uniform means they are all the same, and it's not expensive to buy. I wore a blazer, tie and trousers to school with shoes not trainers.

the discipline is in wearing the uniform correctly not the actual wearing of it. if you don't like the uniform send your kids to a school that doesn't have a dress code. if the school has a dress code abide by it what is the issue in that.

uniform means they are all the same, and it's not expensive to buy. I wore a blazer, tie and trousers to school with shoes not trainers.

the discipline is in wearing the uniform correctly not the actual wearing of it. if you don't like the uniform send your kids to a school that doesn't have a dress code. if the school has a dress code abide by it what is the issue in that.
Kids have to go to school and all schools have a uniform, unless of course you know different.
As for the uniforms themselves it's not just a case of Blazer, tie, trousers and shoes.
This is how all schools are now around here and remember kids grow so there is a chance you'll need to make a repeat purchase in a larger size before the school year is out.
Shoes must be plain black, no buckles or embellishments in any colour other than black. (£50-60)
Blazer must be worn by boys at all times, unless at discretion of teacher, or obviously during PE. (Girls have the option of a Summer Uniform and don't have to wear the Blazer). (£25-30)
Socks must be black (white for girls) white football socks for PE. (£15)
Fairly plain black or white trainers for PE, no garish colours or designs. Plimsolls for gym without black soles. (£60+ and that is a conservative estimate)
School trousers should be black, not dark grey. (£40-60)
Plain black coat for winter/bad weather, no coloured logos no matter how discreet. (£20+)
Black PE shorts for outside winter sports, White PE shorts for gym or summer sports (athletics) (£20)
PE polo shirts in House colour. (£20-30)
House colour ribbon to be sewn across top of blazer breast pocket. (20p)
Plain white shirt (£25-30)
Tie (£5) ok that one should last the whole of the child's time at school, but guess what, for their final school year they have a different tie to the lower years.
At a lower estimate that's about £170 initial outlay each school year depending on stockists prices that could easily be doubled, without the cost of replacements through out the school year.
I also disagree that uniform means they are all the same. Just because the colours may be right, It doesn't mean the materials used will be the same, cheaper materials stand out against the more expensive stuff and not everyone can afford anything but the cheap stuff.
My wife is a school care assistant (breakfast club and dinner lady) she now has to conform to a dress code, no jeans, no trainers/sandals, no T-shirts.
It's all becoming a farce and beyond ridiculous.

Kids have to go to school and all schools have a uniform, unless of course you know different.
As for the uniforms themselves it's not just a case of Blazer, tie, trousers and shoes.
This is how all schools are now around here and remember kids grow so there is a chance you'll need to make a repeat purchase in a larger size before the school year is out.
Shoes must be plain black, no buckles or embellishments in any colour other than black. (£50-60)
Blazer must be worn by boys at all times, unless at discretion of teacher, or obviously during PE. (Girls have the option of a Summer Uniform and don't have to wear the Blazer). (£25-30)
Socks must be black (white for girls) white football socks for PE. (£15)
Fairly plain black or white trainers for PE, no garish colours or designs. Plimsolls for gym without black soles. (£60+ and that is a conservative estimate)
School trousers should be black, not dark grey. (£40-60)
Plain black coat for winter/bad weather, no coloured logos no matter how discreet. (£20+)
Black PE shorts for outside winter sports, White PE shorts for gym or summer sports (athletics) (£20)
PE polo shirts in House colour. (£20-30)
House colour ribbon to be sewn across top of blazer breast pocket. (20p)
Plain white shirt (£25-30)
Tie (£5) ok that one should last the whole of the child's time at school, but guess what, for their final school year they have a different tie to the lower years.
At a lower estimate that's about £170 initial outlay each school year depending on stockists prices that could easily be doubled, without the cost of replacements through out the school year.
I also disagree that uniform means they are all the same. Just because the colours may be right, It doesn't mean the materials used will be the same, cheaper materials stand out against the more expensive stuff and not everyone can afford anything but the cheap stuff.
My wife is a school care assistant (breakfast club and dinner lady) she now has to conform to a dress code, no jeans, no trainers/sandals, no T-shirts.
It's all becoming a farce and beyond ridiculous.

lewis has a uniform too (ok he is only 9)

polo shirts 3 for £3.50
trousers 4 for £8
school jumper 2 for £20
shoes £30 (last all year)
shorts £3
socks £4
plimsoles for gym £4

If you insist on spending money like that then thats your choice, but don't complain that is expensive when its not. I expect to pay more when he goes to secondary school but not what you've spent - if you want to spend £60 on trainers then fine but thats your choice, same for a £20-30 polo shirt.

If youre wife has to confirm to a dress code then she can claim tax back for the upkeep or if its a uniform the cost ;)

lewis has a uniform too (ok he is only 9)

polo shirts 3 for £3.50
trousers 4 for £8
school jumper 2 for £20
shoes £30 (last all year)
shorts £3
socks £4
plimsoles for gym £4

If you insist on spending money like that then thats your choice, but don't complain that is expensive when its not. I expect to pay more when he goes to secondary school but not what you've spent - if you want to spend £60 on trainers then fine but thats your choice, same for a £20-30 polo shirt.

If youre wife has to confirm to a dress code then she can claim tax back for the upkeep or if its a uniform the cost ;)
The prices I quoted are for secondary school and also include the very high possibility of replacements during the school year. None of the prices I have quoted are rock bottom prices for reasonable quality, as I wrote the initial outlay could easily be double if you are willing to spend more. In fact the prices I've quoted are a couple of years out of date as that was the last time I had to fork out for school uniform, so some items may well cost more.
I'm fairly sure my wife can't claim tax back for her workwear as it does not contain a company logo, she has just been given a list of clothing and footwear that she is not allowed to wear. Aside from that the amount of hours she works per week, I very much doubt she's paying any tax anyway.

that does seem excessive but then if they constantly disregard the rules then yes they should be excluded. I would get told to go home if I tried to work with my uniform in a state.

It wasn't a case of being 'in a state'. It was stupid things such as skirts being 1/2" too high or in one case the soles of one pupil's shoes being the wrong colour. And this was with clothing supplied by the school's approved supplier (another practice I don't like) and with just a few weeks to go before the end of term.
some parents even bought replacements - again from the approved supplier, and were told they were wrong too.

Luckily for me*, my daughter finished her last exam a couple of days before his dictatorial nonsense started. (* luckily for him actually, otherwise he might have had his teeth re-arranged).

My daughter had managed to wear odd socks to school every day of her three years there despite the uniform policy saying they must be black.

The uniform at this school is ridiculous. Blazers and ties - not real ties like at her previous school but clip on. I hate ties anyway as they are pointless but having a clip on tie is doubly pointless.

A school uniform just needs to be a standard colour for trousers, skirts and shoes and a sweatshirt with the school's logo on it. We don't need the added expense of all the other stuff just to satisfy the power hungry idiot of a headmaster, trying to apply the same rules he used when he used to work in a prison.

Exactly. We didn't have a uniform when I was in the sixth form at school (they do now) and I'm sure no pupil's education suffered because of it.
We don't (generally) have uniforms once we leave school so we don't need them in school

Steve.

Last edited:
A school uniform just needs to be a standard colour for trousers, skirts and shoes and a sweatshirt with the school's logo on it. We don't need the added expense of all the other stuff just to satisfy the power hungry idiot of a headmaster, trying to apply the same rules he used when he used to work in a prison.

Exactly. We didn't have a uniform when I was in the sixth form at school (they do now) and I'm sure no pupil's education suffered because of it.
We don't (generally) have uniforms once we leave school so we don't need them in school

Steve.
Agreed, no need for over the top out of date ideals, they are just schools, places of education, not boarding schools or such where parents spend thousands per term to send their little darlings. There is too much emphasis wasted on trying to make state schools more than they needed to be. My old secondary school is now a "Languages College" why isn't it just a normal secondary school like it was and all the others should be.
I left school after my O-Levels in the 5th year, so no 6th form for me, if I remember rightly my sister wore a very relaxed school uniform in her 6th year, I think I twas just a case of the colours having to be right, not scruffy and no denim skirts or jeans, boys got away with wearing black jeans style trousers though.
They don't have 6th years around here anymore we have a 6th Form College and they certainly don't have a dress code of any sort. My youngest son attends the 6th form college and I would say he is paying more attention now and making more of an effort than he did at school. Probably because now he is allowed to be an individual.

Steve.

you'll have a dress code or a uniform for a lot of jobs wither it be a suit and tie, an actual uniform like police or safety clothes.

The point I was making which seems to have been missed is that when you have a uniform it should be worn neatly - at no point have I said you need a uniform to get a good education or have disipline

No uniform at my last school. Dress code, yes but no uniform.

if I remember rightly my sister wore a very relaxed school uniform in her 6th year, I think I twas just a case of the colours having to be right, not scruffy and no denim skirts or jeans

When I was in the sixth form, only once was anyone ever sent home to change - And he came in wearing a kilt.

Another friend was sent home for the day after playing the bagpipes in the playground.

Perhaps there was a anti Scottish rule!!

Steve.

Back