Graduation?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
No
I think this is what its really about.
Or am I just cynical ;)

Tens of thousands of outfits, based on those worn by university students, are being sold every year in Europe, the Middle East and Far East. They usually retail at up to about £20 and are available in dozens of colours, from gold to maroon.

In the US, pre-school graduations are an established, sizeable industry. Books have been written to reassure nervous children ahead of the ceremony, while cuddly toys of characters such as Sesame Street's Elmo in academic garb are available.

Samuels graduation at nursery was actually a show put on by the kids not that we went cause Samuel didn't.

Or am I just cynical ;)

No surprises there then. However, I should imagine there are quite a few photographers make a bob or two as well.:LOL:

FFS. Never hear of such utter pish. What waste of space.:rolleyes:

Wether its for the money or its just cynicism the kids love it and have a great day of dressing up and receiving their scrolls etc etc.

Wether its for the money or its just cynicism the kids love it and have a great day of dressing up and receiving their scrolls etc etc.

The reality is though the kids would have a great day if they just had a little party with some sugar rich food and got to play with all there little friends with a fraction of the extra cost factor...

What a waste of time.

The only thing that made my university graduation bearable was the complimentary alcohol, I shudder to think what it's like trying the same thing with 4 year olds cranked up on sugar!

Oh please.
If you want your kids to go and take part, let them.
If you don't. ....don't.
It's not rocket science.

In the US, it may be the only chance to have a graduation ceremony for many youngsters :LOL: . The universities are only affordable to the selected few. Both facts are just as ridiculous, and yes it as all about $20 at the end of the day. What is the special achievement of going to nursery and having parents to pay through the nose for the pleasure?

I'm sure the kids enjoy it, and there's no harm in that. But basically it's yet another money making racket designed to part parents from as much cash as possible.
In the sixth or seventh richest country in the world, but where food banks are appearing all over the place I think it's time we got our priorities right. Graduation ceremonies for four year olds aren't at the top of my list.

My son just had his graduation at a council run nursery and there was no charge for wearing the gown and he got a little present and medal and got to walk on the red carpet and pose at the spot for photos. He loved it. It's a nice opportunity for a photograph which is what I bought all my equipment for in the first place.

Graduating is the easy part, finding a job not so........

:agree:

What jobs do you know of that are suitable for 4 year olds :LOL:

Not ever nursery does it as a money spinning exercise.
Im sure the majority of those who think it is probably dont even have kids.

It's part of the Americanisation of this country which must be resisted as far as possible!

Like using wrong American spellings, stupid words like gotten, non existant words like allot, illogical phrases like my bad and using # to denote number.

Steve.

It's part of the Americanisation of this country which must be resisted as far as possible!

Like using wrong American spellings, stupid words like gotten, non existant words like allot, illogical phrases like my bad and using # to denote number.

Steve.

Steve, gotten is an English, not American creation. I also fail to see how you could credit Americans with allot/alot; I see people doing it all the time here on their own accord, no help from the USA necessary.

Last edited:
I can't really see the point in Graduations/presentations etc to be honest, I just don't like all the fuss. When I left school after my exams, I just left an SAE for them to send me my results, there was no way I was going back to school. Since starting work I couldn't even be bothered to go to my 25yrs and 30yrs long service dinners, thankfully they don't do them anymore so I won't have to be turning them down this year for my 35th.

Didn't you?
Brought up on a council scheme, comprehensive education and a limited vocabulary. That's me.

Or am I just cynical ;)

No.. you're pretty much bang on.

I hate the way we import everything these days. We even have Black Friday sales here now... I mean.. WTF??

Steve, gotten is an English, not American creation. I also fail to see how you could credit Americans with allot/alot; I see people doing it all the time here on their own accord, no help from the USA necessary.

I know gotten is an old English word but it had fallen out of use here and just sounds strange now.

Why do you think people here sometimes use alot or allot? It's because they have seen Americans using them!

Steve.

I know gotten is an old English word but it had fallen out of use here and just sounds strange now.

Why do you think people here sometimes use alot or allot? It's because they have seen Americans using them!

Steve.

I would argue that gotten makes far more sense than using got for the past participle (cf., forget, forgot, forgotten). It was likely sloppy or poor grammar that ultimately lead to got overtaking gotten to become the more common form in the UK, so got as the preferred past participle in this country isn't something of which I'd be particularly proud.

With regard to allot/alot, I can't really see how the Americans could be blamed for this. I've lived in the USA, Australia, and the UK and the problem is endemic in all of these countries, unfortunately. That said, I too find it particularly annoying and have also noticed a similar development with abit.

I remember my English teacher at school telling us never to use gotten as it was poor grammar. It's a word I've never used since then and this is the first time I have written it in over 40 years.:) It won't be happening again.

Last edited:
I think it's great. Kids love dressing up and being made to feel special. Best if the nursery has outfits that can be re-used from year to year. I can think of far bigger wastes of time and money.

My wifes nursery bought the gowns and mortarboards years ago! Every year they get re-used.
The parents invitation is hand made by my wife with the only cost being the nursery supplying her the card and paper to make them.
There is no cost attributed to the parents whatsoever.

I would argue that gotten makes far more sense than using got for the past participle (cf., forget, forgot, forgotten). It was likely sloppy or poor grammar that ultimately lead to got overtaking gotten to become the more common form in the UK, so got as the preferred past participle in this country isn't something of which I'd be particularly proud.

With regard to allot/alot, I can't really see how the Americans could be blamed for this. I've lived in the USA, Australia, and the UK and the problem is endemic in all of these countries, unfortunately. That said, I too find it particularly annoying and have also noticed a similar development with abit.

We're straying a little off topic, but that's understandable

You could be right (you probably are). I was just relaying my experiences of first seeing it on American forums and only recently seeing it from non Ameriacans.

It's a horrible sounding word. There are much better alternatives such as acquired, received, bought, been given, etc.

What about gotted?!!

Steve.

"Off of".... WTF is THAT about?

"Aksed" instead of asked.
Makes my blood boil :LOL:

My wifes nursery bought the gowns and mortarboards years ago! Every year they get re-used.
The parents invitation is hand made by my wife with the only cost being the nursery supplying her the card and paper to make them.
There is no cost attributed to the parents whatsoever.

That's the way it should be done. It's fun for the kids and I think it's good for the ones who aren't used to being in front of an audience. It helps build self confidence. The only issue I have with it (yes, sadly popular U.S. Trends affect us too) is that it is done in the middle of a work day. Most families here have both parents working full time. How can both afford to take time off to attend? And what about the parents who can't get or afford to take time off at all? Sometimes Grandma or Grandpa can substitute, but what about those children with no one there?

Don't even get me started on the outrageous birthday parties parents are throwing for their kids...and not just one party, but a party every year. And who said you should have a baby shower for every child? Isn't one for the first one enough?

I know... it's not like anyone would be asking where I'm NOT at is it? :)

The worst one surely has to be those that use brought instead of bought when referring to buying something.
That one definitely deserves a punch in the mouth!!!

Whilst we're bashing Americans...

What on earth does "I could care less" mean?

Steve.

Whilst we're bashing Americans...

What on earth does "I could care less" mean?

Steve.

There is poor grammar in use both in the US and the UK, but as you noted the examples may slightly vary. I see lots of examples in this forum such as right vs write, etc.

Back