Great British Bake Off & the BBC

This is what happens when the BBC buy in their programming from outside production companies, they are at that companies bidding.
Of course private investment (Outsourcing) is "All good"* in the eyes of the BBC's paymasters.
^ that

There was a time when the BBC would take a risk on producing rather than commissioning programmes,other than the wildlife and news units I'm not sure how much else is now done in-house? The end result is that the BBC builds up programme brands to see them move on/sold off for another organisations benefit.

The alternative model is Channel 4, a public broadcaster that produces (and commissions) programming and films, supports itself with a combination of the income from the projects it supports and advertising. And it turns a profit. Of course the government would now like to privatise it. Doh! :(

The BBC needs to accept that it does not need to be popular, it doesn't need to be always chasing the lowest common denominator for the highest audience figure.

^ that

There was a time when the BBC would take a risk on producing rather than commissioning programmes,other than the wildlife and news units I'm not sure how much else is now done in-house? The end result is that the BBC builds up programme brands to see them move on/sold off for another organisations benefit.

The alternative model is Channel 4, a public broadcaster that produces (and commissions) programming and films, supports itself with a combination of the income from the projects it supports and advertising. And it turns a profit. Of course the government would now like to privatise it. Doh! :(

The BBC needs to accept that it does not need to be popular, it doesn't need to be always chasing the lowest common denominator for the highest audience figure.
You seem to forget that the government forced the BBC to buy in a certain proportion of programs. At the time a number of successful programs (Gardeners World for example) were hived off as private productions and still remain so.

You seem to forget that the government forced the BBC to buy in a certain proportion of programs. At the time a number of successful programs (Gardeners World for example) were hived off as private productions and still remain so.
I don't forget it, I just disagree with the decision to make them do it and the outcome that resulted.

No it isn't. You might as well tell someone who watches F1 that it's just someone driving a car.
Erm . .yes it is! I don't watch all sorts of things but that doesn't mean they are rubbish. I find F1 boring and so it is not on my screen. I can't stand boxing. I don't like period drama so I don't switch it on. I don't feel forced to watch anything and am fortunate to be able to put things in the sky planner and watch it when I want to. The BBC gets criticised for just about everything; having been away a bit recently, I can't imagine a world where all we have is advertised based television..long live the BBC!

Last edited:
It is being reported that C4 can't broadcast GBBO until 2018 due to clauses in Love/BBC contract. This sholuld please both those here who hate it and those who want it on the Beeb only as it will probably die the death while not on air.
You can see why Love don't care if it is a success on C4 or not - they are getting about 5 times as much money from C4 so they will still be quids in if it loses popularity;-(

I had no idea that Channel 4 was a public broadcaster, I've always thought it was private and paid for by advertising! You learn something new everyday!

I had no idea that Channel 4 was a public broadcaster, I've always thought it was private and paid for by advertising! You learn something new everyday!
It was private, it is paid by advertising (and partly by licence fee I think) and is run by the Ministry of Fun (DCMS).

about people rising to a challenge
Dough! :D

It's not a matter of being forced but conditioned, if bake off in the jungle on skates is all you ever get to see it becomes all you expect to see.
My point exactly!

I prefer watching it over watching some blokes run on a field after a ball and then once they got it they kick it or loose it. I really don't understand how anyone find that enjoyable. But hey if they like that that is fine, I would not resort to calling them names for it.
You mean like 22 millionaires running around in their underwear for a couple of hours, chasing a bag'o wind? :p

I read that Paul & Mary aren't happy (Not sure about Peter. :)) Mary doesn't strike me as a Channel 4 sort of person.
They could always form a pop group!
... Oh wait that's been done hasn't it? :D

I watch iplayer on my tablet and I haven't been asked if I have a licence.
I'm pretty sure that was to catch the students, as they return from the summer break.
And "they know" who has a licence and who doesn't.
Not sure if one of them there detector vans ( do they still exist?) are capable of picking up an iPad etc. though?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that was to catch the students, as they return from the summer break.
And "they know" who has a licence and who doesn't.
Not sure if one of them there detector vans ( do they still exist?) are capable of picking up an iPad etc. though?
Students in digs are covered by their parents' TV licence if they use their device (not TV) to watch TV content when it's not on mains charge.

Students in digs are covered by their parents' TV licence if they use their device (not TV) to watch TV content when it's not on mains charge.
Blimey! talk about complicated!
:D
( fairy nuff btw I didn't know any of that)

The second they watch on mains charge or non battery charged device they are liable to stump up for their own licence. :)

The second they watch on mains charge or non battery charged device they are liable to stump up for their own licence. :)
Crafty buggers ;)

Think about it like this, if you hitch up your CI Sprite caravan to the back of your car and go off and park it in a field with no electricity somewhere, then get out the 12 volt black and white portable TV and tune it in to the local station on the dial, you don't need to buy a licence for the field you're watching it in, you are covered by your home licence.

Same principle, battery powered TVs covered by the home licence.

Try thinking that through. ;)

I'll help, idiots think that anything they see as 'public money' should never pay managers a decent salary.

But in te private sector, the market should be free to drive salaries up.

How do you suggest good managers are maintained by government, the BBC etc?
I agree with your theory Phil, problem is they too often pay high salaries to people who are beyond their level of competence but went to the right school/uni.

I agree with your theory Phil, problem is they too often pay high salaries to people who are beyond their level of competence but went to the right school/uni.
As do many financial institutions and corporations. That's a problem endemic in society not just the BBC. But if we want to examine 'privilege', who's the non-executive chairman of Sky TV? Is there any chance that a perfectly talented comprehensive school educated girl could get that job?

Just for anyone who doesn't know and is too lazy to look it up - it's James Murdoch - who doesn't have have his dads business sense, but still has megalomaniac tendencies.

The Register has a poll for new presenters if any here are interested. Contestants are:
  • Jeremy Corbyn and David Cameron
  • Nigel Farage and Jean Claude Juncker
  • Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola
  • Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates
  • Simon Cowell and Cheryl Cole
  • Jeremy Clarkson and/or Richard Hammond/James May
  • Jacob William Rees-Mogg MP and his nanny
  • The Larries Ellison and Page
These are all excellent and practical suggestions. I'm voting for Res Mogg and hoping the nanny is of the goat variety.
See: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/15/bake_off_new_duo_poll/

Think about it like this, if you hitch up your CI Sprite caravan to the back of your car and go off and park it in a field with no electricity somewhere, then get out the 12 volt black and white portable TV and tune it in to the local station on the dial, you don't need to buy a licence for the field you're watching it in, you are covered by your home licence.

Same principle, battery powered TVs covered by the home licence.
Bugger! now I have to buy a caravan too? :(

That's exactly what we used to do, 75ah leisure battery lasted for at least a week for reading lights, water pump and 30 minutes TV a night (usually news and weather)
Cooker, fridge, main lights and heater worked on gas, all we needed was a tap and chemical toilet disposal point.

Had some great holidays when our daughter was young in some lovely places for next to nothing a night, happy days indeed

Greedy scouser Paul Hollywood is following the money rather than any loyalty to a cooperation that have nurtured and bought him fame from obscurity.
I wouldn't mind betting he wouldn't be anywhere near racing Aston Martins without the exposure he has had from the BBC and the show.

Greedy scouser Paul Hollywood is following the money rather than any loyalty to a cooperation that have nurtured and bought him fame from obscurity.
I wouldn't mind betting he wouldn't be anywhere near racing Aston Martins without the exposure he has had from the BBC and the show.

Most of us would do the same imo

Surely the people who've brought them fame and exposure are the people who made the show?

What about Berry?
I like Mary Berry, she cooks lovely meals and meals that I could cook, when she puts up the ingredients I actually have most of them in my cupboards for a change. Her own kitchen is nice and homely:), I like the wallpaper she has over the aga.

Twaddle.
Can't blame him for doing the best thing for himself.
Clearly he's not under contract to the BBC.

He's done alright out of the BBC and Bake off, so much that he was able to launch a motor racing career off the back of it.
I just think it looks greedy when Mary, Mel and Sue quite clearly made a point of not following the show and standing by the BBC.

Can't blame him, well no I guess I can't. He's signed a 3 year contract with C4 but imo he now looks a tad greedy.

I cannot believe that GBBO is headline news, the leading story on the 2 o'clock news on radio 2 and a lead story on Ch5's 5 o'clock news, for heavens sake it is just a bloody programme about some numpties making cakes.

I cannot believe that GBBO is headline news, the leading story on the 2 o'clock news on radio 2 and a lead story on Ch5's 5 o'clock news, for heavens sake it is just a bloody programme about some numpties making cakes.
It has the biggest regular audience on the Beeb but more importantly, and surprisingly, it's very popular with younger people. No doubt that is the reason for all the disbelief expressed by the old farts on here

I look forward to seeing "Mr Kiplings bake off with Paul Hollywood" but even more to "Mary, Mel and Sue's Soggy Bottoms" .. or maybe not.

Back