Has anyone ever been discouraged from bringing a camera on trips?

Edit My Images
Yes
When my stepdad and I went to Spain with his mum and cousin, he told me over and over not to bring any cameras or anything that wasn't essential clothes due to pickpocketing. In my mission to not buy into his fear mongering, brought my grandfather's old Nikon SLR camera (He gave it to me to use and I've taken some amazing pictures on it, if I say so myself), my Instax mini 8, a digital point and shoot, and of course, my phone. My stepdad was convinced my phone took way better pictures, but I try to explain to him that no professional photographer will use a phone picture for a portfolio.

Same thing happened when I was going to England in December. He said not to bring cameras and to only use my phone for picture taking. He also thinks photography isn't a job, but that's another topic on its own. I brought the Nikon SLR, a Nikon 35mm point and shoot, my digital point and shoot, and my phone. I used my phone for social media pictures, but I used the SLR and 35mm cameras for pictures that went in a photo album.

Simple answer nope.

I've taken cameras all over Europe, Malta and Greece many times. I think to myself that if I get mugged or my kit is stolen then my insurance specifically includes use away from home. Fortunately for my insurance companies I've never needed to claim.

Nor me. That’s what insurance is for. I always take a good camera (flash, tripod....) and people are generally very happy to have some good pictures to remember the trip. I’d suggest making sure your insurance covers you then take what you need. Have fun :)

I had a trip to Spain last year, Gerona, not far from Barcelona. I had the same worries about taking an expensive camera with me.

There was no problem, of course you have be reasonably street wise. A pick pocket is more likely to steal your phone that a larger camera anyway.

As lemo said, fear will ruin any enjoyment the trip will bring. Be bold and wise.............(and insured!)

I take my camera when I go abroad, it is a Nikon D810 with, usually, a 24-70mm lens. If I didn't take it with me then it would be a very expensive ornament to leave on the shelf at home. If you don't take it with you then why buy it? That's the way I think.

I take my camera when I go abroad, it is a Nikon D810 with, usually, a 24-70mm lens. If I didn't take it with me then it would be a very expensive ornament to leave on the shelf at home. If you don't take it with you then why buy it? That's the way I think.

I think he either thinks I should just not have cameras other than on my phone or I should only use the fancy cameras at home, in a city I know. (He somehow believes Ottawa doesn't have pickpockets and street robbers, but my friend said her sister had her purse snatched downtown.)

There is risk wherever you live or travel to, it about understanding the risk and to not look or behave like as easy target. Unfortunately it seems that females of whatever age can be seen as vulnerable.

I surmise your family are just expressing their concerns about "their little girl"..........but you don't become streetwise by not taking low level safe risks.

FWIW smartphones are valuable and change snatched quickly by a thief on a motorbike.

Oh, don't forget in some countries & cultures westerners are seen as rich and hence a target just because they are what they are.

Lastly, IMO don't carry lots of gear......because you will spend too much time sorting your gear out for 'that shot'. Keep it simple and unless using it keep it in bag. Messenger style bags can be good and not always look like they contain expensive stuff. I recall someone suggesting a nappy/babies essentials bag, in which you place a camera bag insert......so well protected in more ways than one ;)

PS as per the advice when using an ATM be fully aware of who is nearby!

Last edited:
You are far more likely to have a phone stolen out of your hand than a camera because a phone won't have a strap and can easily slip out of your hand. It's happen to dozens of my colleagues who are targeted outside on the street while they are using their phone. I've never known anyone have a camera stolen out of their hand like that. You're also quite likely to have your phone stolen when you're using it (even more so if you have headphones on) because you're distracted and not aware of what's going on around you.
Be sensible, keep it on a strap, put it into a case/bag that isn't labelled Canon/Nikon/Sony/etc or obviously a camera bag and just be aware.
Apart from that, you should always have travel insurance to cover you while away and the camera should be insured anyway (unless it's not worth much).

I've had my wife try to persuade me not to take a camera on day trips but that's more because she doesn't want me spending ages taking photos than being worried about it being stolen. ;)

yeah, I kinda wonder if fear of theft is the real reason he doesn't want you to pack loads of cameras.
I mean, often I will put a weight limit on clothing of say 15kg when 25 would be fine, in the hope that she will leave with less than 50....lol
mebbe there's something like that going on, I dunno, seems a bit overly cautious, still...its one less thing to worry about looking after s'pose.
I take what I want regardless of the risk, limited only by the logistics and comfort of carrying it, what's the point of owning it otherwise.

I would also take my camera when I go abroad, Nikon D750, usually with my 24-70mm & 70-200 and flash, filters etc.

All goes in hand luggage with the exception of my tripod which I tend to find room in my suitcase for.

Not worried too much about theft as like previous posters have said that's what insurance is for.

Biggest chore is going through security and having my meticulously packed hand luggage inspected :(

Only by myself! If I take a piece of kit on holiday and don't use it, it gets left behind for the next one. Not worried about personal security as far as it making a difference to what I take, I just take the same sort of precautions as I do here.

I've never had any issues travelling in and around Europe - especially to tourist friendly cities and areas. I have been self conscious when travelling through more deprived and run down areas, and perhaps poorer parts of Eastern Europe - requires a bit of common sense and being aware of surroundings.

When my stepdad and I went to Spain with his mum and cousin, he told me over and over not to bring any cameras or anything that wasn't essential clothes due to pickpocketing. In my mission to not buy into his fear mongering, brought my grandfather's old Nikon SLR camera (He gave it to me to use and I've taken some amazing pictures on it, if I say so myself), my Instax mini 8, a digital point and shoot, and of course, my phone. My stepdad was convinced my phone took way better pictures, but I try to explain to him that no professional photographer will use a phone picture for a portfolio.

Same thing happened when I was going to England in December. He said not to bring cameras and to only use my phone for picture taking. He also thinks photography isn't a job, but that's another topic on its own. I brought the Nikon SLR, a Nikon 35mm point and shoot, my digital point and shoot, and my phone. I used my phone for social media pictures, but I used the SLR and 35mm cameras for pictures that went in a photo album.
A few years ago, we went to the Canary Islands. I took a big old Nikon D80 DSLR, and a big old 28-300mm lens with me. Pretty difficult, to pick pocket that clumpy old set up off me. Besides, a robber would get a smack over the head with my camera. I did not let anyone get close to me, only the missus. :)

The only time I've ever felt uncomfortable carrying my gear was in Luxor Egypt 1994-5 , I'd gone out on my own at night with my SLR and tripod, it was getting quite late when this guy approached me trying to show me a better spot getting hold of my arm trying to pull me towards somewhere that was quite dark.

I made it clear i wasn't going but he was insistent and starting to get a bit annoyed so he got told where to go in a way that made it very clear I wasn't going, he may have been trying to take me somewhere else for some cash in hand for finding me a better spot but I wasn't getting dragged off into the dark to find out

I have always considered worrying about such things a waste of valuable (and in my case, seriously limited in quantity) imagination

Maybe he just didn't want you spending all of your holiday taking photographs?

There is a lot to be said for being apart of everything rather than just documenting it.

Between me and my wife at the moment we have 6 x full frame Nikon camera bodies, 1 x Sony full frame body and more than 15k worth of lenses. When travelling which I have done a lot especially over the last few years unless I am going on a paid job everything stays at home. Usually find my phone is enough for most things when on holiday although I did take an A6000 and a couple of lenses to Disney World and to Cambodia but even found that to be a pain in the bum.

I have no reason to think that where the OP lives -Ottawa - is any more or less crime prone than any other city in the world.

To me it's just a case of being aware, and not flaunting one's camera kit at any time (or any other attractive property for that matter), since criminals can strike anywhere, any time.

Also, try to not look like a tourist!!

I have no reason to think that where the OP lives -Ottawa - is any more or less crime prone than any other city in the world.

To me it's just a case of being aware, and not flaunting one's camera kit at any time (or any other attractive property for that matter), since criminals can strike anywhere, any time.

I tend to like dressing down, even as far as a scruff and unshaven. No one would want to come near me then. My missus hates me looking like that. :)

I tend to like dressing down, even as far as a scruff and unshaven. No one would want to come near me then. My missus hates me looking like that. :)

I’ve sometimes stuck a few bits of gaffer tape etc on the camera and lens to give it a well worn and scratched up look and use the plain camera straps (not the ones that advertise the exact model)

Only crime we have is someone stealing ice blocks from your igloo. :D

Joking aside, Canada as a whole doesn't have a very high crime rate. I have felt unsafe at night, but nothing more than I would in any other city or country. And I don't carry around cameras at night when I'm alone.

Lots of suggestions not to take my camera (big old DSLR) to Barcelona, but I did anyway and no problems (for me!); I was on two separate occasions over the weekend offered carrier bags full of camera gear from strangers on the street, something that has never happened anywhere else, so I assume at least part of the reputation for street robbery is deserved.

I have a beat up (deliberately so) Fuji X100T when I'm not that sure about the area I'm going in - it's amazing what a bit of sandpaper and gaffa tape can do to the look of a camera :)

I read this a bit different and would have to say that yes, my wife and kids now groan when they see the camera rucksack coming out with us.

I now try to just have separate photography days by myself or if we are on holiday restrict it to certain times etc to keep everyone happy

I'm far happier keeping my photography time to myself and not being with others who are trying to rush me along

Have to say though that my iPhone takes great holiday pictures and they don't even think I am Doing Photograpy when I use it lol

I've been in Barcelona for two weeks and was walking around with my Canon 5D III and 3 expensive lenses, even at night. I'm carrying my stuff in a Mindshift Rotation Pro (no access from outside when carrying) and the camera dangled on a Sun-Sniper, which has a steel string inside, so it cannot be cut off with a knife.

The Mindshift is expensive, yes, but there are smaller ones, which are less expensive. It's a great system, I love it, not only for the city, but mostly for the mountains. :)

I once took two DSLRs and a few lenses away with me, and a little Compact. I spent too much time worrying, what body and lens combination to use. I always ended up, just grabbing the Compact. Don't think I would ever bother carting a DSLR away with me again. I will opt for a good quality Compact, so it can be discreetly trucked away, from sneaky hands.

I can see his fear, which is presumably genuine concern for you, but you can take your own decisions. Just make sure you are insured.

Probably the most concerning place I ever went was the heart of NYC Docklands, but even that was unfounded.

I am sure there are dubious locations in all cities, plus the snatch thieves on mopeds who will grab any bag or valuable item etc including jewellery as they fly by.

Also beware of those who stop and talk on a seemingly innocent basis. You wont realise your money and valuables have gone until they are well away.

Barcelona, Madrid, Malta, Prague, multiple Greek Islands, the Balearic's, Ottawa, Croatia, Montenegro, the Algarve on a number of occasions. The 'big' camera always comes with me, and always comes out with me. This has ranged from a Canon 350D (my first DSLR) to my current 5D mk IV. What's the point of having it and not using it?

My advice would be the following; (excuse the bullet points, I use them so often at work my brain now works in lists)
  • Do a bit of research before hand for specific areas to avoid and local scams (I've rarely hit on anything of concern though).
  • Don't take loads of gear that might distract you and make you vulnerable e.g. multiple lens etc. I generally take my 24-105 but next time it will be the 24-70.
  • Get yourself a camera bag that doesn't stand out as a camera bag.
  • Consider a wrist strap. Op/Tech, Peak Design etc. If someone does try a grab your going to have a second chance.
  • Make sure your kit is insured. It's 'stuff' after all. If you find yourself in a bad situation let them have it, it can be replaced.
Most importantly though, don't live in fear. The vast majority of people I come across on my travels are really nice, some grumpy buggers but they are universal and everyone is entitled to bad days. There are also some bad guys but just like at home they are few and far between.

You take what you need and what you want to take. It's your life and your decisions.

As always insurance and some common sense are always good idea. In all fairness those shiny new Samsung and apple phones now attract lots more thieves.

I tend to mainly take a decent camera with me.

Went skiing to Bulgaria a few years ago and took the 5D mk 1 and 24-105. I also bought a waterproof robust little compact for actually going on the mountains/skiiing as I expected to fall a lot - 1st time skiing. I soon ended up taking the 5D up the mountains as the views were so great - all worked out well with camera wrapped in a couple of scarves in a small rucksack when not in use.

When out and about in other places, I use a Blackrapid strap (so no camera branding - just black), which goes diagonally over my neck/shoulder. The camera hangs by my side upside down (attaches via tripod bush), and naturally sits underneath one side of my jacket ( normally put the camera on first, then a jacket/coat on top, so you can't even see the strap). It's really handy and accessible to pick up and use, but when not in the hand is very unobtrusive, so doesn't tend to attract any attention at all.

Been to Amsterdam a couple of times recently - the first time, I just took the Canon EOS-M, but 2nd time decided to take the 5D mk3, and had far more fun, also got much better photos.

If I go on holiday I take my canon G11, it's good enough for holiday snaps.SWIMBO is a happy snapper. If I took my dslr I would also want to take my tripod and filters and all my lenses and other bits and bobs that go with it and it would spoil my holiday as I would want to take my time taking the photos, snaps are good enough to remember the holiday. I have no worries about security normally. It also saves on the weight allowance when flying and having to cart it all around the airports etc. I go on holiday to relax.

Pete

I think you hit the nail on the head here. It seems like he's being WAY overly cautious. At the end of the day, what's the point having cameras if you can't use them? Pick a camera, don't take loads of extras and find a standard looking messenger bag or similar to put it in. I use a Polish Army 'bread bag' worn across the body, which is small enough to tuck under your arm or pull round the front of you if you go anywhere busy or slightly seedy. Just follow your common sense and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I never travel without a camera, for shorter trips i.e weekend breaks I try to limit it to a smaller body and a zoom or two. Sometimes I just bring my Fuji X70. Last year I was in Barcelona 4 times and I've never had an issue, as other people have said, be careful and vigilant, and be insured.

As has been muted a few times, I have OFTEN been discouraged from taking a camera anywhere... usually by family who a) don't want me taking photo's of them b) holding them up while I mess with lenses..... though I do insisting on reading all the info-boards so I may know what I'm looking at anyway, so still do whether I have a camera or not!

What stands out in your OP though is your devotion to film cameras.... which is laudable, B-U-T.... they have always demanded a shed load of user-involvement.. and compared to current generation of click & go widgetals, ever so much more so.

On a family holiday or day trip, I would be very sanguine about lugging one of the film SLR's about with me.... more all the necessary film! Whey-Back-When, I spent five weeks trecking around India.... in them days you could pick up film at any tourist kiosk.... but to be assured of film, and of a decent quality, I think I took something like 25-rolls with me.. approx half-a-roll a day! I think the film used more space in my baggage then my cloths! Certainly more than the cameras! and, yup.... lots of time spent 'faffing' with the camera NOT seeing stuff!

These days, the number of shots you can get on a couple of SD cards, would certainly make the idea of lugging that weight and volume of picture-making-paraphernalia around, then the IQ & versatility of even a smart-phone vs that of a DSLR would make it a very much harder argument, to justify packing the film-loaded big-guns! Especially for an extended trip anywhere.

Theft? Well, coming from maple-muncher-land, I can empathize.... its a rather insular and paranoid country, and anywhere there's more people than trees can seem rather scary.... but Theft? Of all the risks of travel, especially of easily grabbed high-value items, it probably is relatively high on the list... but it's far too easy to ramp everything on the list right up the rankings and over-estimate how likely it is.

Fear has a habit of doping this, whether you are considering carrying a camera through a shopping-mall, or riding a motorbike in the mountains, or parking a posh car in the street... but remember, MOST accidents and thefts, actually happen in the home! You are, actually safer when out and about, than in your own bed! But you 'feel' a heck of a lot more vulnerable! And common sense, can go a long way... (even though it's a bit of a rarity in a lot of the world, I've found, but peculiarly more so on the North-American Continent... although since most of my forreys there have been with my Knook Father, who single-handedly, probably brings the continental average down an awful lot, probably doesn't help! Lol....He's a retired college prof.... "Any-one seen my glasses?"... if not on his bald spot, he'd probably sat on them.... I got VERY good at fixing rim-less spectacles with fishing line and a pack of motel-matches, in my teens... between putting out fires in holiday chalets and stuff, I can tell you! Lol! But still!)

Basically there's a good argument both ways; and some-where in-between lies the happy-medium. A lot of camera gear and some-one more engaged with messing with that can make a trip an utter pain for others on the journey, as well as camera-geek lugging it about, actually hampered by so much 'stuff' not getting photo's with it, and some-one with a consumer camera-phone or compact, can get as many or more 'as good' or 'better' shots with that for a lot less faff and hassle. BUT all comes down to that common sense thing, and putting things into proper perspective, weighing stuff up on facts not fears, and applying common sense.

Back