HELP!! An important folder on my server has gone missing ... sort of

But are you taking the last/most current USB drive out of the house every time you leave plus is it in the 'flee the house' grab bag if you need to leave the house in an emergency...............IMO all your precautions would be for nowt if the one off site is not a very current backup!
If it's a choice between losing everything from the last 15 years or so apart from the last few weeks or losing everything completely, I know which option I'd rather go for, not exactly what I'd call "for nowt" but each to their own. We're talking personal stuff here, not mission critical business stuff and my process is most certainly overkill compared to backing up stuff on a CD or a USB stick like most people do ;)

Last edited:
But are you taking the last/most current USB drive out of the house every time you leave
If you have a fibre connection (as you need the upload bandwidth), you really should have offsite to one of the online providers. I've not needed to use mine yet (although I have tested it!) but I must have over a terabyte online now what with versioned backups. Every 2 days it backs up my backups (which are double backed up here at the house). Provider is Iron Mountain (although I am through a reseller) and the backup server is UK based.

If you have a fibre connection (as you need the upload bandwidth), you really should have offsite to one of the online providers. I've not needed to use mine yet (although I have tested it!) but I must have over a terabyte online now what with versioned backups. Every 2 days it backs up my backups (which are double backed up here at the house). Provider is Iron Mountain (although I am through a reseller) and the backup server is UK based.

Depends how precious you are about that data. And whether there's anything in it which could be deemed potentially incriminating.
But I suppose that sounds a bit like not trusting banks and keeping cash stashed under the mattress :)

Depends how precious you are about that data. And whether there's anything in it which could be deemed potentially incriminating.
If you have data which is that incriminating, you will be PGPing it on your disc anyway. When it is backed up, it will (or at least it should if you choose your provider well) be encrypted again. Back doors aside, it would take a lot of finding amongst everything else as even if they had access to a master key on the server so they can read what you have uploaded, they'd still have to break the PGP (or GPG if you use the open source version) keys which would take an awfully long time - especially if you've chosen a long key length.

Not that I'm advocating people do illegal things, just I work on (commercially) sensitive data so need a pretty secure environment so deal with these tools on a day-to-day basis.

Having said that if you need to be that sensitive about your data, you'll also house your computer in a locked room, inside a Faraday cage so people can't snoop what your doing by the EM radiation the system emits and also have it on a network that can't physically be connected to the outside world (and yes, I do know companies that have this setup).....

If it's a choice between losing everything from the last 15 years or so apart from the last few weeks or losing everything completely, I know which option I'd rather go for, not exactly what I'd call "for nowt" but each to their own. We're talking personal stuff here, not mission critical business stuff and my process is most certainly overkill compared to backing up stuff on a CD or a USB stick like most people do ;)

OK point taken and as you say/infer it is a personal choice as to what 'level' to take it to.

When I get FTTC (it is now in my street) I would give serious consideration to adding an online backup service into the mix. Is the software your own choice (if so which?) or the one provided by Iron Mountain?

I think you're using Windows Home Server, aren't you? If so, why aren't you using the excellent built in server backup function?

If you have data which is that incriminating, you will be PGPing it on your disc anyway. When it is backed up, it will (or at least it should if you choose your provider well) be encrypted again. Back doors aside, it would take a lot of finding amongst everything else as even if they had access to a master key on the server so they can read what you have uploaded, they'd still have to break the PGP (or GPG if you use the open source version) keys which would take an awfully long time - especially if you've chosen a long key length.

Not that I'm advocating people do illegal things, just I work on (commercially) sensitive data so need a pretty secure environment so deal with these tools on a day-to-day basis.

I was honestly being a little tongue-in-cheek.
I'll be looking at an on-line back-up solution once my infrastructure at home is sorted out.

Is the software your own choice (if so which?) or the one provided by Iron Mountain?
Actually, I think the software is Iron Mountain's and powered by "Autonomy - an HP company". It is branded Backup Solutions though

Back