Help buying a tripod

Edit My Images
No
I'm looking for a tripod, mostly to attach my Bronica SQ while I do some still life shots. I've been Googling and trawling through Amazon this afternoon and the sheer number of them available is bewildering. I have no idea what I should be looking for and whether they will be up to the job. Lightness isn't the main consideration as I'll generally be using it in and around the house. It needs to be able to lock the SQ in place securely and be able to hold it in a vertical (lens downward) position so I can take shots of items laid out on the floor.

Any pointers or recommendations?

Just done the same as you. It's unbelievable how many model each make has! What is your budget that people can give you better help?

I've just selecting one for my christmas list so can't tell you how good it is yet as I haven't seen it but I've done quiet a long internet search and finally decided on the vanguard pro alta 263at (find for 104euros on a French website it seems a bit more expensive in the uk)

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-vanguard-alta-pro-263at-aluminium-tripod/p1521407

I choose this one because of:
-feat in my 100euro budget (almost)
-column which rotates in all sort of direction
-legs that open to very wide
-legs extention that secure with leavers which I prefer to the one that have round bit to turn.
-review say it's good value

A bit long, longer than 4 section leg and a little heavy no carbon legs... But I hope it will be good!

I've been using this for the last 18m with both the RB and my 54 its been pretty faultless. Only annoyance is the telescoping adjustments are on the bottom of the legs so when you extend the thickest leg you need to muck around at ground level if you need to extend the others. Not a big deal, and no problem at all with a wlf but on the 54 and with an eye level finder and you need to make it taller.

https://www.calphoto.co.uk/product/calumet-7300-tripod-with-three-way-quick-release-head/CK7316/

Last edited:
I believe Mr Hooley will be along in a minute to recommend his tripod, which I believe is made from cast off bits of the Eiffel Tower held together with titanium bonded elastic...

TBH I had the same problem a few years ago and ended with a blend of Redsnapper legs with a Velbon head. Its not perfect by any means but it is quite robust and still relatively light.

I've been using this for the last 18m with both the RB and my 54 its been pretty faultless. Only annoyance is the telescoping adjustments are on the bottom of the legs so when you extend the thickest leg you need to muck around at ground level if you need to extend the others. Not a big deal, and no problem at all with a wlf but on the 54 and with an eye level finder and you need to make it taller.

https://www.calphoto.co.uk/product/calumet-7300-tripod-with-three-way-quick-release-head/CK7316/

That looks like a fine thing indeed especially for the price.

I was looking at ones around the £100 mark. I found a few Giottos ones on eBay, but have no idea whether they will be any good or overkill for what I need etc.

The Vanguard one looks good for the vertical shots, but the web site doesn't say what kind of weight it will hold. Also, I assume the head is separate?

Tripod newbie question: are the heads and legs interchangeable? I.e. from different manufacturers? I stupidly assumed tripods are one 'thing', but now realise it's two bits I need to worry about! LOL

I expect they're interchangeable between manufacturers models but I'd not be sure between companies. I believe calumet and manfroto are however. I'm thinking of getting carbon legs and keeping the current head for the time being to save an easy kilo.

Tripod newbie question: are the heads and legs interchangeable? I.e. from different manufacturers? I stupidly assumed tripods are one 'thing', but now realise it's two bits I need to worry about! LOL

I bought one of those 2nd-hand from another forum and it's done the job with allsorts of different cameras, from a D80, through a variety of medium format cameras to a Canon XL1 DV camera. It's not the lightest or smallest tripod in the world but it's coped with everything I've thrown at it and for £60 I'm not complaining, I haven't used the 3-way head with it much as I prefer either the geared head for 4x5 cameras or a ball and socket head for the smaller stuf.

I bought one of those 2nd-hand from another forum and it's done the job with allsorts of different cameras, from a D80, through a variety of medium format cameras to a Canon XL1 DV camera. It's not the lightest or smallest tripod in the world but it's coped with everything I've thrown at it and for £60 I'm not complaining, I haven't used the 3-way head with it much as I prefer either the geared head for 4x5 cameras or a ball and socket head for the smaller stuf.

Does a ball socket work with the RB? I've not really used any better heads than the 3 way but it seems fine to me.

Okay, another question: ball socket head or the three way? Any significant advantages/disadvantages?

I'd guess ball socket heads could be hard going with a heavy camera like the RB. And as far as I know most tripods come with 3/8" threads and most heads take the same size. Some have 1/4" threads however... but you can get 1/4 to 3/8 thread converters for a few quid off the evil bay.

ive got a redsnapper i need to sell, its the 283 one i think, comes with lovely bag and all the bits, near perfect condition, you just need a head, but i could maybe chuck in a 3 way head
its robust and solid :)

Mod edit.
The classifieds is the place to sell (y)

If I can't find anything on here or eBay, I think I may go for that Calumet one.

Dunno if it's the best tripod (it's very heavy) but I've used my Slik 67 erm says "prototype" on the side :confused:, for about 30 years especially for my RB...I've seen it go quite cheap at times either on gumtree or the bay.

When I went shopping for a tripod I approached it with the same brief as finding the perfect woman....

Dependable, stable, light enough to throw around a bit but strong enough to take it, good head & legs that open without too much faffing, slender as possible & pleasant on the eye, and most importantly....will stay where you left it & not disappear!

And yes I found it online (sign of the times but we'll see how we get on).

I have recently bought this for £129 inc p+p inc the Ball Head.
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/tr...-aluminium-tripod-with-sbh-100-ball-head.html

It was delivered next day!

the main specs are, Vanguard Alta Pro 263 Legs Specification: Extended height: 177.5cm. Minimum Extended Height: 146.5cm. Folded height: 72.5cm.
Weight: 2.45kg. Combined weight of both pod & head. Maximum loading capacity: 7kg of pod & 10kg of head.
It's better to have a good weight capacity with a head as it needs to grip firmly.

I use mine with a Canon 1D MKIV & Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 which combined weighs just under 5kg & it doesn't budge.

The Tilt Pan Head version is £119 inc p+p
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/tr...3ap-aluminium-tripod-with-ph-32-pan-head.html

Here is the Vanguard site direct info for the pod & head seperate.
http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/cs/products/photo-video/detail-1-4-15-88.html (pod)
http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/pv/products/detail-1-4-23-144.html (head)

What I really like is the center columns ability to angle from 0-180 degrees & anywhere in between.
The head has quick release & a safety catch in case you forgot to tighten the knob!
Plus it comes with two plates so you can have a second camera 'plate ready' or simply a spare, plus a tool for tightening the plate & a carry bag.
The feet also can be screwed up a little to expose spikes.

As to Carbon fiber pods, I have seen & read about these being very strong until they fall over, when the have shattered or just crack & you don't know it has cracked
& still use them thinking they are okay!!!!

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/tr...-aluminium-tripod-with-sbh-100-ball-head.html

It was delivered next day!

the main specs are, Vanguard Alta Pro 263 Legs Specification: Extended height: 177.5cm. Minimum Extended Height: 146.5cm. Folded height: 72.5cm.
Weight: 2.45kg. Combined weight of both pod & head. Maximum loading capacity: 7kg of pod & 10kg of head.
It's better to have a good weight capacity with a head as it needs to grip firmly.

I use mine with a Canon 1D MKIV & Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 which combined weighs just under 5kg & it doesn't budge.

The Tilt Pan Head version is £119 inc p+p
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/tr...3ap-aluminium-tripod-with-ph-32-pan-head.html

Here is the Vanguard site direct info for the pod & head seperate.
http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/cs/products/photo-video/detail-1-4-15-88.html (pod)
http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/pv/products/detail-1-4-23-144.html (head)

What I really like is the center columns ability to angle from 0-180 degrees & anywhere in between.
The head has quick release & a safety catch in case you forgot to tighten the knob!
Plus it comes with two plates so you can have a second camera 'plate ready' or simply a spare, plus a tool for tightening the plate & a carry bag.
The feet also can be screwed up a little to expose spikes.

As to Carbon fiber pods, I have seen & read about these being very strong until they fall over, when the have shattered or just crack & you don't know it has cracked
& still use them thinking they are okay!!!!

Thanks Simon, I've bookmarked that one.

Just a pointer I have had both pan & tilt and ball head.
Of which I very much favour the ball head style.
Not sure if you have experience with either & kindly suggest you try both.

My reasons for the ball head over the pan & tilt are it can be used in any direction with the one hand holding the camera whilst the second hand can keep hold of the tightening/friction knob to aid security & final position.
Whereas the pan & tilt I have used before needed to have the friction/tightening handle to be twisted whilst it is also the same lever that is used to either pan or tilt.
And that is the main reason I use a ball head in that the pan & tilt have at least two seperate handles/levers to operate the position, forgetting about the 360 degree turning as the ball head is no different (generally).

Thanks for the tip Simon. I hadn't considered the type of head at all. Is one more secure than the other or able to position the camera into a wider range of positions? I need it to be able to hold the camera so the lens is pointed vertically down at the floor for an extended period.

People either love them or hate them but the Octopus might suit you if it doesn't drive you nuts they can be highly versatile especailly for your intended purpose.

I managed to find a second hand octopus at LCE Southampton & it was the most awkward thing I have ever tried.
A finger trapping device is what it should be called, & so did others on a few reviews I later found.
It does the same angle adjustments the Vanguard can but has a single lever locking system that makes you wish you were an octopus because you need 8 hands to operate it.
The Vanguard has also as does the octopus a hook to hang your kit bag to weigh down the pod if needed.
abbandon's comment about driving you nuts is apt for sure regards the octopus...

I have the baby octopus aka trekker about the hardest thing is wrestling it back into its bag, it can on occassion be very usefull when you want to do something strange and unusual with it certainly getting the camera in the right place for macros and the like but for more standard tripod use its just a nuisance.

I have the vanguard alto pro, its a good budget tripod.
I'm going to buy a Giottos from wex. £130ish +10% off until 22 Dec. Bloody cheap for a carbon tripod

I have a really ancient Vanguard, bought for £5 in a charity shop, now with a Manfrotto ball head on it. Using it today to try to get some shots vertically downwards has made me realise I do need something better, with a central column that can be angled laterally so I don't get the tripod feet in the frame.

Guess it will cost me a serious multiple of £5 though!

The Benbo actually was a serious sugestion as there are few easier tripods to set up to point a camera down at the floor also as lots of people don't much love them they can be pretty reasonable secondhand likely to be multiple of a 5 still but not vast multiples

Never had a proper tripod and to be honest its a bit confusing.. this thread doesnt help.. answers all over the place.. but

-----8<-----------

sounds perfect.. 1dx and 70-200 should be solid then ... thanks :)

Never had a proper tripod and to be honest its a bit confusing.. this thread doesnt help.. answers all over the place.. but

I can pretty much guarantee that any thing that will cope with an rb67 will manage a 1500g camera.

Confusing? As mentioned the Slik 67 prototype is useful for a heavy camera and as mentioned they sometimes come up at bargain prices cos every one is after the new whizz bang ones and forget the old tripods. The toughest one I saw was a guy that had just bought a large wooden one at the bootie and I asked him what he paid for it and it was £10.

http://webshop.cashconverters.co.uk/auction-item/470248/slik-sl-67-prototype-camera-tripod

... are the heads and legs interchangeable? I.e. from different manufacturers?
Commonly there are two extant threads and they're 1/4" and 3/8" Whitworth (so the days of empire still rule in this department). You can get an adaptor bush (very cheaply) to mount a 3/8 head on a 1/4 tripod, but conversely you won't be able to mount a 1/4 head onto a 3/8 tripod quite so easily. Although once I drilled a head out and rethreaded it to achieve that very thing.

Well I bought it (Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB Aluminium Tripod with SBH-100 Ball Head )and hopefully will be here on monday :)

Well I bought it (Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB Aluminium Tripod with SBH-100 Ball Head )and hopefully will be here on monday :)
Can I ask how much you paid? I've just listed mine without a head for £100 inc postage.

Brand new from the link provided up top..£129 with balL head.. I looked about on ebay etc if cheaper but same thing wa smore expensive on there...

The Benbo actually was a serious sugestion as there are few easier tripods to set up to point a camera down at the floor also as lots of people don't much love them they can be pretty reasonable secondhand likely to be multiple of a 5 still but not vast multiples

Had a look at these, but they appear to be only 2-section legs, which makes them rather long when collapsed, except for the small one which is rather short when set up!

Arrived today... as this is my first real tripod I dont have anyhting to compare it against.. however it seems rock solid... also seems to ahve more bits buttons and levers than i would expect... and some strange loking bit hanging off it... I suppose i best read the manual... which in itself seems odd as a tripod should be simple enough :) have a few ideas stuff I want to try.. including long exposures at night time :)

The bit hanging off is the tool for tightening the quick release plate.

yes holdal :)

the tool is for changing the head I think.. removing ball head and replacing..

found the extra lever ..didnt realis its so you can take the center pole out and put in again.. like sideways...

seems a great bit of kit.. goes a lot higher than it says in the advert.. well over 6 foot..

Back