Help Minotla Scanner Repairer Needed

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, hope one of you may be able to help :help:. After many years of faithful service my Minolta DiMage Scan Multi Pro scanner has decided enough is enough for now, it comes to an abrupt halt midway through a scanning an image with VueScan :(. I upgraded Vuescan in the vain hope that it may be down to software/windows upgrade incompatibility, but unfortunately not :arghh:. Is anyone able to recommend a repairer, preferably in the UK?

Many thanks

Peter

I don't think there is anyone in the UK now. I'm not sure there is anyone anywhere that can repair them :( There was a German place but I think I tried them a couple of years ago and either they no longer did or they didn't respond.

Have you tried a different usb socket and verified there is nothing wrong with that socket? I had endless scanning issues with vuescan but it was down to a failing usb not the scanner itself.

If anyone does find someone then I want to know too as I have an elite 5400ii that is a bit iffy and needs looking at.

Does it come to a halt on the same place in the holder? It might be something daft like crud in the gearing or the holder has got damaged. Mine audibly 'slips' every so often and you often just need to push the holder and it will be ok again. It has actually done it since new but it is definitely becoming more frequent.

If the problem is electronic then repair may be a bit too esoteric (/expensive) to contemplate, but on the basis that it might be mechanical it could be worth a partial disassembly and inspection, along with a clean and light lube of moving parts. This is in the realm of d-i-y. A good time to clean mirrors / lenses too but be very judicious with mirrors in case you damage the coating ...

A small set of instrument screwdrivers should be sufficient, and methodical notes as you go about what goes where and in what order ...

I don't think there is anyone in the UK now. I'm not sure there is anyone anywhere that can repair them :( There was a German place but I think I tried them a couple of years ago and either they no longer did or they didn't respond.

Have you tried a different usb socket and verified there is nothing wrong with that socket? I had endless scanning issues with vuescan but it was down to a failing usb not the scanner itself.

If anyone does find someone then I want to know too as I have an elite 5400ii that is a bit iffy and needs looking at.

Does it come to a halt on the same place in the holder? It might be something daft like crud in the gearing or the holder has got damaged. Mine audibly 'slips' every so often and you often just need to push the holder and it will be ok again. It has actually done it since new but it is definitely becoming more frequent.

It halted at random places so I replaced my firewire cable as had this as long as the scanner. I also switched the firewire driver in Windows to Legacy. This resolved alot of the halting. I then found that it would halt if the computer went to sleep so I have now also created a new power profile switching from balanced to never put the computer to sleep or turning the computer off. This seems to have done the trick. It has only halted once since. If it re-occurs I may looked to replace my firewire card.

Last edited:
I searched for common issues when I got my Scan Dual IV and one of the main problems people seemed to have getting them working with later versions of Windows was that the long USB lead they were originally supplied with wasn't suitable and swapping it for a shorter lead did the trick. I have no idea why, though as yours is firewire I'm also unsure whether that's relevant.

I have no idea if I'm helping or muddying the waters but if children's telly has taught me anything it's that the important thing is, I tried. :)

it could be the guides are getting dry and the scanner is unable to get going when it stops in certain places.

I had an old Epson that did that, a little wd40 on the guides did the trick but it died a few months later.

Back