High Speed Sync Problems

Agreed - but as a diagnostic step it revealed definitively that the camera was not recognising the C-TX. (And checking what is displayed can reveal other mis-settings.)

Strange - holding down the two buttons to do some sort of reset seems to have done the trick. I'm getting a little green LED conformation light on top of the TX that I wasn't getting earlier as well.

Cleaned contacts on body and TX, made sure it's properly mounted and still no joy.
If when you try to see the external flash control menu on your 5DII is says "Not available" or something similar, then your C-TX is NOT properly mounted. Nothing else matters until this is fixed.

I can dial in any shutter speed I like then when I half press the shutter button it reverts to 1/200. If I change modes (say from M to AV) and back again I can then crank the shutter speed right up but reverts back upon a half press of the shutter button.
Half-shutter makes the camera go through its ID and setup routines, at which stage, as it is UNABLE to communicate fully with the mounted device, it reverts to non-HSS state.

Surely if I have the camera in manual, flashes set to manual (rather than ETTL) then I should be able to shoot at any shutter speed.
It is not how Canon cameras are programmed to work. Especially if the camera tells you it cannot communicate with the mounted device. (A micro-switch in the shoe tells it "something" is there.

It is not how Canon cameras are programmed to work. Especially if the camera tells you it cannot communicate with the mounted device. (A micro-switch in the shoe tells it "something" is there.
Clive, had you seen that following a reset the problem is solved?

Back