Hiking boots

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
:help:Can anyone recommend me some hiking boots?

It's been a fair few years since I have done any serious walking but would like to couple the walking and photography together. Budget wise I would like to keep it to around £100 or so.

So far I have looked at Brasher's and they seem pretty good. Obviously I will be trying before buying but any recommendations as a starting point would be appreciated.

Check out Scarpa.

Not sure what they do for £100 but they are superb.

I'm doing my best to wear out a pair of Karrimor event boots, not doing terribly well at the moment :D

I've bought a pair made by keen, lightweight and ultra comfy,

[boots]

Last edited:
I have big problems finding boots to fit me and find Brashers are the only commonly available ones that are wide enough. It's worth buying your first pair in a shop where you can try them on. Once you know your fit you can get some good deals on e-blag.

Have a look at Meindl. They may be a bit above your £100 budget, but they're probably the best boots you can buy.

LOWA, I wear mine everyday for work, out in the woods on exercise, clambering around etc etc.

They also have the best ankle support I have found in any boot (essential for me, I had a rebuild 10 yrs ago)
They can be found online for around £100, but try them in a shop first.
you can get the mountain, its goretex, the supercamp, same as the mtn, but leather lined, the patrol, bit lighter and no gtx

I had these boots for 3 years now and am very pleased with them: Trezeta Scout GTX Walking Boot. I wear them daily and they cost around £70. An extra bonus, they are gortex which is appreciable when leaving in NI

It's been a fair few years since I have done any serious walking but would like to couple the walking and photography together. Budget wise I would like to keep it to around £100 or so.

So far I have looked at Brasher's and they seem pretty good. Obviously I will be trying before buying but any recommendations as a starting point would be appreciated.

Brashers are excellent. I am on my 2nd pair now. Perfectly comfortable from day one.

Miendl for me :)

Best thing to do is go and try them on (like you say). I personally use Scarpa ZG65 XCR boots which cost me £100 from Tiso. You could probably find them in Blacks but are a bit more expensive. I personally found them more comforable (flexible) for cross-country type walking which I also do than the leather boots, but leather ones are probably better for going up mountains in the snow etc (usually better ankle support). Scarpa, Brashers, Miendl, Karrimor, Zamberlan etc are all good makes I believe.

Last edited:
I've got my eye on these Brasher Lithium GTX boots which are £79 at Go Outdoors.

8436-160210161117-639015099.jpg

Other shops are asking around £90-£105 so if you've one of their stores nearby, have a look. Very good reviews on the net with these boots.

Have a look at Meindl. They may be a bit above your £100 budget, but they're probably the best boots you can buy.

That`s what I`ve got. They were more money than I really wanted to spend, but they just "fitted".

I tried loads of different makes, and these were the ones for me.

I`d advise going to a proper outdoors shop, and spend some time trying different makes to get the one that`s right for you.

I bought some a few months back from Go Outdoors, knowing nothing and being rushed into it as no moving car and a lot of snow I bought some cheap regatta's, wore them all the next day and took them back in the evening! I walked out with some Berghaus Explorer Trek GTX

8442-170210103611-639015099.jpg

Absolutely love them to bits, extrememly comfy and now wear them everywhere!

If you have a 'Go Outdoors' store near you I would highly recommend them, well trained staff who know what they're talking about so can advise on boots for your requirements and has been said before in this thread you can try the boots on which is extremely important.

Brasher for me! Ive got three pairs, all good, but the Superlite GTX are miles above the others! Can be had for your budget too!

Another vote for Brasher. HAd them just over 2 years now and they are excellent. Paid around £80 for them at the time.

Karrimor for me - had mine since 1999 and apart from the sole having worn out, they are like new. They're comfy, warm yet cool when required, and get a waterproof treatment every 3 months or so which makes them completey dry, even when completely submerged.

Not going to recommend a brand. Just get to a shop that stocks LOADS of different brands, models etc. Try them on, starting with the cheapest and working up the price range until you find a pair that fit as close to perfectly as possible. Can't even remember what make mine are but they've never given me a blister. For day to day wear, I wear Scarpa shoes because they're the only ones WIDE enough for me, although their newest version of what I wear are too narrow unless I go up too many sizes for them to be comfortable in other ways.

Not going to recommend a brand. Just get to a shop that stocks LOADS of different brands, models etc. Try them on, starting with the cheapest and working up the price range until you find a pair that fit as close to perfectly as possible. Can't even remember what make mine are but they've never given me a blister. For day to day wear, I wear Scarpa shoes because they're the only ones WIDE enough for me, although their newest version of what I wear are too narrow unless I go up too many sizes for them to be comfortable in other ways.

Good advice - I also struggle with ridiculously wide feet (as do most people it seems, shoe companies should take heed).

If it's a possibility, I always get my shoes in the USA now as 90% of them come in wide and extra wide fittings ;)

I bought a pair of Brasher Lites about 3 years ago and I think there first class.

I love my LOWA's, take a bit of breaking in, but boy they are comfy. Also they are handy cause you can have the soles replaced, you are unlikely to knacker the uppers!!

I use Brasher boots, Hillmaster, served me well.
However, my next pair will undoubtedly be...
Meindl Burma Pro MFS GTX (because they're a terrific boot - and I'm a poseur!)

I use Brasher boots, Hillmaster, served me well.
However, my next pair will undoubtedly be...
Meindl Burma Pro MFS GTX (because they're a terrific boot - and I'm a poseur!)

All boots look the same when covered in mud! :D

The best boots you can buy are Scarpa.
With Raichle (now called Mammut) in a close second

All boots look the same when covered in mud! :D

True, very true - BUT...
When I'm queuing for my favourite (Lean, thank you very much) at the Bury Black Pudding Company stall in Bury Market I'll just feel SO damn superior. :D

OK then, All boots look the same when covered in Black Pudding and Mustard!!

(Get on the hills with them!!)

EDIT; Who's looking at boots anyway when waiting for a Black Pudding?? YUMMY!!

Last edited:
OK then, All boots look the same when covered in Black Pudding and Mustard!!

(Get on the hills with them!!)

EDIT; Who's looking at boots anyway when waiting for a Black Pudding?? YUMMY!!

Bet I can get up Harrison's Pike before you, neeeeeeeer :LOL:

Bet I can get up Harrison's Pike before you, neeeeeeeer :LOL:

Do you mean Harrison Stickle in the Lakes? I'ts only 2,400ft, a mere pimple!!

Tried on a pair of Brasher hillmaster yesterday in a shop with different surfaces and inclines and so on and I thought that they felt superb. Didn't have a huge range to try anything else for comparison which is something I want to do before I buy but I think there will be a good chance that I will go back to the Brashers.

Back