Beginner Hobby Help

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys

New to the forum - hoping to get some help.

I have recently started up Photography as a hobby as I love the idea of capturing moments with the click of my finger. I currently have various photos of landscape/portrait however I am wanting to go into night life photography (and your help)

I am not very good when it comes to choosing the correct aperture and shutter in conditions. Could you advise me on settings/equipment/lens for night life & club photography?

Currently have a D7000 with a 50mm AF-S 1.8G lens.

Thanks in advanced

Sam

It's hard to tell you what setting to choose especially Ruth club shooting because the lighting can very so much. It's all about the available light and without being there we really can't give you good advise.

However, with landscape photography we can probably help. It's really pretty simple to get started. You need a tripod and shutter release button. Want to make sure that you set an Aperture that will capture all the depth of field that you may need. I generally will keep the ISO low and adjusted shutter speed accordingly. This is a good example of the time that you have to examine your exposure to make sure that you're getting what you really like. Meter is great but not might not always fit your mood. Instead of me telling you an Aperture to use I'm going to advise you to check out the website called Cambridge and colors. This website will help you a lot and get you going it's really a lot simpler than people think. You really need to find out things like where to focus and how to dial in that focus in the dark it's really not hard. Check out that site you still have questions hit us up some more. Good luck.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies will be sure to check out the previous threads.

Also thanks for the tips on Landscapes Shaylou!

Ok Guys - thinking about it, will a 50mm be ok? I have a 18-55mm will this be more convenient? Do I really need a low F stop?

If we are still talking about landscape then a 50mm will not be wide enough. Something to consider when you are talking about focal length on your camera is that it is what we call a crop sensor camera, (1.5 crop factor) meaning that what ever your lens focal length is you multiply that with your crop factor and that is your focal length of that lens on your camera. For instance 50mm on a 1.5 crop body like yours is 50 x 1.5 = 75 (75mm) is what you are truly getting.

So for landscape we tend to look for a wide lens to capture as much of the scene as possible. In my opinion I would say that you are better off with your 18-55 because you will be able to get so much more in your picture. 18mm x 1.5 (crop factor)= 27mm. That is pretty wide and much wider than the 50mm.

I hope that helps.
:canon::exit:

For night club photography you really should be using flash and an extension cord to get it off the camera if necessary.

If we are still talking about landscape then a 50mm will not be wide enough.

A 50mm may not be wide enough.. sometimes..

Landscape just means there's green and brown stuff in the shot, it deosn't have to be wide. Both the 50mm and the 18-55mm may be too wide in some circumstances for isolating a scene within the landscape.

Lens choice is a very personal thing, and with an 18-55mm and a 50mm already the OP can explore what works for them for the shots they want to take. Avoid assumung that landscapes must always be wide, or portraits must be shot with a medium tele.. just go with what works for you.

If you only had a 50mm with you and a computer then you can always stitch a panorama together from individual shots... easier if you have a tripod but not always essential. It is a way to get occasional "wide" shots from a longer focal length (you can also apply the same theory to using your 18mm end and getting a superwide 180+ degree shot). It's a bit harder to do the opposite (use a WA for a telephoto shot) as you lose so much detail when cropping in.

As Alastair has said, have a play with different lenses and don't just default to what you read in your favourite photography magazine (although there is often a sound reason that these "rules" are taken as common starting points).

I agree with Alastair. I photograph landscapes, and I don't use a wide angle lens. You need a wide angle only if you're trying to achieve a certain "look" that is popular nowadays. If you want to show things as you see them, you may not need a wide angle either. I've used a longer than normal focal length lens far more than a wide angle for landscapes (read "I've used a wide angle lens once in landscape photography"). It's the way I want to show the scene that determines the lens; if you start with "I must use a wide angle lens for landscapes" you end up with "I must show the scene this way - whether it works better or not".

There's a 100 ways to skin a cat but most (not all) landscape photographers use a wide angle lens for landscape. But if you would rather not capture a broad scene or would rather spend your time in Photoshop instead of behind your camera that is definitely an option.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the great replies - I do like the effect of a wide angle lens specially when shooting at 18mm and below. May have to experiment, as mentioned.

Sam

Back