Hot Pixels or noise?

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
I've been going through a few shots that I want to get printed quite large, and Ive noticed these bright dots. The seem to get worse with the length of exposure.

This one is a 100% crop from a 250 second exposure. Throughout the whole image there are hundreds of them, far too many to fix in PP :(

Can anyone shed any light on what they are, and what can be done to prevent them?

Taken with a Nikon D7000

I'd potentially disagree and say those look JUST like hot pixels to me - dust wouldn't go red, would it?

Cheers,
James

I'd go with dirt on the sensor, have you ran the sensor cleaning in the D7000 menu, run it a couple of times and take some test shots to see if any improvement.

I'd potentially disagree and say those look JUST like hot pixels to me - dust wouldn't go red, would it?
Hot pixels are uniform in shape and usually not more than one pixel in an area at a time.
Most of those dots are not uniform in shape and are more than one pixel.
Dust can go red (or any other colour) if the image has been over processed and that colour range, in this case red, has been saturated.
If they are hot pixels, then the OP has a major problem.

Well it only shows up in very long exposures, so I dont think its sensor dirt, or else it would be there all the time
Incorrect.
It's there, but you won't usually see it on short exposures under about f11.
Go to longer exposures with smaller apertures and it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Here is a 100% crop of the same area, taken on the same day, but with a short exposure

doryqd.png

Edited to add this was at f16

Last edited:
Back