how far is far with light pollution

Edit My Images
Yes
hi just trying some night sky work and although my garden is fairly dark i seem to get the orange tinge from light pollution,i know i can edit the photo slightly,but i live at the edge of a small town surrounded by fields and was just wondering how far is far generally for light pollution reduction,just a thought guys cheers

can you not take a little trek out of town? take someone with you?

Is it even coming from your town?
I would expect much of South Yorks will be pretty orange from Leeds, Sheffield, York etc.
You probably need to get at least 20 miles away from any large lit areas but it does depend on cloud conditions.
If it's very clear the problem is far less than nights with a high cloud layer.

omg thought someone would suggest a couple of fields away not twenty miles:) would there be much benefit going into the fields or not then

thanks pel thats one hell of a map,just wondered in real terms what the difference is between where i am(red) and the nearest dark blue area to me,is it a small amount or will it be massive,anybody any idea please thanks as usual

On a scale of small amount to massive, I would say you'll be approaching the massive end of the scale.

As with most things in life... the extra effort will be rewarded :)

As stated, it makes a massive difference.

There are a number of locations in the Peak District that are dark, a work colleague I used to know used to do astrophotography out there on occasion. The odd street light in the distance won't affect things too much, but generally, the darker the better.

Remember that it takes your eyes in the region of about 20 minutes to adjust to the dark properly. A dark site on a moonless night is dark...you can't see unaided, not even your hand in front of your face, if you can find a site nearby like that you will be halfway there. Where I live, after my eyes have adjusted I can still see fairly well due to LP.

Good luck.

Well looking at the map pel mentioned the nearest to me in Doncaster would be to the right of doncaster in between wroot and haxey anyone know this area

Check this
You'll find a light pollution filter for a Nikon with a bit of digging.
Heres a pic I took recently using one with a Canon 500D:
13.jpg

Back