how much 4g phone data do you need?

Name
Edit My Images
No
I just got up to date and bought a posh new "smart" phone. Im on a pay as you go vodaphone thing at the moment, the same one ive been with for years so its time i got a 4g sim deal thing. But i was just wondering how many gig's of data i need per month and looking for advice?

I have wireless at work and home so its just in between where it would use its own data. I have a spotify account and might spool the odd video from netflix / amazon on the commute. I live in hertfordshire if that has any bearing on signal quality.

Who would people recommend i use and how much data do you think i would chew through?

I'd say anywhere between 2-5gb depending upon how much you're gonna use on Netflix.
The trouble is that 4G is so 'usable', it encourages you to do more than you need.
I use Giffgaff, who work on the O2 Network - £15 a month, would get you 1000 minutes, Unlimited texts and 4gb of 4G data. Depends whether the phone you have is unlocked.
Pretty much all providers would offer something comparable - this link might give you a few other options too

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/08/the-best-uk-mobile-network-phone-deals-for-every-bank-balance/

We've lots of wifi spots, so not a major problem and have about 1gb of data - depends what you're going to use it for !!! Just checking emails, what's app, bit of Internet surfing then you should be fine, if your watching movies etc, then you'll need more.

ok thanks :) It looks like 3 do an unlimited data plan for £17 a month which sounds good. Are 3 reliable enough?

Whilst I've not had an issue with their service, you can always change your account password after.

three is pretty good for data with ee second best and o2/voda pretty useless (but they have better 2g in some remote places) - i normally top up about 3 times a month on three and get 150mb bonus on each topup so i get about 2gb data for £15 which suits me fine - mainly just use chrome rather than apps

three is pretty good for data with ee second best and o2/voda pretty useless (but they have better 2g in some remote places) - i normally top up about 3 times a month on three and get 150mb bonus on each topup so i get about 2gb data for £15 which suits me fine - mainly just use chrome rather than apps

Depends where you live. Near me it's the other way around. O2 are best, then Vodafone with EE and Three having virtually no signal.

ok thanks :) It looks like 3 do an unlimited data plan for £17 a month which sounds good. Are 3 reliable enough?

I'm on 3 and love it, mine is £15 I think. Only downer is I can "only" have 4gb of tethered data with my phone (I've never used it tho)

I regularly use 10gb a month.

I'm on 3 and love it, mine is £15 I think. Only downer is I can "only" have 4gb of tethered data with my phone (I've never used it tho)

I regularly use 10gb a month.
As smartphones now often offer better resolution screens than many laptops the need to "tether" will become less - 2560x1440 is now pretty much the standard "high end" smartphone resolution with a lot of laptops still only 1920x1080, unless they have a "retina" screen.

You will really benefit from unlimited on the 4G tariffs! I don't watch netflix/youtube/etc on my Vodafone 5GB tariff at the risk of going over.

Surely you can simply buy more data once you hit 5gb?
It's extortionate. It will cost you 6 pounds for enough to watch one film. My bill in March came to 200 pounds from the regular 40 as I went over.

I'm with Tesco Mobile and I get 3GB a month of 4G and that does me. I even connect to my xbox near the end of the month and do any updates as our home broadband is only 2mb yet I get around 48mb on 4G!

I'm looking at moving over to a 4G contract myself soon. Currently use 3-4GB a month on 3G at the moment (on an unlimited tariff) though I am thinking that I will end up using more when on 4G due to the quicker connection.
Looking at going to Giffgaff as they seem to be the best value and I like the idea of being able to switch between packages from month to month. Only thing that is putting me off is it essentially being O2 and I hear a few people complain about their coverage, where as I am currently on t-mobile, so using the EE network and find it pretty good.

I'm with Vodafone, it is my only option that works where I live. Anyone been to a TP meggameet will know how bad mobile phone reception is. Anyway, I have 36GB on Vodafone RED....I'm probably using about 20-25 each month...

Three are utterly arse in Hull so much so that my one plan is 11 per month for unlimited data, tethering and fousands of texts etc

I use o2, as s*** as the others, and have 10gb data, usually use around 3 but no broadband at the mo, so its getting used.

Back