How to deal with a "nightmare shoot"

Name
Vicky
Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure if this belongs in this area, but if it's misplaced, sorry.

I had the absolute worst shoot to date today. I am not as much looking for how to salvage the picture as to what I could have done differently.

Parents booked a session and they named a place where they wanted the shoot to take place. As I didn't know the place, I went yesterday to check it out and decide on some ideas.

As it was promising to be a hot day, I told the parents to be there by nine to avoid harsh sunshine.

Well, it began by them being 45 mins late, so by the time I could start if was getting close to 10 am, and a lot of sunshine already.

They changed their minds about the exact location, choosing an open field with little or no shaded areas, because "they saw something on vacation".

And worst of all, THE CHILD DID NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE!!!! Not to mum, not to dad, not to me.
In the end I invented the game, where I would try to catch her and then I would be allowed to take some pictures. She would then chase me, and could take a picture of me (luckily I had my compact with me).
This seemed to work, until mum decided it was nap time, and we had to quit.

I took over 300 pics, of which about 30 will be more or less useable, although none really amazing.

I feel lousy. And I just wonder what I should have done differently to avoid this kind of situation, where I have no control whatsoever.

Hi Vicky, I am by no means any expert but I have found through my own experience that allowing the parents to chose the location is fine, but I now no longer allow them to dictate the shoot. The only thing I would say you could do differently is not to let them "tell you" where they now want to shoot i.e. change of location. If you know the conditions are not good then dont agree to it, go back to the original location that appeared fine when you checked it out. I dont like shooting in full sun, particularly if there is no shade unless I am looking for a different style. If you have 30 useable images it is not so bad, once you sleep on it and go back and look say tomorrow or the day after I suspect you will have more good ones than you think right now. I have been there but you need to take more control. Also, you need to be clear with your clients that shoots take place well before nap time or straight after they have had a meal or sleep. I feel your pain and please dont feel despondent, we have all been there and this is the best way to learn. Be honest and firm with the parents about location/naps etc. Post your photos and we can all help you out in any way we can.

Last edited:
Yes I'm afraid you need to be firm about where your going to shoot, usually just explaining that "shooting there wont work because.... " is enough to convince most people to go where you want to shoot.
Working with young children is a different issue, some people take toys or bubble makers with an assistant to distract or keep the child interested, some will let the child run around for a bit to tire them out (this doesn't always work lol) If they wont listen to mum and dad chances are they wont listen to you.

You don`t say whether the shoot was free or paid for, if it was paid for in advance, you would (should) have something in your tems and conditions to cover this, both the late arrival and the venue.

If it was free, they have you over a barrel really, if you don`t go along they can just walk.

Kill the kid.... :LOL:

Last edited:
You don`t say whether the shoot was free or paid for, if it was paid for in advance, you would (should) have something in your tems and conditions to cover this, both the late arrival and the venue.

If it was free, they have you over a barrel really, if you don`t go along they can just walk.

Kill the kid.... :LOL:

It was "Pay for prints only" as this is only my second month of official business. Thanks though for the tip on the terms and conditions, I'll have to make sure to add that.

tell them to sod off and move to your location, or take a few snaps then take them to your location for 'a bit of a change' or something then get the shots you need

natural light out there won't keep any bg detail from the sound of it

tell them to sod off and move to your location, or take a few snaps then take them to your location for 'a bit of a change' or something then get the shots you need

I'm with David.

And if I am stuck in a bad location, I try some tight headshots where the location is irrelevant.

No kids ever listen to your instructions (at least mine don't listen to me!) so you have to be adaptable. Have a few tricks to use like taking shots of the parents until the kids feel left out and want to join in, or take some photogenic toys.

It was "Pay for prints only" as this is only my second month of official business. Thanks though for the tip on the terms and conditions, I'll have to make sure to add that.

That being the case, it's pointless you shooting where you KNOW they will most likely not love the shots - YOU are the expert...so use the knowledge you have, you tell them where you're shooting (thereby giving you more opportunity of a sale, as the images are likely to be better if you choose the location) - basically, be a bit more assertive - take control of the shoot (without killing the kid, where possible...sometimes unavoidable :D)

Back