How to edit a double chin

Name
Ruth
Edit My Images
Yes
I was wondering if anyone could help with this.

The bride would like her double chin minimised in a few photographs, I've managed the ones of her looking side on but am struggling with the face on shots.

This is a very cropped photo to give you an idea:
MJ_1088_crop.jpg

This is my very gorgeous cousin (so pls no snide remarks). The wedding was brought forward as her mum was very sick. She spent the months up to the wedding worrying that she may not have her mum at the wedding so dieting left the top of her priority list. She's happy with her figure but is really keen to lose the chin in the few shots it's in.

Many thanks (y)

I can't help you with Photoshop, but personally I think she looks great as she is. :shrug:

tell her she's lovely as she is. Absolutely no need for any tampering with the images.

Her smile shines through that she is very happy (y)

Using Photoshop Elements 9 and spot healing brush it resulted in the above.

Realspeed

Personally, I dont agree with tampering for vanity and have done this for illustration

mj1088chin.jpg

Of the three images, the original is the clear winner (y)

The OP said quote
I was wondering if anyone could help with this.

The bride would like her double chin minimised in a few photographs, I've managed the ones of her looking side on but am struggling with the face on shots. unquote

This is what I have actually done. I agree with the other comments but this is not what was asked for.

Realspeed

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses.

I completely agree with the comments too! She is gorgeous and her personality shines out through her smile. However, I can also identify with the fact she hoped to look 'better' for her wedding.

Thanks for the two edits. I've had another go based on them and am coming up with similar results, cheers! However, I think I'll be going back to her and saying that she looks better in the original

Edit: have tried a minimal edit, same process, but then setting the opacity to 50% on the edit layers - it lessens the shadows which seems to work OK & still look natural.

Last edited:
Rudesing said:
Wow, thanks for all the quick responses.

I completely agree with the comments too! She is gorgeous and her personality shines out through her smile. However, I can also identify with the fact she hoped to look 'better' for her wedding.

Thanks for the two edits. I've had another go based on them and am coming up with similar results, cheers! However, I think I'll be going back to her and saying that she looks better in the original

Edit: have tried a minimal edit, same process, but then setting the opacity to 50% on the edit layers - it lessens the shadows which seems to work OK & still look natural.

I'm not at the computer right now but if your not in a hurry ill have a go later for you.

That's impressive Christine, thanks!

Graham, no particular hurry. I'm putting together an album that these shots are going into, so I'll be at it a few days yet. Christine's version is better than my attempts so I'll have another go!

Difficult if you need to do certain poses but given the same situation again you can minimise double chins by poses that lift the face up stretching the neck a little etc.

I saw this the other day on Creative Live for Elements 9 (http://www.creativelive.com/live - in fact it's currently on rewatch), basically do CTRL-Shift-N for a new layer and select Soft Light mode and tick the Fill with 50% grey box. Then use the brush tool set at about 10-20% and use white to lighten and black to darken in this layer.

Edit: sorry my mistake it's the iPhoto course that's currently on rewatch.

Last edited:
That's impressive Christine, thanks!

Graham, no particular hurry. I'm putting together an album that these shots are going into, so I'll be at it a few days yet. Christine's version is better than my attempts so I'll have another go!

I had a quick go but it's already looking a bit fake, its difficult to do on a small image. I wouldn't want to go too far with it anyway or it wont look like her anymore. I think she would be happy with any of them, but it's a pity she she feels the need to have it done. I understand though, I haven't met many women that don't want something changed if they could.

mj1088crop.jpg

For what it is worth, despite some great work by others the original look best by far in my opinion.

What I would do, is the following:
1. Restore a little of the black level which give back a little contrast to her hair.
2. Also tame the blown highlights on the dresss and in between the leaves.
3. Sharpen the whole of the picture a little.
4. Apply more selective sharpening to the eyes such that they become a focal point and attention gets away from the chin.
5. Also a tiny bit to the mouth.
6. And then to top it off, I'd just put an every so slight blur brush over her skin to get remove the sharpening earlier and thus reduce the blotchiness.
7. Whilst I did point 6 I noticed her lovely neckless and did some selective sharpening on that as well.

Like so, a right glamour puss :D
Sample.jpg

Oh just in case you didn't get it :) the one on the left is mine and the right was your original.

Last edited:
Tried to have quick go but got too involved, trying to hard :)

MJ_1088_crop1.jpg

MJ_1088_crop2.jpg

Ruth,

I would agree with the above posts tbh, she is a pretty lass & I think she would regret having touched up images.

Have a look at this link, it's amazing what cn be done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbCCN0xtD7o

Had a quick go, no PP expert!
Chin1.jpg
[/IMG]

Mick

Last edited:
Difficult if you need to do certain poses but given the same situation again you can minimise double chins by poses that lift the face up stretching the neck a little etc.

Thanks for the tip! Most of the photographs are fine, the ones during the ceremony are the worst culprits, but I think the vicar would have thrown me out if I had started yelling 'chin up' :nuts: But you're right, a few of the posed ones I could (should) have done differently.

I saw this the other day on Creative Live for Elements 9 (http://www.creativelive.com/live - in fact it's currently on rewatch), basically do CTRL-Shift-N for a new layer and select Soft Light mode and tick the Fill with 50% grey box. Then use the brush tool set at about 10-20% and use white to lighten and black to darken in this layer.

Edit: sorry my mistake it's the iPhoto course that's currently on rewatch.

Thanks, I'll give that a go!

I had a quick go but it's already looking a bit fake, its difficult to do on a small image. I wouldn't want to go too far with it anyway or it wont look like her anymore. I think she would be happy with any of them, but it's a pity she she feels the need to have it done. I understand though, I haven't met many women that don't want something changed if they could.

Thanks for that Graham, it's better than my latest attempt, but I'm getting there. Thankfully there's 4 people in this photo, so her neck is very small!

For what it is worth, despite some great work by others the original look best by far in my opinion.

What I would do, is the following:
1. Restore a little of the black level which give back a little contrast to her hair.
2. Also tame the blown highlights on the dresss and in between the leaves.
3. Sharpen the whole of the picture a little.
4. Apply more selective sharpening to the eyes such that they become a focal point and attention gets away from the chin.
5. Also a tiny bit to the mouth.
6. And then to top it off, I'd just put an every so slight blur brush over her skin to get remove the sharpening earlier and thus reduce the blotchiness.
7. Whilst I did point 6 I noticed her lovely neckless and did some selective sharpening on that as well.

Like so, a right glamour puss :D

Oh just in case you didn't get it :) the one on the left is mine and the right was your original.

Wow, that's brilliant! Off to have a play....

Tried to have quick go but got too involved, trying to hard :)

Teeny tiny Neck! Thanks

Ruth,

I would agree with the above posts tbh, she is a pretty lass & I think she would regret having touched up images.

Have a look at this link, it's amazing what cn be done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbCCN0xtD7o

Had a quick go, no PP expert!

Mick

Thanks Mick, I'll have a look now.

I agree too. But she's the client!

Really appreciate the effort everyone has gone to (y)

I would never normally do this unless specifically asked to, especially with a bride! People are right, she looks great as she is. But if you're going to do it, I think the key here is to keep it subtle.

mj1088cropcomp.jpg

Firstly, I removed the chin line with the clone stamp tool. Then I gently reshaped the lower half of the face with liquify. Finally, a quick d+b to fix some shadows. The shadows need a little bit more work but I think you get what I mean. Hope this helps!

N

Back