how to find the manufacture date of my lp-e6nh battery

Edit My Images
No
Reason I ask is because i just brought a new one and it arrived completely dead, I know that letting them run down like that is not good for them and I am trying to find out how old the stock is. Brought from a reputable high street shop via online purchase. It has charged up ok in just over 2 hours.
Wondering If I should reject it and send it back.

Has been a long while I owned Canon.......but thought they were dated on the reverse with the manufacturing date...

They are ...

Yes the old LP- E6 has a metal plaque with the date embossed on it but the new LP-ENH does not. Mine has printed on it the same 3-30-2 as mentioned in that link and it has also has a similar printed number which is 202212KA.
I am wondering if my number means this 2022 12th month KA
If that is the case then it could of been dead within a year and left dead ever since - which is not good

Last edited:
IMO and based on what appears to be the manufactured date of December 2022 the battery in principle should be ok but to have fully charged in 2 hours makes me think of a reduced condition battery.

But I would also be checking the "recharge performance" in the linked article by @Sangoma

Even if that is ok!(?) maybe an abundance of caution would be to get a refund and buy from another source..... possibly one with a higher stock turnover???

IMO and based on what appears to be the manufactured date of December 2022 the battery in principle should be ok but to have fully charged in 2 hours makes me think of a reduced condition battery.

But I would also be checking the "recharge performance" in the linked article by @Sangoma

Even if that is ok!(?) maybe an abundance of caution would be to get a refund and buy from another source..... possibly one with a higher stock turnover???
Yes I have checked the recharge performance and it has full 3 green bars. As yet I have not used the battery, only received it today all I have done is charge it.
Before I message the seller I want to first make sure that the number 202212KA. is actually the manufacture date I have searched the net but cannot find an answer.
I thought 2 hours was the normal charge time.

Last edited:
I recently bought 2 of these batteries from Carmarthen Cameras, a well-known and reputable UK company - I would be very surprised indeed if they sold anything "dodgy".

My two have the numbers 202209CA and 202303EA, so it could well be that the numbers are a date code.

I recently bought what I believe was a genuine LP-E6NH battery through Amazon and to my surprise it arrived flat - no charge at all - I wonder if it's a way of getting round the postal regs?.

It charged fine and has similar performance to the one that came with my R7.

One thing about buying no OEM batteries for recent Canon cameras - I discovered that with non OEM batteries my R7 throttles the maximum frame rate from 15 down to 9 seconds.

With genuine Canon batteries - even older "non N" LP-6EH batteries the frame maximum rate is 15fps even with a one red bar battery

D

Last edited:
I recently bought what I believe was a genuine LP-E6NH battery through Amazon and to my surprise it arrived flat - no charge at all - I wonder if it's a way of getting round the postal regs?.

It charged fine and has similar performance to the one that came with my R7.

One thing about buying no OEM batteries for recent Canon cameras - I discovered that with non OEM batteries my R7 throttles the maximum frame rate from 15 down to 9 seconds.

With genuine Canon batteries - even older "non N" LP-6EH batteries the frame maximum rate is 15fps even with a one red bar battery

D
Its been a few years since I was in the battery industry but i believe ut was supposed to be 30-70% charge for shipping, should never be totally flat. Although that's easy when shipped from the manufacturer, years on the shelf with poor turnover / stock rotation will see it self discharge.

Last edited:
I recently bought 2 of these batteries from Carmarthen Cameras, a well-known and reputable UK company - I would be very surprised indeed if they sold anything "dodgy".

My two have the numbers 202209CA and 202303EA, so it could well be that the numbers are a date code.
Yes that is where I got it from.
I have looked at a lot of the battery's on ebay just for reference on the code/date numbers and I am now sure that the number is indeed a date code as they are all within the range of the battery's release date.
So I have been sent a December 2022 December battery which makes it 1 year and 4 months old, how long do we think it would take the battery to discharge itself fully from lets say a 70% factory shipment charge. 6 months maybe ? which would mean it has been sitting flat for 10 months. Should I send it back.
Problem is they do not know the date untill its removed from its box unless there is a clue on the bar code labe on the box.
I might just send it back and buy direct from Cannon.

Its been a few years since I was in the battery industry but i believe ut was supposed to be 30-70% charge for shipping, should never be totally flat. Although that's easy when shipped from the manufacturer, years on the shelf with poor turnover / stock rotation will see it self discharge.
Yes even the cannon paperwork that comes with the battery says not to store it flat.

Yes that is where I got it from.
I have looked at a lot of the battery's on ebay just for reference on the code/date numbers and I am now sure that the number is indeed a date code as they are all within the range of the battery's release date.
So I have been sent a December 2022 December battery which makes it 1 year and 4 months old, how long do we think it would take the battery to discharge itself fully from lets say a 70% factory shipment charge. 6 months maybe ? which would mean it has been sitting flat for 10 months. Should I send it back.
Problem is they do not know the date untill its removed from its box unless there is a clue on the bar code labe on the box.
I might just send it back and buy direct from Cannon.

1 1/2 - 2 percent self discharge per month, apparently.

Yes I have checked the recharge performance and it has full 3 green bars. As yet I have not used the battery, only received it today all I have done is charge it.
Before I message the seller I want to first make sure that the number 202212KA. is actually the manufacture date I have searched the net but cannot find an answer.
I thought 2 hours was the normal charge time.

So the battery charges to 100% and the three green lights show when the battery is put into the camera. I really don't understand what your problem is. The battery is working as it should.

So the battery charges to 100% and the three green lights show when the battery is put into the camera. I really don't understand what your problem is. The battery is working as it should.
The three greens show an average, and as it hasn't been used much are not really an accurate indication of the battery's condition yet.

The three greens are calculated by the ratio of the charge to the discharge, and that average is updated each time the battery is charged, ie if you put 1800mAh in and get 1800mAh out, the battery is 100% OK, if you put 2400mAh in and get 1200 mAh out, it is 50% OK (figures for example only, you will never get 100% efficiency, but the calculations take this into account)

I agree though, there is unlikely to be a problem with the battery, and any problem would show up within the warranty period, I also think the OP should make his concerns known though, just in case.

Yes you are right in your summing up. M concern is future performance given that you are not supposed to store them discharged which it has been.

The three greens show an average, and as it hasn't been used much are not really an accurate indication of the battery's condition yet.

The three greens are calculated by the ratio of the charge to the discharge, and that average is updated each time the battery is charged, ie if you put 1800mAh in and get 1800mAh out, the battery is 100% OK, if you put 2400mAh in and get 1200 mAh out, it is 50% OK (figures for example only, you will never get 100% efficiency, but the calculations take this into account)

I agree though, there is unlikely to be a problem with the battery, and any problem would show up within the warranty period, I also think the OP should make his concerns known though, just in case.
It hasn't been used at all yet - only given it a charge, not sure whether to use it as then perhaps a return would be more complicated

Hung jury - it's up to you what you decide to do about it.

If you're not sure about the battery now you never will be.

So for that reason I'd return it.

You'll always be suspicious of it and never be able to completely rely on it.

So is the verdict to reject or to keep.

It is entirely up to you. However, if you send the battery back and the replacement battery also has no charge in it when you receive it, what are you going to do then?

I have a battery that is 14 years old and it still charges to 100%. When it is put in the camera it still shows two green bars.

I have another battery that is about five years old. When that is charged to 100% and put in the camera it shows one red bar. It still operates the camera as it should and holds its charge for several months.

It is entirely up to you. However, if you send the battery back and the replacement battery also has no charge in it when you receive it, what are you going to do then?
Yes that is my worry/thoughts, unless I buy direct from cannon perhaps then i will get a newer stock and it arrive with some charge. Although from cannon they are £14 more than from camarthen

I have a battery that is 14 years old and it still charges to 100%. When it is put in the camera it still shows two green bars.
Yes I also have a 14 year old one that charges and performs perfectly well but is indicating 1 red bar.

Back