Hudl 2 - Any good ?

Great.. Hope its all sorted. I bought some screen protectors for mine which seem pretty good... I'll put the link up later ( on phone at moment)

Still really crap charging from the computer USB. Doesn't even increase the battery meter.

edit: got AiCharger installed for the iPhone but this does not seem to work with the Hudl

Last edited:
I don't like this thread......have bought 1 now for my son for Xmas but all these problems I keep see popping up and I haven't opened it yet!! Worried he will open a duff tablet now

I don't like this thread......have bought 1 now for my son for Xmas but all these problems I keep see popping up and I haven't opened it yet!! Worried he will open a duff tablet now

It seems to be with USB charging. I only mains charge mine and I have had no problems at all. I think my hudl 2 is brilliant, works great, fast and its a pleasure to use

Very strange.... I can only guess you have another duff one ????

Is your mains socket OK ...other stuff charge there OK ?

I charge mine for about an hour but it never gets below about 50% before I charge

Hi I would like to get a Hudle for my dad at Christmas, but if the charger isn't very good then I'll have to think again. I would get him one like mine (Samsung tab 2) but they cost a bit more. Mines been Okay and the sound is good. Can you advise me please?

I have not searched online to see if the charging issue is common and I am lucky or the other way round but I can only comment from my experience and from that I would certainly recommend the Hudl 2 brilliant bit of kit and a steal at the price. Louise maybe do some online searching and see if anyone else has had problems

Neil.... Don't want to make you sound daft but you are pushing the plug right into Hudl as it is very stiff....just a thought

Just weird how you have had two Hudles and both have the same problem. The fact that the first was faulty is quite rare these days for any technology but two and the exact same problem ..... what are the odds ?? :thinking:

So something must be going on......

Maybe try and remove apps and see what happens.

My Samsung has been Okay, how does the Hudle compare to the Kindle HD fire?

hmm not too sure. i have read of a few other people having the problem and one of the samsung models had it too.

Hmm......interesting wonder if they used shared (maybe faulty) technology ?

A lot of these products are made in the same factories

Maybe its not you that's unlucky - its me who is lucky not having a faulty one :cautious:

this charging bug is still there. its not as bad granted (had 1 recent occurrence since last post).

simple reboot resolved it but shouldn't need to be done. i like my devices to be "always on" capable.

I bought one for my son and the only way to charge it is by holding down the on button until it turns off. It's fine then. Apparently there is going to be a software fix released early January. If it isn't released and resolves the issue then it's going back. I can't be doing with turning it off every time I need to charge it. Other than that it's a fab tablet for the price and once I installed a launcher to get rid of all the Tesco stuff it's perfect.

I got a hudl for one of my daughters for Christmas to replace her Kindle Fire. I also got my other daughter an Asus android tablet. The Hudl seems to have a better battery than both the Asus and the Kindle Fire, charges quicker than the other two as well on usb and on mains. Pretty pleased with it, my daughter loves it and has hardly went near the PS4 we got her as well. Sorry now that I didn't just get two hudls and skip the Asus.

I bought one back in October and never had a problem with it, don't think I have turned it off much either
just leave it on standby, mainly because I put it down and forget about it.
This does mean that when I want to use it the battery is quite low so I charge it up whilst using it

My mother got one of these for Christmas and I had to set it up for her.
It seems to be fairly good, but the thing that baffles my is the inability to write data to the SD CARD or set apps to use the SD Card by default.

Apparently this is a limitation of kitkat, but it does render the SD card a bit pointless and not fit for purpose.

I transfer data straight to the sd when I load it on over USB. and default location for isyncr is SD.

Don't buy content from Google though other than a few apps but those don't take up much space.

My mum will only use it for Facebook, web browsing, email etc, but also wants to store photos from her camera so I got her a 32gb card just for the photos.

I can only get this to transfer to internal memory and need a file system app to copy the photos across.
She is a technophobe so this is not really an option for her. I've also found that whilst I can create folders and move photos to the SD card. After some housekeeping, I was not able to remove empty folders.

Also when using the built in apps to edit photos stored on the SD card, changes can not be saved.

So much for Android being the all sing all dancing, we let you do what you want unlike IOS operating system.

IMHO with this limitation the Hudl 2 is not fit for purpose.

I'm an Android newbie, so I'm reluctant to attempt rooting my mothers brand new Hudl :).

From what I've read lollipop should resolve the SD Card limitation, but there is no indication as to when this will be available for the Hudl 2 or whether the included apps will be updated to use the external memory by default.

interesting, Tesco support didnt mention anything and happily accepted the first one back as faulty.

got a source out of interest?

I read it on one of the tech forums that I looked at on Xmas day when it wouldn't charge. If I can find the post I'll put a link up.

Interesting reading.... Looks like I was lucky and a quote from that article you linked to sums it up

"We have two Tesco Hudl 2s in the office, one of which has the charging problem, while the other does not"

Bought 2 for kids at xmas! Great little tabs! No problems at all with them so far

Same as all for charging, connected 1st time to Phone Charger and got Red light but no charge, checked (as you do) the phone Charger output and it showed as 0.5A looked at HUDL Charger and it showed 2.0A

So now always use HUDL charger and have no problems.

Simple rule for Problem solving look for the obvious first!!!!

Back