Hudl 2 - Any good ?

charging from USB still doesnt work (just holds level) :(

I have never tried that I will give it a go one day to see... I always charge from mains

charging from USB still doesnt work (just holds level) :(

Have you actually read this Thread???

You need to use the Mains Charger that comes with the HUDL2 because it charges at 2A and USB outlets cannot supply this Amperage, typically about 0.5A, so although the charging light comes on it does not CHARGE!!

DUH!!

You need to use the Mains Charger that comes with the HUDL2 because it charges at 2A and USB outlets cannot supply this Amperage, typically about 0.5A, so although the charging light comes on it does not CHARGE!!

DUH!!
Which is the same behaviour as the iPad, which warns you that it is not charging when plugged into a 0.5A USB socket. And that's what the Hudl2 does with the new firmware.

Oh, and you don't need the charger that comes with the Hudl2. I have many chargers that output 2A.

DUH!!

No need to be a nob. If you'd read the thread you'd see I use the aicharge utility to boost USB charge. Which works fine on iPad and iPhone.

Not much to ask that the hudl does the same, but it does not trigger the app.

On the bright side I don't get those annoying "your device could run faster" messages.

Which is the same behaviour as the iPad, which warns you that it is not charging when plugged into a 0.5A USB socket. And that's what the Hudl2 does with the new firmware.

Oh, and you don't need the charger that comes with the Hudl2. I have many chargers that output 2A.

Hudle 2 users - can it be read in daylight? We've got some vouchers to burn and were thinking about getting one.

I bought my daughter one last Christmas.
Having used it on a few occasions, I ended up purchasing one for myself.

Tried one at the store today - seemed laggy and unimpressive - the cheap windows tab next to it was much smoother. Didn't buy it in the end (either of them). Would really like a Lenovo Yoga 2, but that's another £50 (and from John Lewis, so no tesco vouchers). Actually I'd really like a good Windows tablet - I think windows works much better on a tablet than Android, and I have an Android phone - but that's another level of finance. :(

Tried one at the store today - seemed laggy and unimpressive - the cheap windows tab next to it was much smoother. Didn't buy it in the end (either of them). Would really like a Lenovo Yoga 2, but that's another £50 (and from John Lewis, so no tesco vouchers). Actually I'd really like a good Windows tablet - I think windows works much better on a tablet than Android, and I have an Android phone - but that's another level of finance. :(

You sure it was the Hudl2 ,ours is definitely not laggy or unimpressive.

About to buy the Hudle 2 with clubcard points for £50 tonight, any recommendations on a decent case wtih stand, and does it matter which brand of 32gb memory card to use

Nice and snappy performance from the tablet. Email etc setup. Everything works as expected

Generall happy with ours - think we use Nova launcher and my own wallpaper. There's not much installed really, but it's a good way to check facebook & weather forecasts, plus read stuff on Kindle & Kobo.

Another Nova launcher user here, nice and speedy, replaces the Tesco one, defintely wouldn't call it laggy and I have *zero* patience for technology.
We've got Tesco's leather case for it, like it a lot - stands up well, magnetic catch, good fit.

Only thing I've noticed with the tablet is it can overheat after a few hours running a heavy game (Clash of Clans) while charging.
It would occasionally get unstable and I think it's due to the heat charging at high CPU use.
I take the hudl out of the case to let it cool better if I'm using it while on charge and it's not done it since.
Seriously expect this abuse to kill the battery at some point - when I'll buy another hudl...can't beat 'em!

Generall happy with ours - think we use Nova launcher and my own wallpaper. There's not much installed really, but it's a good way to check facebook & weather forecasts, plus read stuff on Kindle & Kobo.

I use it for watching youtube in bed and reading flipboard etc

The only thing that really annoys me is the stupid full volume jingle when switching it on

Last edited:
The only thing that really annoys me is the stupid full volume jingle when switching it on
I've used an app called "Silent Boot" before - but can't remember if using it on the hudl worked...was fine on my Samsung GS4.

I'd like to kill the bloody full volume low battery bingle...but can't be arsed with rooting it.

Got the better half one for her birthday. She really likes it. Screen is nice and vibrant, tablet is fast.

I had a Nexus 7, and while you can't compare the two like for like, the HUDL is 'as nice'. Heavy though in comparison to a Nexus or iPad.

I had one, removed most of the Tescos bloatware (although not alot) and turned off some which weren't needed. Nova launcher installed too. If only it had front facing speakers, like all tablets should it would be spot on.

I think we did too, but it wasn't obvious (which version) because I'm using Nova launcher. Will explore tonight.

Lollipop now installed but it has broken the default email client on the tablet, i cannot send / receive emails

I updated mine to lollipop last night and battery life has increased enormously. Unfortunately, that's because it will no longer run Angry Birds 2.

Just looked - I'm still on 4.4.2 with a 3rd August 2015 build date - so what was yesterday's update all about then? Went through the full install sequence including building apps, so SOMETHING changed.

Bought each of my kids one of these last Xmas, not bad for the money tbh.

Anywho, the charging port on one of them no longer holds the charger "snug", so requires yoga-like balance and very little movement whilst being used and charged at the same time. It is undoubtedly down to the nine months of abuse my 7 year old has given it, but I just wondered what chances of getting a replacement out of Tesco? I've never called upon them to replace anything before :confused:

Sounds promising, I'll give it a go then (when I can pry it out of his hands for more than 2 minutes!)

Back